How to kick that dessert addiction?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    They might have some reasonable calorie desserts in your dining hall.

When I was in college I'd normally have coffee with milk and nurse it forever, but I know they had yogurts at the salad bar. (I don't recall if we even regularly had dessert, vs. on special occasions, although we probably did.)

Anyway, I'd try filling up on lower cal, balanced foods and then grab a little something if the calories make sense. Or maybe buy some good dark chocolates and have a small one a night or save dessert (if higher cal) for a couple of times a week only.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Alexson50 wrote: »
    I can demolish an entire tray of cookies without batting an eye, so I feel you on this. My favorite way to end the day now is a cup of plain greek yogurt mixed with two tablespoons of powdered peanut butter and half a scoop of chocolate or banana flavored protein powder. I whip it up and it becomes basically like eating a bowl of frosting. Really fills me up and doesn't kill my macros.

You genius! I've been making large batches of homemade Greek yogurt but never thought of whipping it with PB2 and protein powder. Sounds delicious!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying. It's not easy. Portion control is hard but trigger foods are even worse.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @soukyfitness
    Is that south Kentucky?
    https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/2018/03/12/blue-bell-ice-cream-kentucky-indiana/415795002/

Blue Bell No Sugar Added Vanilla is 90 calories per 4 oz serving. Chop a couple of strawberries into it and go straight to Heaven.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,980 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm jealous of people who can 'just fit a 600 calorie dessert in their calorie limit' because I seriously could never ever do that every day without starving, and that's with a TDEE of 2300 calories.
    Why does a dessert have to be 600 calories?

I usually do just fine with a pint of Halo Top (240-320 calories), or a cup of Greek yogurt or maybe a few chocolate kisses or an Enlightened ice cream bar or something. My most recent favorite dessert is mango mochi ice cream, at about 160 calories per serving.

I was wondering that too.

I've discovered that ice cream bars, for example, will vary from about 100 calories to about 350 calories. So on a weekend toward the end of a long bicycle ride, I might go for a 350 cal rich and decadent ice cream bar. Or if the ride was shorter and 350 might be a little bit much, I'll go for something with lower calories. I still get a yummy treat either way. :)

And the brownie in question in the Original Post ...

Depending on the size of the brownie, it might only be about 300 calories. If it were a massive brownie with icing and a scoop of ice cream ... yes, probably 600 calories. But the brownies we have in bakeries around here are quite small, they aren't iced, there's no ice cream ... and they probably only come in at about 300 cal.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,497 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Don’t keep them in your house or buy them.

this. if their not around you won't have them.

edit... okay, I just read the post about living on campus.

maybe substitute the sugar craving with something far healthier; somebody else mentioned tea. that sounds like a viable option, right?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I'm jealous of people who can 'just fit a 600 calorie dessert in their calorie limit' because I seriously could never ever do that every day without starving, and that's with a TDEE of 2300 calories.

I usually do just fine with a pint of Halo Top (240-320 calories), or a cup of Greek yogurt or maybe a few chocolate kisses or an Enlightened ice cream bar or something. My most recent favorite dessert is mango mochi ice cream, at about 160 calories per serving.

I've discovered that ice cream bars, for example, will vary from about 100 calories to about 350 calories. So on a weekend toward the end of a long bicycle ride, I might go for a 350 cal rich and decadent ice cream bar. Or if the ride was shorter and 350 might be a little bit much, I'll go for something with lower calories. I still get a yummy treat either way. :)

Depending on the size of the brownie, it might only be about 300 calories. If it were a massive brownie with icing and a scoop of ice cream ... yes, probably 600 calories. But the brownies we have in bakeries around here are quite small, they aren't iced, there's no ice cream ... and they probably only come in at about 300 cal.

The 600 cal dessert mentioned is my fault. When I responded to the OP I was remembering my long ago college days--in the 70's with lovely pieces of iced cake on the dessert table. Funny, I was lanky and skinny in those days and ate what I wanted--fast forward 45 yrs and that's no longer the case. Sigh.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

The 600 cal dessert mentioned is my fault. When I responded to the OP I was remembering my long ago college days--in the 70's with lovely pieces of iced cake on the dessert table. Funny, I was lanky and skinny in those days and ate what I wanted--fast forward 45 yrs and that's no longer the case. Sigh.

Nah not your fault. OP mentioned the buffet being the problem, I don't know what kind of desserts they offer there, but in my experience, most buffet desserts (unless it's Chinese buffets) are pretty high calories (and the OP mentioned brownies, by the way). I suppose you could find 200-300 calorie options though.

The thing I would tell myself is that it's probably not worth the calories.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,980 Member
    Options

Nah not your fault. OP mentioned the buffet being the problem, I don't know what kind of desserts they offer there, but in my experience, most buffet desserts (unless it's Chinese buffets) are pretty high calories (and the OP mentioned brownies, by the way). I suppose you could find 200-300 calorie options though.

And from my experience ... unless it was a warmed gluten-free brownie ... it wouldn't be worth it.

I order brownies from time to time from bakeries and dessert menus here always thinking they'll be great, and they never are. They tend to be hard and tasteless hockey pucks.

That was, until I ordered a warmed gluten-free brownie because it was the only dessert item that even vaguely appealed me to at one particular restaurant. Now those are good! :)
  • Francl27
    Options

And from my experience ... unless it was a warmed gluten-free brownie ... it wouldn't be worth it.

I order brownies from time to time from bakeries and dessert menus here always thinking they'll be great, and they never are. They tend to be hard and tasteless hockey pucks.

That was, until I ordered a warmed gluten-free brownie because it was the only dessert item that even vaguely appealed me to at one particular restaurant. Now those are good! :)

I'm with you there. Unless it's our homemade brownies or the ones from our favorite bakery, they're ALWAYS disappointing (like most desserts in restaurants, honestly, let alone buffets).

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

I'm with you there. Unless it's our homemade brownies or the ones from our favorite bakery, they're ALWAYS disappointing (like most desserts in restaurants, honestly, let alone buffets).

agreed, dessert has to be home made to be worth it :smile:
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have gotten much better at eyeballing calories at my buffet style dining! I no longer reach for the fries because I know it will kill my goals. But something about brownies, definitely a trigger food. And late night studying when I'm exhausted doesn't do much for my willpower honestly.
    I will try substituting, I don't know why I haven't thought of that! I love apples so maybe whenever I'm craving candy I'll grab an apple instead. It's really hard when my friends all go eat dessert as well. I'll just try harder to leave room for that "emergency dessert." Hard on 1200 cals but I can do it!
    Thanks again everyone for your replies!

I'm not in school anymore but I still have to pull the occasional all nighter for work--being tired does me in almost every time too. My best strategy is to eat every couple of hours.

For a number of reasons, I eat a very low carbohydrate diet so I choose something that I find satiating and nutritious even if it might put me over my calories--sugar snap peas and guacamole, some bite size spicy salami, strong cheese, and raspberries are a favorite selection to rotate through the night (with coffee, or course). I set a timer and eat a small snack on a regular basis. It helps me power through and my will power isn't tested.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Let me make sure I am reading that correctly -

If you do without *600 calorie* desserts* then you consider that to be "starving"?

How about eating more proteins and vegetables or at least fruits & complex carbs instead?
  • Francl27
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »

If you do without *600 calorie* desserts* then you consider that to be "starving"?

How about eating more proteins and vegetables or at least fruits & complex carbs instead?

I don't understand your question. But yes, I could eat 1700 calories of what you listed and I'll still be hungry, so I can't spend 600 calories on treats (or bread, whatever).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »

That's not what she said. She said that if she uses 600 of her maintenance calories on dessert she ends up starving (presumably because she finds the dessert itself not to contribute much to her satiety).

I don't have that experience (it's quite rare that I have 600 cal desserts, but I don't think I'd be starving on that plus 1700 well chosen cals, but of course people are different), but I get what she is saying. (I avoid regular 600 cal desserts just because it doesn't fit with my other dietary goals at my maintenance calories.)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Yeah, without exercise, I'm on 1400 calories to lose 1/2 per week. 600 is kind of a big chunk, especially since I like to spread my calories out and have small snacks during the day.
  • soukyfitness
    soukyfitness Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Same for me, I'm on 1200 calories and the problem with dessert is anything around 300 calories is a quarter of my calories, and it'll leave the rest of my meals very slim if I stay under my calories. So happy for all this good advice though, and today I looked in the mirror before my plan to eat jelly beans, and decided that jelly beans might ruin my progress so I decided not to advice did a mini abs workout instead!