Is weight lifting / free weights the only way?

Options
Hi
So I have no problem with cardio. In fact , I do 1 hours in the morning and another hour in the evening. However , I cant stand lifting weights or even free weights. I cant even do it for 3 mins. However , I would really like to tone my legs , stomach and butt. Now , I know that cardio wont do that , but is there any other ways besides lifting?
Thanks guys !

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    body weight resistance training.
  • z3dreamer
    z3dreamer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There are a number of cardio machines that would also assist in the outcomes you list. Examples: rowing machine, skierg, stair machines and elliptical machines. My gym even has a seated elliptical by Octane Fitness that will do the trick.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    If you want muscle definition or some serious gains, you are going to need to pick up some dumbbells. You can do some body weight lunges or some body weight squats without weights for your butt but using weights will get you to your goal a lot quicker. I hate to say it but you are probably going to have to learn to like them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Haha OP I could have written your post. Just can't do it. I decided I'd rather look a bit more squishy than go through that torture.

I DO try to get 3 sets of push ups 3x a week (or just planks when I'm lazier). It's all I can stomach (just haven't been doing it lately because I was too sore from shoveling and now I'm sick). Won't do a thing for my butt or legs though (wouldn't mind more butt, but my legs are fine). But planks would help with your core too.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I've found cardio did really tone my legs/bottom (running/cycling/walking), but it took the weights to give me better looking tummy area ( I have a 4 pack, the once longed for 6 pack is not happening because I enjoy my food too much and don't care enough about achieving them).

I am not overly fussed on lifting either but it has grown on me :smiley: plus I know its good for my bone health and will help as my body ages, the pros outweigh the cons so I stick with it...however I've found I can maintain my muscles on 15 mins x 3 times a week.

I mostly stick with upper body and very little lower body as I have hip and knee issues and they worsen if I do too much lower body. Planks have turned out to be a no no as well, and I was really good at holding them too for quite a few mins at a time but I paid for it for days afterwards. I push my body to a certain extent but I'm not going to live with pain if I don't have to.
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    body weight resistance training.

This and resistance bands would help realize that whether it is barbells, dumbbells, kettlebells, or body weight all you are needing to do is provide resistance to the muscle you are training to tone them. Simple ankle weights or arms weights would help also.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    I used to hate lifting weights also. I went to a trainer for 2 years just 2x a week and learned the right way to do things. We became good friends and I didn't mind going because we would chat a lot, but honestly, he didn't really push me like a trainer should. Then my 3rd year of lifting, I went to a different gym where the owner taught me a few things and I worked out on my own. He would mix up the exercises but I still wasn't really feeling like I was making progress. In November I started a glute workout on my own (How to build a better butt - or something like that) -- I did a couple months but didn't have the right eqpt for the remaining weeks so then I started another strength training plan and I'm now on week 8 of it. OMG - I'm addicted now. I can really see the results! This is from Betina Gozo and it's a 12 week program she wrote for Women's Health. I did have to pay for it ($20), but it's been worth it! I've increased the amount I've been lifting so much! More in these 8 weeks than the whole 3 years prior. But the reason I'm addicted is because I can really see the results and because I am finally writing down what I lift, I can see on paper the increases I've made.

Also I run 3-4 times a week for an hour. And I ride in a cycling club on Sat/Sun for about 2-3 hours each day. TBH, the lifting has hurt my cycling. If I have a leg day on Friday I just can't go the speeds I used to on the bike. My legs are too sore! So I need to make some decisions ... do I want to keep increasing the weights or do I want to improve cycling.

Just wanted to share that it is possible to turn a cardio maniac like me into someone who loves lifting.
    The only thing I am really struggling with is getting rest days in with all of these exercises I want to do and what am I going to do after week 12 of my current program! :smile:
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    For me, there are just so many benefits to strength training, other than looking "toned." Like a poster above said, building muscle will help you keep bone mass as you age, you will burn more calories even at rest. See article for some of the other benefits. Personally, I have grown to love lifting, and would rather do that than cardio. Give it a chance! There are so many great things about strength training and lifting!
    https://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/add-strength-training-to-your-workout.aspx
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Progressive resistance (either with weights, bands, bodyweight etc) while you lose will be the most optimal way of retaining as much muscle as possible. However, different types of cardio can also stimulate the muscles, although it won't give you the exact same results. In the past, I achieved great results at one point doing plyos, interval training, kickboxing, but it was different compared to the results I achieved lifting.

So it depends on your goals and expectations, if you don't want to lift, don't, but you may have to adjust your expectations of your aesthetics as a result.
  • RunRun72
    RunRun72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys ! I have some friends who just Run or Dance and they have amazing bodies ! They dont strength train or anything
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    ChristyU74 wrote: »
    For me, there are just so many benefits to strength training, other than looking "toned." Like a poster above said, building muscle will help you keep bone mass as you age, you will burn more calories even at rest. See article for some of the other benefits. Personally, I have grown to love lifting, and would rather do that than cardio. Give it a chance! There are so many great things about strength training and lifting!
    https://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/add-strength-training-to-your-workout.aspx

You are right! I forgot to mention that besides getting toned and seeing the results, I need to do this as a woman in my 50s!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    What aspect of strength training don't you like, and what lifts/programs/progressions have you tried?
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    z3dreamer wrote: »
    There are a number of cardio machines that would also assist in the outcomes you list. Examples: rowing machine, skierg, stair machines and elliptical machines. My gym even has a seated elliptical by Octane Fitness that will do the trick.

I found that the seated elliptical isn't worth the bother - if the OP can manage an hour morning and evening of other cardio, that machine will probably have few benefits.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I found having a program to follow was easier than just going in to the weight room and winging it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I take classes which are essentially intervals - weights, cardio and core. Maybe you'd prefer that - people, music, fast movement. I think it's fun!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I wonder what it is about strength training you do not like? Doing something you do not like or enjoy doing certainly is the wrong exercise for you to be doing.

There are plenty of ladies out there with the most amazing genetics and they have body types that already look like they spend hours in the gym. I think comparing yourself to your friends that just run and dance can be defeating.

In closing, I love what strength training does for me so I love that aspect of strength training alone. I get very little body composition changes from running like I do each week. I built enough muscle in my legs, glutes and core to sustain the ability to run, but outside of running if I wanted body composition changes I needed to do something different. Running is/was only going to do some much for changes in physique. Our bodies need to be challenged to grow or change other wise we keep doing the same thing expecting different results. Best of luck!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Before I started doing a structured lifting program, I had a lot of fun with the videos on Fitness Blender - they do a lot of mixed strength/cardio workouts with bodyweight or dumbbells. If you find lifting weights boring, that kind of circuit/interval exercise might be for you. It probably isn’t as optimal as a progressive lifting program, but it’s going to be a lot better than avoiding doing the “optimal” exercise.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about "cardio." That being said, I also want my cardiovascular system to be fit. So I do 20 min of intervals at the end of my lifting sessions - I find that the intervals make that 20 min less boring, I cover more territory in less time, and can easily monitor improving aerobic fitness. All this is to say that if you are "results" driven, you may need to incorporate less favorite options to get the result you are after.