Snacking at night

Options
I can't stop,eating late at night. I try. Will power isn't working. The moment food is brought in or someone offers me something I say yes. I work out afterwords to try to balance it out. Is there anything I can do besides have more self control? My thyroid is out of wack and they changed my medication. Hopefully that will help some

Replies

• SkinnyMindStarve
    SkinnyMindStarve Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I’m the same way with snacking at night. I try to save an extra 500 calories for the night so I can snack. I’m not going over my calorie goal for the night and my weight is still dropping so it’s all good.
    I just had two chocolate chip cookies and 4 small honey bbq wings.

Maybe try to save some extra calories and drink lots of water
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    What are you eating, why, and exactly when? What is going on around you? Are you hungry? Bored? Craving sugar or chips? Being social? Being mindless because thetes something handy to munch? Figuring out EXACTLY why is the first step to solving it.
    Maybe you can keep them out of the house? Or portion some into a seperate container? Maybe you can assume you will be hungry and plan ahead of time what you will eat, or ask others to stop offering? Heck, maybe you can pick up crochet or criss stitching to krep ypur hands busy during tv?
  • emilycramsey19
    emilycramsey19 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    What are you eating, why, and exactly when? What is going on around you? Are you hungry? Bored? Craving sugar or chips? Being social? Being mindless because thetes something handy to munch? Figuring out EXACTLY why is the first step to solving it.
    Maybe you can keep them out of the house? Or portion some into a seperate container? Maybe you can assume you will be hungry and plan ahead of time what you will eat, or ask others to stop offering? Heck, maybe you can pick up crochet or criss stitching to krep ypur hands busy during tv?

I wish I could keep them out of the house. Its usually sweets and mindless eating. My parebts are type 1 diabetic so we always have sweet stuff around. Its usually from 8 pm to 2 am
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    I had to start going to bed earlier. I also eat in a window, like intermittent fasting style. So I get up at 5AM, have breakfast at 8-9AM (600-700 calories) A midday snack 200-300 calories. Then my supper is at 4PM, with whatever calories I have left. Sometimes that includes dessert afterwards, sometimes not. The kitchen is closed after that.

Then I'm in bed by 9.

It works for me.
  • remoore23
    remoore23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I often have this same problem. I've gotten better about it but it's so easy to slip back into it. Some things I've found helpful are drinking herbal tea instead of snacking and keeping my hands busy by knitting or doing cross-stitch when I watch TV so I'm not amusing myself by eating. I also try to keep most sweets and snack items things out of my house because I know if it is there, I WILL eat it.

It must be difficult with having sweet stuff in your house for your parents. My parents are not diabetic but they like to snack and they like good food and they always have little snack items around. And also things like nice cheeses, liverwurst, lamb, etc. It's almost impossible for me not to snack when I visit them.

One thing I read about that sounds cheesy but surprisingly sometimes helps me is to try to imagine that the food item is something other than food. Like imagining that a bag of potato chips is actually filled with wood chips. I know it sounds stupid but sometimes it helps lessen the urgency of eating the snack item for me.
  • emilycramsey19
    Options
    remoore23 wrote: »
    I often have this same problem. I've gotten better about it but it's so easy to slip back into it. Some things I've found helpful are drinking herbal tea instead of snacking and keeping my hands busy by knitting or doing cross-stitch when I watch TV so I'm not amusing myself by eating. I also try to keep most sweets and snack items things out of my house because I know if it is there, I WILL eat it.

It must be difficult with having sweet stuff in your house for your parents. My parents are not diabetic but they like to snack and they like good food and they always have little snack items around. And also things like nice cheeses, liverwurst, lamb, etc. It's almost impossible for me not to snack when I visit them.

One thing I read about that sounds cheesy but surprisingly sometimes helps me is to try to imagine that the food item is something other than food. Like imagining that a bag of potato chips is actually filled with wood chips. I know it sounds stupid but sometimes it helps lessen the urgency of eating the snack item for me.

That does sound cheesy but I might try it
  • holytricoli
    holytricoli Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Once I am finished with dinner, I drink a bunch of water. Then I brush, floss, and use mouthwash. I'm a lot less likely to eat snacks if I've already taken care of that for the evening.
  • emilycramsey19
    Options
    Once I am finished with dinner, I drink a bunch of water. Then I brush, floss, and use mouthwash. I'm a lot less likely to eat snacks if I've already taken care of that for the evening.

Thats a wonderful idea. Thank you