Is 1,200 calories healthy?

Options
So I’ve been sticking to MFP’s goal of 1,200 calories a day, but I’m so tired lately and sometimes I get a little dizzy and I in general just don’t feel well on this calorie allotment. Do I just need more time to get used to it? (Are we sure that amount is healthy?)

Replies

• Choromyslny
    Choromyslny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’3” female, 27 years old. Not overweight, just trying to lose a little bit. I work in retail so I’m on my feet a lot, but I set MFP to “active” to include all that. I don’t often do other exercises other than that, because it does take up a lot of my time and it’s basically kind of exercise by itself. If I do additional exercises I’ll record them and eat more to even out my net calories.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I used to be on a 1200 calorie diet and often felt dizzy, especially when I lifted heavy
  • Choromyslny
    Choromyslny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1200 calories isn't MFP's goal. It's the goal you told MFP to give you, probably by choosing an overly aggressive weight loss goal (2 lbs a week?) and by categorizing yourself as sedentary when you may not be (sedentary means you spend most of the day sitting or lying down, stirring to do little more than attend to your physical needs -- eating, personal grooming, and such).

Like I said in a comment before, I set MFP to “active.” Also I have it at 1.5 pounds a week.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    The first 79 pounds came off fast for me at 1200 calories but then as I continued to educate myself about TDEE and metabolisms etc, I began to see that I may have really handicapped myself by starting at such a low number. I have 30 pounds or so to go and I have slowly increased my calories and I have lowered my goal each week to half pound and tweaked my activity level to active. It has been a process to learn but oh so rewarding and satisfying to be armed with knowledge for myself, in the context of my body.

I'm basically in this same boat. I lost the majority of my 65 pounds quickly, eating 1200-1400 per day. That was all well and good, but definitely difficult as far as fitting food in to that goal. I was dizzy on occasion. I lost 2lbs per week on average. I realized that I could not continue that path as I got closer to my goal. I've got about 10 pounds to go, so I've slowed down to .5lb per week. I'm losing that or slightly more, happy to be eating more and happy to be learning about my body and caring for it. I did not think I had less energy eating 1200 per day, but now that I am eating 1500ish I can feel the difference.
  • mjffey
    mjffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    1200 is no problem as long as you make sure you get all your minerals, vitamins etc in. I'm on 1200-1309 cals since years. Maybe being vegan makes it easier for me to bulk to make sure i get everything i need. Sometimes i eat less, sometimes i eat more, but most of the time stay between 1200 and 1300. I feel great, not hungry, but it might not be for everybody.