For breakfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• xkristo
    xkristo Posts: 21
    Options
    Weetabix is so small. So if I'm going to eat those I need at least 4-5, but thanks for the advise.

I think I'll try it someday and see how it "works". Maybe I'll start eating that for lunsj at school.
  • rocklion
    rocklion Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Who told you not to drink protein shakes and why?

I've got some belly fat myself and am in the process of taking it off. Most everything I read talks about eggs being good for breakfast (protein) or oatmeal with a combination of fruits (carbs and protein). The idea behind it is that it fuels you for the day and should help give you energy for your workouts.

Which brings up the question, what are you doing as far as exercise? Food is only the second part of the equation. Do you do any weightlifting? What is your cardio?

You may want to take a look at these aspects as well.

And not having protein shakes is a bit of some wrong advice, IMO. I've talked to a multitude of personal trainers, gym rats and read a number of articles about shakes. I'm not sure I would have it in the morning. But I have a shake after every time I lift. You want to get protein in your body within an hour after lifting to give your muscles a boost at the get go. If you are exercising heavily, the shakes help give you additional protein that's hard to make up unless you're constantly eating chicken and you can mix some oats and fruits in the shakes to help get in some carb loads for energy.
  • Deb2chef
    Deb2chef Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You can eat more if your daily cals allow you to. I also have it for lunch if I am going to have a meal out or takeaway in the evening so that I dont exceed my limit, it stops me from feeling hungry as other low cal meals can leave you unsatisfied.
  • xkristo
    Options
    Many people in my family and many friends have been telling me that protein shakes is bad. I don't know, because I'm new at this stuff. So I did a little research and found at that many people, actually almost 50% of the peoples on the sites says no to protein shakes.
    "It's better to get in the food" blalball.....

Well I do cardio, but its not everyday. I do cardio 4 times a week. Sometimes 5...I do not do weightlifting, because I have this inflammation in my left shoulder. So its kind of hard for me to do it. But I try sometimes to use machines and manuals...

Well, after all you have written, I might consider buying protein shakes. It's just peoples around me who suggest no. So its kind of hard for me to know if its "right or wrong"...
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    ljbhill : Thank you so much! I tink i will make that smoothie tomorrow or some other day, but you do recommend to use protein shake? Beacause, I dont think I get all the proteins I need in my foods...

Ill try oatmeal with nuts, dried fruit. Also heard that suger is good to have in it, but then wouldn't that destroy the whole "healthy" meal?
    Thank you!

Your welcome! I don't add sugar. You can use agave which is like honey but sweeter. It has a high GI level too so you don't get the sugar crash that you may from... well.. sugar! Lol. My sugar tends to go over when I have juice so I only have a glass now and then when I need to up my calories.Mmmmm... love and look foward to my smoothie. Oh... I like them extra cold and so wait for my banana's to rippen, half them, peel them and freeze them wrapped in pastic. Failing that you can add ice-cubes. If you don't want to add protein powder and want a more clean approach (I'm not against protein powder, as long as it's low in sugar. It's apparently good if you're doing weights and keeps you full for longer) you can add LSA. LSA or an egg. Both are also high in protein (cheap and also keep you full for longer). They also provide a whole gamete of minerals and vitamins. More on LSA is in this link-

http://www.energy-fields-health-food.com/benefits-of-lsa.html

It has a mild nutty flavour and goes well in the banana smoothie. You can also substitute milk for soy or almond milk. Just make sure the soy milk you choose is made from actual soy beans and check the labels for sugar. You'll find the full fat versions have less sugar! When they take the fat out, they usually replace it with sugar! If you are interested in the fat/sugar/grain debate you may want to watch the doco 'Fat Head'.
  • Deb2chef
    Options
    I do use protein shakes to, and yes your right It's better to get in the food balance. Protein shakes are recommended for the short term ie a few weeks as a kick start and Not the long term. I did use them a lot in the first couple of months as breakfast and lunch and a balanced meal in the evening and this did work. Now I use the but only now and again.
  • xkristo
    Options
    Wow I must say, you are a smart woman! haha, you really know what you're talking about. Well smoothies has always been my favorite. I drink it very often, and I usually make it myself. Its healthy its good, and always got many proteins!! But think I want to try out using protein shakes and see how that works. I'll of curse drink some smoothies sometimes. ^^

Damn, I just want to get ripped with a pill or something, lol.
  • xkristo
    Options
    I do use protein shakes to, and yes your right It's better to get in the food balance. Protein shakes are recommended for the short term ie a few weeks as a kick start and Not the long term. I did use them a lot in the first couple of months as breakfast and lunch and a balanced meal in the evening and this did work. Now I use the but only now and again.

Well so you use protein only when you train?

But when do I know when to stop.. Since you says that its not for long terms... ?
  • rocklion
    Options
    Well it's going to be completely up to you. And the protein shakes are only necessary if you are doing serious calorie burns. For example, I burn anywhere from 600 to 900 calories during my weekly exercises and on the weekends I sometimes burn up to 1,500 to 2,000 calories on bike rides. My training program has gone to an athletic level, so I have to get more sustenance.

A good alternative is to drink a pint of chocolate milk after an intense workout. It gets protein to the body and the fat helps transport needed vitamins to the body as well as rehydrates you quicker.

But I eat to fuel exercise and vice versa.
  • Deb2chef
    Options
    I used them for breakfast if I was short of time before going to work and lunch time at work as short of time. Yes its a good idea to work out first then have one too if your not eating a meal. For me its a time thing and not skipping meals is very important. I joined MFP months ago and lost weight really fast using this method for a couple of months, Over 9lb but changed jobs and stopped MFP at the end of April as No time. Some weight slipped back on and I had to start again but MFP is truely the best. check out your mates food diarys for inspiration and they will help you along the way. Try and find people with similar goals and work along with them to achieve your target.
  • xkristo
    Options
    Well it's going to be completely up to you. And the protein shakes are only necessary if you are doing serious calorie burns. For example, I burn anywhere from 600 to 900 calories during my weekly exercises and on the weekends I sometimes burn up to 1,500 to 2,000 calories on bike rides. My training program has gone to an athletic level, so I have to get more sustenance.

A good alternative is to drink a pint of chocolate milk after an intense workout. It gets protein to the body and the fat helps transport needed vitamins to the body as well as rehydrates you quicker.

But I eat to fuel exercise and vice versa.

Hmm. Well if im starting on protein shakes. Anyone you recommend? The training helpers in my studio tells my to buy whey...

What kind of shakes to you recommend?
  • xkristo
    Options
    I used them for breakfast if I was short of time before going to work and lunch time at work as short of time. Yes its a good idea to work out first then have one too if your not eating a meal. For me its a time thing and not skipping meals is very important. I joined MFP months ago and lost weight really fast using this method for a couple of months, Over 9lb but changed jobs and stopped MFP at the end of April as No time. Some weight slipped back on and I had to start again but MFP is truely the best. check out your mates food diarys for inspiration and they will help you along the way. Try and find people with similar goals and work along with them to achieve your target.

Ok so I should not take protein shakes every day. Only after training, and if i dont have time for breakfast...?

What is MPF? ^^

Thank you for your help
  • rocklion
    Options

The reason they are recommended for short term is when people rely too much on them as a diet aid and not as a supplement. In some diets, people try to use these like a diet shake. I'll drink this instead of eating a meal. The result is that you're not getting solid food and you can end up gaining because you are on a liquid diet and your cravings increase.

I don't replace a meal with them. I use them to fuel and for combating muscle fatigue. Talk to any personal trainer or nutritionist and they'll tell you if you are actively exercising and your workouts are intense then shakes are a good idea. Even for the long term. I'm not a meathead and avoided them for the long time but I started using them after the advice of two personal trainers and a nutritionist.

Back the OP, it sounds like you aren't on that level of exercise yet, so my advice would be to just keep looking at what you are eating, concentrate on the cardio and also look at strength exercises you can do without flaming up the shoulder. I would also talk to a doctor. You may be surprised. Weightlifting may actually help it. The idea for lifting is that it strengthens the muscles and relieves pressure from the joints. So as you build some muscle, the inflammation may go away.

But once again, consult a doctor before pursuing that route.
  • xkristo
    Options
    Allready been at the doctor. But stupid me went to a dumb doctor. But at least he gave me 1 pill, and 1 cream. The cream is to reduse the pain of the inflammation. And he said that I should still workout, and do all the exersices that I've been doing, but with less weight...

I am training with a friend of mine, and he's taking protein shakes. I dont know how often he takes it, but I think its after every training. I cant say that he's "stronger" than me, or more fit than me.. He bought it about 2 mnds ago...
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for getting into your diet & exercise so early!

Unfortunately, you can't really spot reduce so if your body is hanging on to belly fat it may be the last place you're going to lose. I'd keep up with the cardio..cardio is a great calorie burner.. you could try some HIIT (look it up - many people use different methods) instead of steady state cardio to really rev up your calorie burn during your work outs.

As far as food & protein...

Because you're 18 which is when most males are still growing, I'd really suggest you get most of your nutrients from balanced meals. You can try adding a protein shake after your workouts but I wouldn't really suggest it as a meal replacement approach, and I would probably get the opinion of a dietician. You're still in a pretty sensitive time in your growth stage. I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Whey (they sell them at GNC) if you decide you want to try it out. It doesn't sound like you're doing any strenous exercise on your muscles (like lifting) so I don't know if a protein shake is necessary right now unless you really feel yourself getting sore after workouts.

Rocklion's right though.. some lifting may help with your inflammation. (i'd talk to a doctor or physical therapist about a possible approach). Strength training helps build muscle which also gives you that strong,lean physique that everyone wants and increases your metabolism to help you get rid of that stubborn belly fat. A good combination of cardio, strength training and calisthenics with weights would help. If you can't do weights because of your arm.. you can start with exercises that target your core so that when you do lose your belly, you'll have a tight core underneath (planks, crunches, bicycles, V-ups, Romanian twists, etc..).

If you're working on abs, I strongly suggest staying away from simple carbs and processed whites (table sugar, white bread, white rice, potatoes, etc.). Some people say staying away from dairy also helps them.. I have skim milk with my shake and cheese and yogurt as snacks so I think everyone's different. Processed snacks are also not the best idea.. cakes, cookies, chips, etc. You should try more nutritious snacks like fruit (not too much because it is a simple carb but has a lot of nutrients), almonds, greek yogurt, etc.

I'm usually pretty simple with breakfast but some of my choices are usually:

scrambled eggs with cheese, tomatoes and spinach
    low cal whole wheat wrap with beans, hummus, fresh veggies, etc
    steel cut oats
    greek yogurt with honey, fresh fruit or granola
    whole wheat english muffin
    Kashi Go Lean cereal with skim milk
    protein bar

The times that my stomach gets tightest is when I don't eat late.. I'll go through phases where I'll stop eating by about 7 pm latest. I eat dinner early and make it my last meal. I'll usually make sure it has a lot of protein and very little carbs. And then just have a shake or glass of milk after my workout since I workout late. Everyone's different though but you can try it.

Good luck!