Is sticking to calories really enough?

Options
Hi MFP-ers

I started back on the calorie counting and trying to eat healthy/do some more exercise. My question is, is staying within calories (without exercise) enough to get to goal?

The reason I ask is because I walk about 2 miles a day through going to work and back but don’t have a lot of time to do more walking, although I am majorly working towards this. Will my weight loss be compromised if I don’t actively seek out more exercise such as another small walk after work? I am strictly keeping to calories and logging burned calories through Fitbit (with negative adjustments enabled). I will weigh myself monthly and this is coming on to week 3. Is this okay to lose the weight, for now?

Replies

• onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Yup, what you're doing will work. I bet that as you lose you'll start wanting to be more active just because you're able to. Keep doing what you're doing, good luck. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah...but it's harder without exercise because exercise allows you to eat a little more while still accomplishing the same thing. Like if I didn't exercise I could only eat around 1800-2000 calories to lose 1 Lb per week....with regular exercise I can lose that same Lb per week eating around 2300-2500 calories. Plus, exercise is really good for you. That said, walking 2 miles per day is exercise...it's light exercise, but it's still exercise.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Yeah...but it's harder without exercise because exercise allows you to eat a little more while still accomplishing the same thing. Like if I didn't exercise I could only eat around 1800-2000 calories to lose 1 Lb per week....with regular exercise I can lose that same Lb per week eating around 2300-2500 calories. Plus, exercise is really good for you. That said, walking 2 miles per day is exercise...it's light exercise, but it's still exercise.

It probably adds up 150 calories or something... which is better than nothing.
  • hoops1888
    hoops1888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses, this really helps. I just wanted to make sure. Going to aim for more exercise in the future :)
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I lost over 50lbs and the only purposeful exercise I did until that point was walking. One mile at lunch and a mile or so with the dog at night. Else I just was careful about tracking what I ate and stayed at my calorie goal. It's certainly possible - you just have to make sure that you're smart about tracking and logging carefully because you don't have as much wiggle room with food as someone who exercises more.
  • anthonynaylor
    anthonynaylor Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Exercising will help you feel better in general, but diet is where it counts. How often and how much. I've had better luck just eating less often.

As someone who's lost a lot of weight and yo-yo'd twice (not as badly the second time), I think the most important thing is finding a rhythm and being vigilant for times in your life that may throw off your rhythm (change of employment, divorce, kids, etc.)
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    The first couple of months I started last year I literally couldn't do much exercise..... but stuck to the calorie goal and lost weight.

However now 11 months later, I find the endorphins or just shear enjoyment of being active helps KEEP me to that daily calorie goal.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    hoops1888 wrote: »
    Hi MFP-ers

I started back on the calorie counting and trying to eat healthy/do some more exercise. My question is, is staying within calories (without exercise) enough to get to goal?

The reason I ask is because I walk about 2 miles a day through going to work and back but don’t have a lot of time to do more walking, although I am majorly working towards this. Will my weight loss be compromised if I don’t actively seek out more exercise such as another small walk after work? I am strictly keeping to calories and logging burned calories through Fitbit (with negative adjustments enabled). I will weigh myself monthly and this is coming on to week 3. Is this okay to lose the weight, for now?

I lost 20 lbs doing no cardio...although I do lift, but lifting weights 3 times a week won't burn a significant amount of calories...nonetheless it was all about caloric deficit for me (and works for everyone even though you will always have that one person claiming that it's not the case...that person is wrong).