Diet fail

Options
Day Three - failed big time. Just can't seem to knock out those last eats in the eveing and middle of the night. I do well all day, til about 730. Then it's like craving overload and will power walked out on me.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry (ie too much of a deficit)?
    Do you eat out of boredom?
    Could you save up for a specific, planned snack in the evening?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    This is a hard habit to break! I'm a big popcorn eater at night while watching TV or movies. It's even harder to stop this kind of mindless snacking when everyone else in the room is doing it, too. My solution was to plan for it. For instance, I'd look up the calories for 4 cups of popcorn with butter. I logged that into MFP early in the day so I'd know what I could eat to stay within my calorie goal. If it didn't fit in with everything else I wanted to eat, I wouldn't do it! Or, I'd eat it without butter and use that butter salt flavoring instead. By the way, salty foods are going to make you retain water, so the next day it might look like you gained some weight. Sometimes I've just grabbed an apple and an ounce of cheddar and snacked on that. It takes discipline to change your habits, for sure. But just keep at it. By day 30 you'll look back and realize that you don't fall off the wagon as often and you'll see that you've lost a pound or four. That's how you make progress. Don't give up!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I save calories for the after dinner/late night snack. Once I eat it, I brush my teeth. If I use up my calories but still want something, sometimes a cup of flavored tea does the trick.

Also make sure you aren't eating at too big a deficit. Sometimes it's better to start out slower and ease into it until you get good habits in place.

Having said that, everyone has those days. Just keep plugging away at it, you'll find the best way to split up your calories and get into the groove :smiley: Good luck!
  • sanfordmom1984
    sanfordmom1984 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank-you so much for all your advice. ❤