Diet and Workout Problems

Options
xsix
xsix Posts: 62 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been going hard in the gym and at Muay Thai again for about three months. I train about five days a week. Muay Thai workouts consist of cardio and calisthenics for about two hours a night three days a week, on the other two days I go to the gym and do an hour on the procore machine, Kettle Bells, and sometimes may even hit the heavy bag.

I had to become a Carnivore again, because of the need to recoup my calories, I have been unable to recoup the calories after working out because of the calorie content in vegetables whole (I was previously Vegetarian). Even then I can easily burn well over three thousand calories and sometimes as high as five thousand on days that I work out. I believe my calorie deficit is high enough.

Needless to say, I went to see my Nutritionist today and found out I gained about four pounds, and my blood sugar is running high? My diet is reasonably clean and my calorie expenditure is high enough that I can only surmise that I might of put on some muscle, or on a long shot water retention. I'm pretty sure that caloric deficit + impetus = weight loss.

As such, I have heard good things about the Keto diet and i'm thinking about trying it out. Has anybody on here had good experience with it? Can anybody offer any insights on tweaks I can try to fix the problem?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You just need to eat a little less. The high blood sugars might be hereditary.
  • xsix
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I suspect I could go lower on the calories, I only upped them after talking to my Nutritionist. However, I was eating way less then what I eat now. I'm already at a deficit and Muay Thai workouts can be brutal. easily 1000 calories burned and hard work on the muscles as well. The problem is not feeling all beat up by the time the next class comes up. I was actually estimating 500- 700 calories burned for MT and about that in the gym as well. Then I started using an HR monitor and a Misfit Shine. I found out that I am burning 2X was is estimated in the MFP and Map My Workout apps during a session. This led me to believe I was at too much of a calorie deficit, and after sharing this information with my Nutritionist she advised me to eat some more. I was food logging for quite a bit as well, but I had to stop due to time constraints, however, I keep my diet reasonably clean most of the time. Yes, I do need to get my fitness journal going again which means food logging it helps and would provide more data to come up with a formula for weight loss.

Vegetarian habits, I was an Ovo- Lacto Vegetarian and could eat 6 or 7 heavy meals, if they were clean meals I had problems eating about 1500 calories a day when you take into account portion size and other factors.

Keto seems like an option because it claims to encourage fat burning and helpt to lower blood sugar. I would consume the calories to burn for energy through fat but cut the carbs. Not sure about how it's going to work out if I do it, but I do like me some bulletproof coffee/tea.
  • Horsekeeper
    Horsekeeper Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For what it is worth, I was successful losing weight on the Keto diet, and gained it all back and more after going off it. For me, it was not long term sustainable - I lasted about a year on it.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I didn't see if you posted your stats but I find it hard to believe you are burning 1000 calories a gym session or MT session unless you are a really heavy person.

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Well, gee, what could it hurt? Give it a try. I can't vouch for it because I've never tried keto, but I haven't heard of anyone having adverse effects from it. If after a month it isn't for you, you will have learned something!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Saw this Vox video on Keto last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgtLKeCkCiw

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/2/21/16965122/keto-diet-reset

"...The more extreme a diet, the harder it is to adhere to, and the ketogenic diet is extreme. “But wait”, you say, “I’ve been on the ketogenic diet for five years and it’s easy!” That may be true, but randomized controlled trials don’t lie. The average person can’t even stick with the diet for six months, as judged by urinary ketone levels. The minority of people who find it easy, get good results, and stick with it are the ones who write about it on the Internet..."
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    For the high blood sugar, I'd recommend going to your doc and ask them about blood glucose monitoring. Blood glucose monitoring will let you know what it is that you are eating that is spiking your blood sugar. Is your nutritionist a registered professional? If so, ask them about how to eat to lower your blood sugar.

Be careful with the Keto diet! For some people going too low carb can have some nasty side effects like fainting, light headedness, and really low energy in general. With the volume of training you do, I don't think you can afford that.
  • xsix
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    xsix wrote: »
    I weigh 236 pounds at the moment, I did not believe it my self and today but I only really ate 1500 calories today of which and worked out this morning about 870 calories burned, did not go as hard as usual today.

To clarify, when eating clean you do not eat junk, you can eat junk and create a calorie deficit which is not where I want to be. My idea is to create a calorie deficit by eating healthy food for the most part. Not eating clean while reducing calories = poor gains and no energy in class.

s5mfe4ddnn7b.jpg

"A two-hour Muay Thai session in Thailand, if you push it hard, might burn anywhere from 1000-1500 calories including the run most Thai gyms have students do before training. I generally estimate around 1200-1300 IF you did a run before training, but it could be more or less depending on what you are doing and how hard you are doing it. If your “training” is mostly sitting around and talking to people around you, then cut that amount in four. If you’re hitting the pads and bag like your life depended on it and filling your break periods with pushups and sit-ups, you stay for clinching and sparring, and you knee and teep the bag 200 times after training, and you do 30 minutes of skipping or a 30 minute run before the session then 1500 calories might be a solid figure."

My Coach is a beast!!!!! To put it lightly her workouts put Thai coaches to shame and she trained and fought there, she puts us through it!

This is certainly not true, especially since there isn't a standard one what eating clean means. And you can easily gain weight eating all natural "clean" foods, especially when those foods are higher in fats like avocado's and nuts.

Having said that, why would an active male only eat 1500 calories, when you are that active? Also, can you open your diary to the public so we can see where your issues are? I get the sense that you aren't logging consistently which can easily be the issue or if you are logging, you aren't using a food scale.

I'm big on cyber security so I usually don't leave my profiles on any site open to the public. If you want to take a look let me know and we can talk offline. I'm in school full time at the minute and did not have enough time to enter everything into MFP last month admittedly calorie logging on line has been hard to keep up with, I have to get my fitness journal back up to full sped again, school took it out of me last two months. Thanks for the help

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I weigh 236 pounds at the moment, I did not believe it my self and today but I only really ate 1500 calories today of which and worked out this morning about 870 calories burned, did not go as hard as usual today.

To clarify, when eating clean you do not eat junk, you can eat junk and create a calorie deficit which is not where I want to be. My idea is to create a calorie deficit by eating healthy food for the most part. Not eating clean while reducing calories = poor gains and no energy in class.

It might surprise you, but this is often categorically false. Here is an anecdotal piece where the person claims that he suffered no drop in gym performance - possibly even had better performance than usual - while eating nothing but fast food (simply as an experiment) for a month - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10534218/fast-food-for-the-month/p1.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

s5mfe4ddnn7b.jpg

"A two-hour Muay Thai session in Thailand, if you push it hard, might burn anywhere from 1000-1500 calories including the run most Thai gyms have students do before training. I generally estimate around 1200-1300 IF you did a run before training, but it could be more or less depending on what you are doing and how hard you are doing it. If your “training” is mostly sitting around and talking to people around you, then cut that amount in four. If you’re hitting the pads and bag like your life depended on it and filling your break periods with pushups and sit-ups, you stay for clinching and sparring, and you knee and teep the bag 200 times after training, and you do 30 minutes of skipping or a 30 minute run before the session then 1500 calories might be a solid figure."

My Coach is a beast!!!!! To put it lightly her workouts put Thai coaches to shame and she trained and fought there, she puts us through it!

This is certainly not true, especially since there isn't a standard one what eating clean means. And you can easily gain weight eating all natural "clean" foods, especially when those foods are higher in fats like avocado's and nuts.

Having said that, why would an active male only eat 1500 calories, when you are that active? Also, can you open your diary to the public so we can see where your issues are? I get the sense that you aren't logging consistently which can easily be the issue or if you are logging, you aren't using a food scale.

I'm big on cyber security so I usually don't leave my profiles on any site open to the public. If you want to take a look let me know and we can talk offline. I'm in school full time at the minute and did not have enough time to enter everything into MFP last month admittedly calorie logging on line has been hard to keep up with, I have to get my fitness journal back up to full sped again, school took it out of me last two months. Thanks for the help

Id recommend getting your logging practices down to actual assess your calorie intake. Its quite easy for calories to add up, regardless of eating clean. Even trained professionals under count their intake by as much as 400 calories.... So consider what can happen with someone who isn't trained.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    OP: I seriously doubt that you ca burn 3-5k cals in 2 hrs (muay thai, swimming, running, cycling, rowing or whatever) but, even assuming that this is true, if you are gaining weight, it is undeniable that you are eating more cals than you are burning.

Doesn't matter what you eat. If CI>CO, you will gain weight and the only solution would be to eat less and/or exercise more. How you go about achieving this, is entirely up to you.
  • xsix
    Options
    For the high blood sugar, I'd recommend going to your doc and ask them about blood glucose monitoring. Blood glucose monitoring will let you know what it is that you are eating that is spiking your blood sugar. Is your nutritionist a registered professional? If so, ask them about how to eat to lower your blood sugar.

Be careful with the Keto diet! For some people going too low carb can have some nasty side effects like fainting, light headedness, and really low energy in general. With the volume of training you do, I don't think you can afford that.

Solid!

• xsix
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Saw this Vox video on Keto last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgtLKeCkCiw

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/2/21/16965122/keto-diet-reset

"...The more extreme a diet, the harder it is to adhere to, and the ketogenic diet is extreme. “But wait”, you say, “I’ve been on the ketogenic diet for five years and it’s easy!” That may be true, but randomized controlled trials don’t lie. The average person can’t even stick with the diet for six months, as judged by urinary ketone levels. The minority of people who find it easy, get good results, and stick with it are the ones who write about it on the Internet..."

Armold Swartzenger Bodybuliding Encyclopedia has a section on this it's only recommended for short periods of time if at all, i'm only planning on doing it for a set amount of time 3 to 6 months. When I was younger and competing in Martial Arts I tried to get into Keto its hard to maintain, but I did notice more energy, solid info thanks!