Weight Gain on This Meal Plan - Help?

Options
Hi! One week ago, I weighed myself and the scale read 114.8. I am 5'5 and 19 years old. I was eating very little before, and I wanted to test the waters to see if I could eat a tad bit more to maintain my weight (only 150 calories more). I weighed myself today and my weight was 118.2. I am sedentary and this is what I have been eating for the past week:
1 cup Golean cereal
2 hard boiled egg whites
1 cup coffee with Splenda and 3 tbsp of fat free cream
1 cup of plain spaghetti squash
1 cup of strawberries
1 Light and fit Greek yogurt (80 calories)
1 head of lettuce with 3 tbsp of fat free vinagrette (10 cal/tbsp)
1 medium carrot (40 cal)
2 sugar free Jellos (20 cal)
1 Greek yogurt (80 cal)
4-5 oz lean mea (chicken, salmon, swordfish, pork tenderloin, etc)
1 large steamed zuchinni
1 medium to large steamed summer squash
1 cup light vanilla soy milk (70 cal)
1 Greek yogurt (80 cal)

Do you think that I actually gained that weight in a matter of a week? I am sedentary, but I still don't think I eat enough to be gaining.

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Scale weight fluctuates during the month for menstruating females, with water retention being the main culprit, anywhere from 2-10 pounds. As has been pointed out, the calories-in math doesn't support a several thousand calorie surplus needed for fat gain. Your anxiety level must be hard for you to live with ... as folks have suggested, seeing a counsellor might be helpful.
  • saraclark62
    saraclark62 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Weight gain of 3.4lbs.
    To be fat gain that would have to be a calorie surplus of approximately 11,900 calories.
    You obviously know you didn't have that kind of surplus.

Your food choices are very "diet food choices" - why?
    Are you recovering from an ED perhaps?

yes :(
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Weight gain of 3.4lbs.
    To be fat gain that would have to be a calorie surplus of approximately 11,900 calories.
    You obviously know you didn't have that kind of surplus.

Your food choices are very "diet food choices" - why?
    Are you recovering from an ED perhaps?

yes :(

*hugs* Talk to your team.
  • saraclark62
    Options
    I am just really nervous this is true weight gain
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I would agree with everyone above me here. It is your choice on how you want to eat, but coming from someone who has at least 2 horrible relationships with food. First a hedonistic eater/ binge eater, then a restrictive eater, don't follow down my road. I now see someone once a month to help me get out of that mindset. Seek help and enjoy life! You are young! To be your age again!!! Speak to your doc, please, please, please!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Talk to your treatment team.

This is common when coming out of calorie restriction. It's not true fat, and it's not anything that you've done wrong. It's water weight, and food weight, and glycogen getting restored. It sucks, but it's normal and natural, and you just need to power through it and not let your ED call the shots.
  • saraclark62
    Options

This is common when coming out of calorie restriction. It's not true fat, and it's not anything that you've done wrong. It's water weight, and food weight, and glycogen getting restored. It sucks, but it's normal and natural, and you just need to power through it and not let your ED call the shots.

So even though my ED tells me I look physically bigger than I did last week I shouldn’t believe it to be true? I also have the scale weight evidence to support me putting on weight :(
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It is water weight. Not fat - there's no way it could be. The foods you listed aren't even enough for one day for most people, let alone 1 week. You really need to talk to a professional, not a random message board.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone seek help. I gained a little over a lb overnight and I know its not fat. its water weight. same way when I go up say 4 lbs a couple days later. I know its water because Im not eating enough over my TDEE to gain fat. when aunt flow gets ready to come to town I can gain up to 7 lbs of water 2 weeks before it starts. I retain water longer than probably most people.

even if you were to severely overeat one day and ate normally the rest of the week the scale would go up some because of that extra food that you ate, but its not true weight,you will pass most of it eventually. your main focus right now should be your treatment team and developing a healthy attitude towards food and eating enough for your body to function properly,not weight loss or gain. not to mention weight fluctuates hour to hour,day to day,week to week. its normal for it to fluctuate. clothing can fit tighter due to water weight as well. call your team ASAP!