Need recommendations for a good fitness watch

Options
Susieq2466
Susieq2466 Posts: 17 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Looking to see what fitness trackers everyone has had luck with when it comes to accuracy and etc.

Replies

• _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmins, have had a Vivosmart HR and recently upgraded to a Fenix. Both are great, HR accuracy was very good and both would pair to a HR strap if I want. Step accuracy is always subjective, I'd say they've very good and the Fenix is better than the Vivosmart was but it's just a number and the aim with all trackers is just to get you to aim for and achieve a bigger one/more steps.
    Syncing is generally good and easy to do, Garmin Connect talks nicely to MFP too.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Susieq2466 wrote: »
    Looking to see what fitness trackers everyone has had luck with when it comes to accuracy and etc.

What activities do you want to track, how regularly do you train and what sort of duration are you looking at? Do you have friends and family that currently use any form of tracking?

Without some insight into you, this becomes nothing more than a random selection of suggestions.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I went from Fitbits (4 different ones) to Garmin Vivoactive 3 and couldn't be happier that I made the switch.

Which one is best for you will depend on the kinds of workouts you do and what you want out of the device.
  • palifany
    palifany Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my Samsung frontier. It's a bit pricey, but I love how it can be customized. You can text and place calls as well.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

First, decide if you want an activity tracker that has some training features, or a training watch that has some smart features.

If the first, most any of the main stream trackers will be fine - fitbits, garmin bands, apple watch, etc.
    If the latter, you should really be looking at the garmin watches and/or suunto watches.
  • Margee1965
    Margee1965 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fitbit blaze is a great one !!
  • Susieq2466
    Susieq2466 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input . I am looking to go hard or go home at the gym , but I want it to sync with MFP to count my steps etc. Any other feature is a bonus. My friends don’t do any competition with steps etc so that is not a concern for me . They have apple or Fitbit trackers.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input . I am looking to go hard or go home at the gym , but I want it to sync with MFP to count my steps etc. Any other feature is a bonus. My friends don’t do any competition with steps etc so that is not a concern for me . They have apple or Fitbit trackers.

So in that case you're probably looking at an entry level device. I'd recommend the reviews on DCRainmaker.com.

Personally I'm not keen on FitBit and would get towards Garmin; VivoActive, VivoSmart or VivoMove.

FitBit have a poor rotation for build quality.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

If you want to go hard or go home, check out the Garmin fenix 5 series devices.

They are pricey but you get what you pay for. They have all the standard fitness features plus very advanced features as well.

If you want to get serious with your fitness, it would be a device that you will not out grow.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

So in that case you're probably looking at an entry level device. I'd recommend the reviews on DCRainmaker.com.

Personally I'm not keen on FitBit and would get towards Garmin; VivoActive, VivoSmart or VivoMove.

Seconded, on all points.
  • misskatieanne
    misskatieanne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    _mr_b wrote: »
    I love my Garmins, have had a Vivosmart HR and recently upgraded to a Fenix. Both are great, HR accuracy was very good and both would pair to a HR strap if I want. Step accuracy is always subjective, I'd say they've very good and the Fenix is better than the Vivosmart was but it's just a number and the aim with all trackers is just to get you to aim for and achieve a bigger one/more steps.
    Syncing is generally good and easy to do, Garmin Connect talks nicely to MFP too.

Just wondering what band you paired the vivosmart HR to, as I read somewhere else (when I was searching for which chest strap to buy) that this is the only Garmin HR watch that won't pair with a chest strap. I really want to start using a chest HRM for hill sprints etc as the vivosmart doesn't work well for this on me, so any info on how to do this is appreciated, thanks

OP- I like my Garmin vivosmart HR with gps for running but it is only good for steady state cardio. If I do circuit training or anything that causes spikes in HR it doesn't record properly but I think this is common with all wrist based HR monitors.
    I'm not keen on using it to gauge calories burned when doing weights either, and the strap is coming away after 8 months. The start/ stop button is on the strap so its not a straightforward strap swap either.
    Having the watch has made me more conscious of my sleep and how (in)active I am outside of the gym/ running, which is a good thing and not something I thought about much before. But when this watch breaks I will get a better Garmin that hopefully lasts longer.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

This is the one area where MM and I agree heartily and enthusiastically

Gettta getta geta Garmin!!
  • Creofan
    Creofan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've had Fitbit, Microsoft and Garmin for fitness tracking, and I like my Vívoactive HR and the tracking it provides the best. Well thought-out app, easy to tie into MFP and the link between both is seamless and fast. I'm not easy on my devices, and it has held up well. As noted above, if you want to monitor HR spikes, any wrist-based device is not going to be accurate enough. I too will upgrade to a higher-level Garmin once this one no longer functions.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »

They are pricey but you get what you pay for. They have all the standard fitness features plus very advanced features as well.

If you want to get serious with your fitness, it would be a device that you will not out grow.

Or the Garmin 935, which has all the features of the Fenix 5 (same internals) but a polymer case - and is considerably less expensive.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Or the Garmin 935, which has all the features of the Fenix 5 (same internals) but a polymer case - and is considerably less expensive.

Yep - love mine. Heck, I've even gotten into developing my own custom watchface. But that's beyond the scope of this thread, obviously. IMO. the 935 is a great value buy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

And both way beyond what would meet the originators needs.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

Yes, the 935 is also great.

I did not mention it because I thought the OP may want something a little smaller (like the 5 or 5s), but if she don't mind the larger size, the 935 is also a great choice.
  • 1985mattie
    1985mattie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’ve had my fenix 5 for a year and have put it through its paces and it still amazes me what it can do. If you want to know every last detail of your run or workout it’s a winner. Although I would say it is really overkill if you just want something to track a run or two a week and your daily steps.

The Garmin app is also very good and easy to use. It syncs well with MFP
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want out of it...
  • jjpptt2
    Options

And both way beyond what would meet the originators needs.

Very true. Way to keep us on topic.