Should I lift weights?

Options
So I at the beginning of the year I was 349 now im down to 303 and ive been doing cardio and been on a high protein low carb diet. I always see people at the gym lifting weights. I'm curious if should be doing that? Or when should I start lifting weights?

Replies

• sflano1271
    sflano1271 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights it changes your body B)
  • Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    yes doing weightlifting and cardio will yield better results and you can do them both in the same day. Doing Plyometrics is really good too and burns alot of fat. best of luck!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Lift now. As you lose, you lose a combination of both fat and muscle. Doing some form of strength/resistance training, along with adequate protein intake, will help you minimize as much muscle loss as possible (and at your size it wouldn't be out of the realm for you to build some muscle for a bit as well!)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • GamerLevelingUp_GymLife
    Options
    yes doing weightlifting and cardio will yield better results and you can do them both in the same day. Doing Plyometrics is really good too and burns alot of fat. best of luck!

Thank you, now I got to look up plyometrics
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yes, undertaking some sort of progressive strength training whilst losing weight is a very good idea, and the sooner you start the better. It doesn't have to be weights, depending on your ultimate goals. Bodyweight exercises, done progressively (ie modifying as you increase strength to ensure they're still challenging), will get you a decent way in terms of strength gain, and many people feel more comfortable starting out there, especially if they're completely new to strength training.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Strength training (whether that be weights, body weight or another form of resistance training) is a really good idea if you are trying to lose a lot of weight, not because it helps to burn calories (it doesn't burn a whole lot) but because it helps you to maintain your muscle whilst you are losing weight, it can also decrease your risk of osteopirosis and improve things like your posture.

As an example my 2 pics here I'm around the same weight, October was whilst I was doing more cardio as I was busy doing C25K and Hiking a lot, then I got back to weight training over the winter. I've a long way still to go to get to where I want to be, but I the weight training is getting me there a lot quicker than I would be without.

• YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    *without reading anything*
    Yes!
  • GamerLevelingUp_GymLife
    Options
    You guys are awesome I really appreciate everyone's input. Ive been so unsure and too shy to ask anyone at the gym :)
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Yes. Sooner rather than later. I’m a big fan of bodyweight training because it involves a lot of functional movement that will help you in your everyday life with balance, flexibility and strength. It also is a lot of getting up and down off the floor, which for the most part lifting doesn’t, and that is invaluable as you get older (I’m 56).
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    So I at the beginning of the year I was 349 now im down to 303 and ive been doing cardio and been on a high protein low carb diet. I always see people at the gym lifting weights. I'm curious if should be doing that? Or when should I start lifting weights?

Good comments above, particularly by @Nony_Mouse

I'll just add my 2c:

The best way to lose weight and be fit and healthy is to do it in a way that you enjoy and can keep doing.

Don't force yourself to do it in any way that is punishing yourself.

Count your calories, be active, and enjoy life.

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Why not?