PCOS and Weight Loss

Options
I haven't been on MFP in a LONG time... I was making good progress with my weight loss goals and then I met a new man. We spent lots of time going out and eating out and I derailed. We are now married and I am at my heaviest! We are trying to start a family and in doing so I have been diagnosed with PCOS. I am trying to learn as much as I possibly can about what I'm supposed to eat or not eat and sometimes I feel like people who deal with it every day can supply the best knowledge.

Is there anyone else out there who is dealing with the same thing? So far I am discouraged by a lot of things about it and I'm just trying to find a little faith that we'll be able to have the little family we've dreamed of... and that I will be thin enough to keep up with them!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    PCOS causes hormonal disturbances, often resulting in metabolic syndrome, thus following a diet that is suggested for Diabetics might help you lose weight if it is low enough in calories to produce a daily deficit. For myself, I had to learn to stay away from highly processed foods, sweets and pastries. Eating grains is OK if you limit how much in a day, and whole grains are a better choice ... so brown rice instead of white, whole grain bread instead of French, Italian, or white sandwich bread. Carbs are not an enemy when you have PCOS, but too many of them are. I find that I do well when I limit my carbs to less than 45 grams per meal.