Using a food scale

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    the only downside is you start to get really irritated with the database entries that only contain volume measurements rather than weight. 1 Cup of hard boiled eggs.. really?

But, for others' benefit, because I'll bet the person I'm quoting knows:

Be sure to check the drop down. Often some of the old, good, USDA based (but not so labeled) entries in the database have cups as the display selection, but a big list of other options from ounces to grams to varied measured sizes (like 3" diameter) to volumes for slices/cubes/etc., and more.

Try the drop down!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    the only downside is you start to get really irritated with the database entries that only contain volume measurements rather than weight. 1 Cup of hard boiled eggs.. really?

Be sure to check the drop down. Often some of the old, good, USDA based (but not so labeled) entries in the database have cups as the display selection, but a big list of other options from ounces to grams to varied measured sizes (like 3" diameter) to volumes for slices/cubes/etc., and more.

Try the drop down!

I use the drop down. But yeah, some of the entries do not have amounts listed in grams. And it is irritating.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I weigh a good portion of my food, but have learned (through weighing) what a serving of baby carrots or snap peas is so I don't weigh them and I know if I'm off, it's not a big calorie hit.

For some reason, I have an issue with estimating potatoes so I weigh them.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Try the drop down!

I use the drop down. But yeah, some of the entries do not have amounts listed in grams. And it is irritating.

I weigh pretty much everything except packaged (proprietary recipe, non-whole) foods whose nutrition labels only offer volume for serving size. But I don't think the increased convenience to me of not having to scroll past volume entries in the database when I'm looking for a mass entry would justify taking away the option of volume entries for all the people who prefer those entries. Just because I know my way is the right way :smile: doesn't mean everybody else should be forced to do it my way.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

Seriously!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I searched for a food scale thread so I could post this.

Our vet has said we should feed our puppy 1 cup of food in the evenings and 1.5 cup in the mornings. Turns out, one cup of dog food weighs about 100g, so I’ve been measuring it that way. I zeroed out the bowl just now, and eyeballed the amount before weighing it, to see how close I could get.

99 grams. I was just 1 gram off. Yes!!

Eta: Weighing food is important. Oxo scales are awesome.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I weighed every bite I took for several years. It does take time. but when I stopped, I started gaining. I still weigh my breakfast, and have started a modified 5-2 to get back closer to my beloved 173. Got up to 210. Back down to 199.