Newb lifting questions

Options
lightenup2016
lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I just began Strong Lifts a couple of weeks ago--my first real foray into lifting. I am also still trying to lose weight, and I'm 10-15 lbs from goal. I decided to start SL because I know lifting is good for me as I get older, and I'd like to just get leaner. I'm not looking to become a power lifter, and don't really have any weight lifting goals other than recomp. I'm female, 44, 5'6", cw 145 lbs, if that helps.

I have a few newbie questions for anyone in the know--
1. If I'm eating at a deficit, is it better that I increase the weight more gradually than in the SL program? I also just feel like being more cautious, so I'm only adding weight every several lifting sessions. Does anyone else do this?
2. I run also--not a lot currently, 2-3 miles a couple of times per week, but looking to increase at some point to train for a race later this year. Are there recommendations for how to time the runs with the lifting sessions? For instance, is it detrimental, to my progress, or to my muscles in general, to run the morning after I lift?
3. Once I'm happy with how I look, would I then just continue lifting without increasing weight anymore? What happens if you stop?

Thanks in advance for any advice/info!

Replies

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm quite a bit older and male but here is what my experience has been:

1. I ate at a deficit and increased the weight as the program required - no problem. I also did it adding weight every other session - no problem. I modified the program and add additional lifts but in the same format as SL - no problem.
    2. I run on the days that I don't lift (~5 miles every other day). I had no problem doing both SL and running but found I needed to take a rest day once a week. I was actually able to do SL and run on the same days when the weight was low. As the sets increased (warm ups, choice) and the weight went up I found running on lift days was not such a good idea (tired muscles).
    3. I dropped the weight back down on multiple occasions just because I had no interest in lifting anything heavier than the level I had reached. Running is more enjoyable but I know weight work is a really good thing so I adjust the program as I see fit - no problems.
    4. I found SL to be of benefit to my running. I am now trying a new program (3 months) but am incorporating some of SL into it as well.

Enjoy what you are doing! Modify it as you see fit!
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I ran sl5x5 while training for a half marathon. As the race got closer I cut the number of sets and reps back and only progressed 5lbs per week. I still run 12-15 miles a week while squatting much heavier now than I did then but I alternate lifting and running days.

Stronglifts is a beginner program and only meant to be run for a few moths before moving onto something else. You may be able to modify it to work for you but might find more enjoyment switching up plans every couple months. I used sl for 6 months and the first day on a new plan felt like freedom.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Congrats on your progress and plan! I've done a modified version of SL for well over a year, and prior to that worked with a trainer for 2.5 years.
    3. If you stop lifting you will lose muscle, get flabbier and weaker. At 62 yo, I strength train mainly for the fitness and functional benefits. Any improvement in looks is a bonus, and I've had that too. I'm far from having "arrived". I can't imagine getting to a point where I no longer want to improve, and I hope it never happens. I realize that someday I might be forced to slow down or stop.