Overhanging belly

Options
Jolie_K
Jolie_K Posts: 38 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, I've (F27) recently started my weight loss journey and current weight is 165 pounds and I want to lose 30.

I carry most of my weight in my stomach and it hangs a lot. How do you think I will fare when it comes to loose skin?

I do realize it's better to have some loose skin than being unhealthy but I'm quite worried still.

Pic:

https://i.imgur.com/6Kag2sX.jpg

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You are young enough that losing weight now gives you a decent chance of your suddenly unneeded excess skin being, what's the word? "Tightened" over the time span of a very few years.
  • claritea1
    claritea1 Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have your body and same worry. Let’s be friends!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You will probably not have loose skin, I think you'll see stretch marks though.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    I thought you only had loose skin if you were morbidly obese. And you're not even close. Plus, you're pretty young.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, my body would just bounce back. Now that I am old, I believe, as I can see from already losing 50 lbs. that I will certainly have loose skin. Enjoy your ongoing weight loss and try not to stress about after. In clothes, there is always spanks etc. but I really don't think you will have a problem.
  • Jolie_K
    Options
    Thank you all for answering! I really appreciate it I plan to lose it slow and steady and I've started lifting.
    well to be honest, you have some fat to lose. I wouldn't be suprised if you end up with loose skin. Howeve there some things you can do to minimize the damage. It might help if you lose it slowly, drink a lot of water and do cardio.

My sister also used some form of waist trainer during weight loss to avoid flab and she swears by it. Perhaps that could be worth trying?

Thank you for your advice! I''m curious about the waist trainer. How does it work? Wouldn't it just hide the excessice skin rather than removing it?

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    No waist trainer. That's seriously awful advice
  • Jolie_K
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Jolie_K wrote: »
    Thank you all for answering! I really appreciate it I plan to lose it slow and steady and I've started lifting.
    well to be honest, you have some fat to lose. I wouldn't be suprised if you end up with loose skin. Howeve there some things you can do to minimize the damage. It might help if you lose it slowly, drink a lot of water and do cardio.

My sister also used some form of waist trainer during weight loss to avoid flab and she swears by it. Perhaps that could be worth trying?

Thank you for your advice! I''m curious about the waist trainer. How does it work? Wouldn't it just hide the excessice skin rather than removing it?
    It doesn't work. Don't waste your money, it's just another scam from the fitness/weight loss industry. It does nothing but make you sweat around your midsection, which has nothing to do with actual weight loss or slimming any particular area.

Thanks! That's what I thought.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I thought you only had loose skin if you were morbidly obese. And you're not even close. Plus, you're pretty young.

No, you don't have to be obese.

Honestly I think you should prepare for the fact that you'll have some loose skin. That way you're not going to be disappointed at the outcome.

But look into waist trainers. I think it could really help you in this case!

Lets break this down as logically as possible so the op can learn now while she's just starting out.
    Why would a garment like a waist trainer aide in prevention of loose skin?
    How could a tight compression garment ( for lack of a better word) possibly help in this situation?
    It would make ones waist appear smaller . But it's not going to magically build ab muscle or sweat away the fat. That just isn't how our bodies work.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I looked similar to you when I was heavier and I am in my 40's. When I lost the weight I lost the stomach, no loose skin or stretch marks. I think you have a really good chance of not having either given your age and how nice your skin appears to be. I uploaded two pics that I took so you can judge for yourself. Good luck!
  • Jolie_K
    Options
    I looked similar to you when I was heavier and I am in my 40's. When I lost the weight I lost the stomach, no loose skin or stretch marks. I think you have a really good chance of not having either given your age and how nice your skin appears to be. I uploaded two pics that I took so you can judge for yourself. Good luck!

Thank you! That's really helpful. You look amazing!