Pre work outs

Options

Replies

• h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    drink cup of coffee if you need a energy boost.

Coffee only has 95mg caffeine in 8oz ... you would need to drink a 24oz coffee to get anywhere near a PWO

Can’t see many people working out with that much fluid in them .... then there is the lack of tingly beta alanine... I suppose you could drink 1 coffee have a caffeine pill, a teaspoon of alanine another of creatine ... but then you might as well buy a PWO

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Options
    kshearer13 wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I swear by my preworkout. I workout in the morning super early and so without it I'd never get up. I keep it by my bed so when my alarm goes off I can quickly shake it up and then by the time I put my workout clothes on it's started to kick in. Coffee would likely work too but I couldn't keep it by my bed and it would never kick in that quickly. I also do a lot of circuits, or plyometric movements, and weight/cardio combinations and I have so much more energy and power when I take it. I have found that I often burn 100-150 calories more per workout with it, than without it. I use C4 and I love it.

You do realize that stimulant feeling that you get from it is literally from the caffeine in your pre workout right?

You just happen to put back 200mg in 30s rather than about 110 in the course of 15 minutes.

Yah but the difference is preworkout is enjoyable. Coffee hurts my stomach, I would have to take the time to make it and drink it in the morning (couldn't leave it beside my bed), and generally I can only stomach it with more milk and sugar than actual coffee. And although the caffeine is the same, I feel so much better after C4 than coffee. So Id rather have preworkout. It also has creatine, beta-alanine, and B vitamins.

Do you just want the caffeine because you can get bulk caffeine for a fraction of the price? I would also question what your workout is, to determine if there is a need for beta-alanine or l-citrulline.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I don't use anything pre workout beyond a protein rich breakfast and a V8 Energy drink, which has green tea and 90mgs of caffeine, I believe. I use a recovery shake afterwards, depending on how hard I workout.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    I didn't read the replies but im sure there's atleast one of the "WASTE OF MONEY JUST DRINK COFFEE" so before anything if you are on a budget, yea go coffee. If you have the extra money to spend on something like supplements, go for it.

It isn't some weight loss wizardry but I would treat it like an energy drink. What I would do is avoid proprietary blends since its a way for companies to dust in ingredients and state that it contains "x ingredient." For example cellucore pre workout, which has a stupid low amount of creatine but since creatine looks good on the label(teacrine been another one lately)... Getting back to ingredient listings, I would do research on each ingredient examine.com is a great place to find the actual studies/results and the clinical dosing on each ingredient.

As for what I would recommend? I would say do what I said above and just try different ones out. See which one you like the most. If you have a membership to gnc or something ask them if they have any pre workout samples. I personally prefer MTS ruckus just cause the ingredient listing and those ingredients being at clinical dosing. To top it off they use quality ingredients and if you know anything about supplement ingredients... some of those ingredients are quite expensive. Also I like MTS due to their transparency which most supplement companies don't do.
  • kshearer13
    kshearer13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I swear by my preworkout. I workout in the morning super early and so without it I'd never get up. I keep it by my bed so when my alarm goes off I can quickly shake it up and then by the time I put my workout clothes on it's started to kick in. Coffee would likely work too but I couldn't keep it by my bed and it would never kick in that quickly. I also do a lot of circuits, or plyometric movements, and weight/cardio combinations and I have so much more energy and power when I take it. I have found that I often burn 100-150 calories more per workout with it, than without it. I use C4 and I love it.

You do realize that stimulant feeling that you get from it is literally from the caffeine in your pre workout right?

You just happen to put back 200mg in 30s rather than about 110 in the course of 15 minutes.

Yah but the difference is preworkout is enjoyable. Coffee hurts my stomach, I would have to take the time to make it and drink it in the morning (couldn't leave it beside my bed), and generally I can only stomach it with more milk and sugar than actual coffee. And although the caffeine is the same, I feel so much better after C4 than coffee. So Id rather have preworkout. It also has creatine, beta-alanine, and B vitamins.

That's definitely a subjective thing. I love coffee and can stomach it just fine (it's the first thing I do first thing in the morning every morning), but can't stand the way preworkout makes me feel. Jittery, flushed and sour stomach. I don't enjoy it at all.

How are you determining that you burn 100-150 calories more after taking a preworkout?

Of course it's subjective. Obviously you prefer coffee and I prefer preworkout. I was simply stating why I prefer preworkout and why my choices may not be the same as someone else's.

The thing I hate most about the fitness industry is that so many people think their way is the only way, their product is the best product, their workout is the best workout. And I actually love that people get so passionate about workouts and products. But, it shouldn't come at the expense of thinking everyone else is wrong, or this absolute idea that only one way is THE way. Of course, there are facts in fitness and health, but there is also a lot that is subjective, and there is a lot that we still don't know.

As far as calories per workout, I found a difference but others may not. I was actually curious when I started using preworkout so my trainer at the time and I did some experimenting. I use a polar H7 (now I have the H10). Yes I know there is a lot of debate about heart rate monitors. Polars chest straps are still some of the best. But basically we did workouts on multiple days and tried the same workouts with and without preworkout. There's always some differences in calorie burn, but over just under a month we found I was burning on average 100-150 calories more, depending on the workout, with preworkout compared to without. It actually just makes sense that if you have more energy you'll workout harder. I'm not even saying that this wouldn't be the same for someone drinking a coffee before or having a really good meal. Those just aren't the things I do. Also, more than that I enjoyed workouts more with preworkout because I was more energized, workouts were more successful for me, I felt stronger, still do. That's why it's my choice.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I didn't read the replies but im sure there's atleast one of the "WASTE OF MONEY JUST DRINK COFFEE" so before anything if you are on a budget, yea go coffee. If you have the extra money to spend on something like supplements, go for it.

It isn't some weight loss wizardry but I would treat it like an energy drink. What I would do is avoid proprietary blends since its a way for companies to dust in ingredients and state that it contains "x ingredient." For example cellucore pre workout, which has a stupid low amount of creatine but since creatine looks good on the label(teacrine been another one lately)... Getting back to ingredient listings, I would do research on each ingredient examine.com is a great place to find the actual studies/results and the clinical dosing on each ingredient.

As for what I would recommend? I would say do what I said above and just try different ones out. See which one you like the most. If you have a membership to gnc or something ask them if they have any pre workout samples. I personally prefer MTS ruckus just cause the ingredient listing and those ingredients being at clinical dosing. To top it off they use quality ingredients and if you know anything about supplement ingredients... some of those ingredients are quite expensive. Also I like MTS due to their transparency which most supplement companies don't do.

While i don't doubt MTS could be a good company, I personally struggle to understand why they haven't used more the proven supplements (i.e., Citrulline Malate) in there pre workout but rather component a only demonstrated as beneficial by the designer.

For example, outside a crap ton of caffeine, their main ingredient is Trimethylglycine (TMG). While it appears there are some cardio protrective qualitiea the performance aspects are unreliable. To discuss, below is an excerpt from examine.com:

"Finally, betaine has been recommended as a performance enhancing compound, although with quite unreliable results. When taken at 1.25g twice daily, betaine has at times been linked to increased power output (only to fail in other instances) and minor increases in workout volume and endurance (a bit more reliable than power output, but still not a consensus). The overall effect size or how much betaine benefits the subject seem to be quite small, and at this moment in time all studies finding benefit with betaine supplementation have been associated with Danisco (DuPont Nutrition) a producer of betaine."

https://examine.com/supplements/trimethylglycine/

The evidence in Taurine is minimal at best. It has been demonstrated to increase bloodflow in type 1 diabetics to a point of normalizing it tona control group.

L- Tyrosine

This is a very theortical compound which doesn't seem to much promise according to examine.com but they do caution the use as it can have adverse interactions with some medicines.

IMO, not that you are asking, there are much higher quality preworkout drinks on the market than MTS, which actually have ingredients that are tested and proven, like Legion products or maybe JYM.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    IMO, not that you are asking, there are much higher quality preworkout drinks on the market than MTS, which actually have ingredients that are tested and proven, like Legion products or maybe JYM.

This topic is of interest to me. I scoured all the pre-workouts available at the Vitamin Shoppe and think I found a pretty good one (haven't purchased it yet, waiting to finish my C4). It's "Outlift" by Nutrex Research...

s8oooww0lszf.jpg

Would love to hear what you think!
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »

This topic is of interest to me. I scoured all the pre-workouts available at the Vitamin Shoppe and think I found a pretty good one (haven't purchased it yet, waiting to finish my C4). It's "Outlift" by Nutrex Research...

s8oooww0lszf.jpg

Interestingly enough, BA and Citrulline are both adequately dosed. Creatine is a bit underdosed, but if you want creatine, then it should be 5g and its own daily supplement. And thr BCAAs seemed to be dosed correctly although, there isnt a benefit to them since MPS and protein turnover need all 12 amino acids.

So compare price to see if you are paying for stuff that should be supplemented separately or dont need (i.e., BCAAs)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Kalex1975 wrote: »

s8oooww0lszf.jpg

Creatine is underdosed. Beta alanine is marginal and the piperine is superfluous in the absence of Turmeric.

Get thee to examine.com and then go on amazon for bulk powders.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I trained extremely hard for years and NEVER took any stimulants, energy drinks or any of that.

Just water at the drinking fountain in the gym when thirsty.

Are you training for the Olympics or something that you NEED to take stimulants to get through your INCREDIBLY GRUELING workout sessions?

• psuLemon
    Options
    I trained extremely hard for years and NEVER took any stimulants.

Are you training for the Olympics or something that you NEED to take stimulants to get through your INCREDIBLY GRUELING workout sessions?

There is no disadvantage to take a properly dosed preworkout. If it improves overall training quality and/or recovery, then its a mute point to compare what you have done. Its possible or conceivable that your gains could have been improved with good supplementation.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I trained extremely hard for years and NEVER took any stimulants, energy drinks or any of that.

Condescend much? Why do you care if someone else wants to spend their money on a PWO? Assuming they read the thread, they have the information on what is and isn't effective, so let them do what they want to do. There are lots of ways to be successful with all this, never mind how much of this conversation is about individual preference.
  • stanmann571
    edited March 2018
    Options

I'm over 40, I'll take any edge I can get that's not illegal or dangerous.
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2018
    Options

I'm over 40, I'll take any edge I can get that's not illegal or dangerous.

I feel you. I am struggling with gaining strength on my DL, so i am debating about adding creatine again to see if that helps. Although, a deficit is not helping the situation.
  • l4ur4j4d4
    l4ur4j4d4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use a pre workout called The Warrior LFT-SHT. I drink a lot of coffee and don’t really get a buzz from it, so I was recommended this and bloody hell... it really does work. It speeds up your heart rate so you are into fat burning mode quicker and longer and heats up your body so you sweat more and burn more calories. It really wakes me up before my morning workout, I only take half a scoop of I go later in the evenings though as I won’t be able to sleep otherwise
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    l4ur4j4d4 wrote: »
    I use a pre workout called The Warrior LFT-SHT. I drink a lot of coffee and don’t really get a buzz from it, so I was recommended this and bloody hell... it really does work. It speeds up your heart rate so you are into fat burning mode quicker and longer and heats up your body so you sweat more and burn more calories. It really wakes me up before my morning workout, I only take half a scoop of I go later in the evenings though as I won’t be able to sleep otherwise

What exactly is this fat burning mode you're referring to? Is the main ingredient in that stuff clenbuteral or something?..

The only time you are in a "fat burning" mode is if you're in a deficit or supplementing with a hormone altering drug. What is with this misconception about burning fat. Is it like cooking fat off of bacon? If so where does all of that liquefied fat now floating in your blood stream go aside from your heart and lungs.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't take pre-workouts. Just Amino energy :)
  • l4ur4j4d4
    l4ur4j4d4 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don’t know Jessef593, I’m not a pro. I’ve literally been going to the gym since January, I’m just saying what I’ve been told from some guy in the shop. All I know is if you want a buzz and wanna sweat like *kitten* then take this shite.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    l4ur4j4d4 wrote: »
    I don’t know Jessef593, I’m not a pro. I’ve literally been going to the gym since January, I’m just saying what I’ve been told from some guy in the shop. All I know is if you want a buzz and wanna sweat like *kitten* then take this shite.

The guy at the shop is selling you a line of bull along with your preworkout.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    vmlabute wrote: »
    I don't take pre-workouts. Just Amino energy :)

You'd be much better off with a solid pre workout. BCAAs are pretty worthless.