Supplements

Options
What are your guys' opinions on supplements? (Pre workout, BCAAs) If you've used them, what have your experiences been? Trying to decide if I should get some..

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Mostly waste of money. Protein powders can help hit protein goals, but that's it.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I like good pre workout ... I hit the gym at 4:30 straight from bed, lacing 750ml of water with 300mg caffeine, 3g of creatine and some beta alanine for the tingles works wonders for my motivation ..... if I workout later in the day, it’s not needed

Protein powder is only a supplement if you use it to supplement your diet ... for me it’s a food source, I love getting 20g protein in the form if shakes or flavouring oats etc, it makes a good sweet option
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    As others have said, most are actually garbage. Protein is good to hit your goals, I take MV, Fish oil, Vitamin D. Sometimes if I am feeling sluggish prior to a workout I will pop 50mg of a caffeine pill. Much cheaper than a pre-workout and will help you all the same. The only one I don't take that h1udd mentioned is creatine, that actually has a lot of science behind it. Outside of that, the rest will probably do more harm than good and cost you a lot of $$$.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I tried preworkout a couple of years ago and I swear it made me hear colors...
    I don't really need more energy than I already have to work out so I don't use it anymore. I couldn't even drive home properly because my legs had residual shakiness.

Currently I use a Whey Isolate protein supplement for my "dessert" before bed. It has 25g protein and not much else at all.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    @psuLemon has a nice post concerning beneficial supplements, see here.

Also, I was introduced to examine.com on these forums. A great resource to check if you ever want to see what the real science has to say about a particular supplement.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    zoedorman wrote: »
    What are your guys' opinions on supplements? (Pre workout, BCAAs) If you've used them, what have your experiences been? Trying to decide if I should get some..

There really are only a few good supplements out there. Before you buy, I'd ask why you think you need something, what your diet looks like (calories and macros) and what your training looks like.

In general, a good multi vitamin, protein powders, and vitamin D are solid choices.

BCAAs are worthless and pre workouts are ok if dosed properly (95% or more arent).