Keto for pets? Keto strips for cats?

Options
100_PROOF_
100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
A friend recommended that I put my dogs on a keto diet. She said that it's the newest trend and that her cat is now in ketosis ( confirmed through strips)
https://www.dog-nutrition-naturally.com/ketogenic-diet.html

I'm well aware of all the myths and bunk that surrounds the keto diet in humans. I know it can't magically cure athletes foot and grow new limbs for amputees but I'm wondering if there's any benefit for pets? I know there's some benefits for humans with certain medical conditions but would it be the same for pets? Fwiw my pets don't have any known medical condition and neither do her cats.

She just said that an online doctor told her all these amazing qualities of the diet for pets. Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this topic?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I once had a dog with seizures. Maybe we should have put her on keto?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    How do you get a cat to pee on a stick? And why on earth would you ever want to?

I was wondering this too. LOL

Cats are not only carnivores, they're obligate carnivores

Exactly this. Cats eat meat.when they eat greens it seems to be to induce vomiting.

Dogs are supposed to eat mainly meat, but they do better with higher protein and lower fat than people do (as I understand it). I really think the rice or wheat or soy in many dog foods is not something that dogs were made to harvest and eat. Meat with a bit of veggies or occasional fruit seems pretty ideal. Flour based treats like a milk one cookie are probably not.

ETA I think the most obvious benefit is tooth care. No flour or sugar = fewer or no cavities. I imagine that it would also be a good diabetes treatment.

I have seen one pre clinical study on using it as part of a cancer treatment in dogs that was showing some promise.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Read up on knuckling under and bowing of legs in puppies from malnutrition.

I just can’t even. Dogs and cats are natural carnivores, and dogs are better off with some carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Read up on knuckling under and bowing of legs in puppies from malnutrition.

I just can’t even. Dogs and cats are natural carnivores, and dogs are better off with some carbs.

A ketogenic diet has carbs, just not a lot. In humans it is usually under 15% of total calories. I doubt dogs need more than that.

... Now I have a mental picture of dogs grazing in a field or picking berries. LOL My dog has never gone after the veggies or fruit in my garden. He has eaten birds and squirrels. He has played with a potato, but it was more to use as a toy to fetch.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    My dogs ate grass, though. I think they find what they need, carb-wise. My one dog loved carrots and oranges.