Can anyone recommend an online meal planning service?

Options
To help with grocery list, recipes for diet restrictions? ideally one where you can plug in your intolerances and restrictions and it give meals with grocery list.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It sounds complicated and backwards and unnecessarily expensive. Can't you take a list of the foods you can eat, find/create/pick recipes you can make from those foods; the ingredients for the meals you are going to eat, constitutes your grocery list.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That's what I would do. It does take research and time and what you can eat/not eat every day for meal prepped foods in order to find the right fit for YOU. I did a lot of planning, measuring, etc when starting the meal prep journey. Once you know what you can eat and tolerate on a daily basis then it becomes second nature
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't know if this is what you're wanting but I just googled 'meal planning website'. Here is a list of 5 websites from this article. Good luck and I hope this works for you. :)
    https://lifehacker.com/five-best-meal-planning-apps-1533809184
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Not sure what this is like, but perhaps could be a good place to start:

https://www.mealime.com/ has a free and pro version
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,292 Member
    Options
    Make a list of food you can eat or like to eat, then the items in that list that you cannot tolerate. For example; Spaghetti. (Wheat flour, tomatoes, oil, cheese, etc.). If you like Spaghetti and you cannot tolerate wheat or gluten, then google "Spaghetti recipes without gluten". You will get many recipes (items in the recipe is your grocery list), then pick the one you like, and cook. For the above example, I got this link http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/wheat-free-noodle-options-to-use-in-your-favorite-dishes/
  • Jennymarie57
    Jennymarie57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will check these out! This is a pretty big community with people at various stages and with different health circumstances so I was also kind of curious if this is a thing..My dr. commented to me today that I was taking on a lot for being in the middle of a health crisis..And yea I am..I'm doing ok, but this little thing may help to take a bit off my plate...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    As you say it's a pretty big online community so it might also help to see if there is anyone in the forums with similar health issues that you can add and swap recipes with (if you're comfortable sharing that info online)
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I use emeals.com and LOVE it. You can't plug in restrictions but you can choose from so many different types of meal plans that it makes it easy and you can switch meal plan types at any time. I did this b/c I wanted to eat heart healthy due to high cholesterol for both me and my spouse. I had no idea where to start and no time to do all the research. emeals.com ends up being $1 per week if you buy the year long subscriptions. it has been a life changer. I get my menu, I add it to my shopping bag, I edit said shopping bag and then order groceries and pick them up and I'm done. it gives all the instructions for the recipes. I love it.
  • Jennymarie57
    Options
    I have a rare form of divirticulitis. It's not like the common disease most people have in their lower large intestine. It was congenital for me, and I have it in my entire large intestine. I'm in recovery now from an infection in the Tranverse intestine. It's very likely I will have surgery to remove my entire large intestine in the near future as a flare can occur for lots of reasons, triggers are hard to determine. I am trying to avoid that though with diet changes..as much as I can help it. Only like 2,3% of world population have this disorder. So it's kind of like blind research at this point..but I'm gonna try anything. It could be worse, so it's not the end of the world, just a challenge for sure.
  • vegmebuff
    edited March 2018
    Options
    jenny6157 wrote: »
    I have a rare form of divirticulitis. It's not like the common disease most people have in their lower large intestine. It was congenital for me, and I have it in my entire large intestine. I'm in recovery now from an infection in the Tranverse intestine. It's very likely I will have surgery to remove my entire large intestine in the near future as a flare can occur for lots of reasons, triggers are hard to determine. I am trying to avoid that though with diet changes..as much as I can help it. Only like 2,3% of world population have this disorder. So it's kind of like blind research at this point..but I'm gonna try anything. It could be worse, so it's not the end of the world, just a challenge for sure.

Oh my goodness...you poor thing! Do you know how you got this horrible thing?? I'm so sorry. What types of foods are you able to handle now? And if you have your large intestine removed, what will that mean for you in terms of dietary restrictions?
    Don't answer if you don't wish to, but I'm curious...are you able to lead a somewhat 'normal' existence once you are in remission?

I'm sure you are aware...but here you go if it's any assistance to you:
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/diverticulitis-diet/art-20048499
  • 0426Jamie
    0426Jamie Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Emeals is fantastic! You can't plug in your intolerances, but they do have several different plans. Paleo, Low Carb, Diabetic, Kid friendly etc. It is $60 for a year's worth of recipes! And it has a shopping list included in it. We have been using it for 3 years and it has been perfect for us!
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I used home chef for about a year. Never really cooked before so really learned how to cook and what to cook so now I know what to get at grocery store. Plus had advantage of portion control early on so that helped. But comes with raw ingredients so could always out things allergic to.
  • Jennymarie57
    Options
    Thanks all for your input:)! My Dr.'s think it was congenital, that I've had it all my life and it's just caught up with me..They say I have the intestines of a 90 year old..but I'm only 40. Surgery is most likely in my near future. They won't know how much they will take out until they open me up. The worst case scenario really is I will have a challenging change in digestion and bowel habits. I'm hoping they don't have to take too much out so soon, but I wouldnt know until i woke up from surgery. I am trying to avoid surgery through diet..hoping I can stay infection free..So far so good, it's been about a month since my last infection.
  • vegmebuff
    Options
    Hopefully your doctor/hospital will offer you support/advice of diet plans, after the surgery etc.,

Perhaps it would be advantageous to pay for a few appointments with a dietitian so you have some other things to consider at the current time to offer you some relief.
  • Jennymarie57
    Options
    I am going to consider the paying for Nutrionist route, seems well worth it just to make sure I am getting what I need out of food with my limited options..It's hard with meal suggestions because they often contain stuff I can't have..mushrooms, tomatos..I don't wish food intolerance in my worst enemy..lol..it's no fun!