How much iron do you get a day?

Options
How much iron do y'all get daily? What are some food sources that have alot of iron? I don't eat fish and I've heard the supplements aren't that great. At the most I get about 40 out of 100 percent of my iron goal.

Replies

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Baby spinach, beans, quinoa, lentils
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you are going by MFP database entries, please keep in mind that many are user entered and incomplete. If you are concerned about your iron consumption, you should double check all the database entries you are using to the USDA published data or the nutrition label, and get blood work done to see if you are coming up short. And you shouldn't take an iron supplement unless you know you need to based on blood work results.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    If you are going by MFP database entries, please keep in mind that many are user entered and incomplete. If you are concerned about your iron consumption, you should double check all the database entries you are using to the USDA published data or the nutrition label, and get blood work done to see if you are coming up short. And you shouldn't take an iron supplement unless you know you need to based on blood work results.

This^

Many supplements contain large doses. Too much iron is not good, this is why multivitamins containing iron have a child proof cap.

That said, cold cereal often has a decent amount of iron. I sprinkle Grape Nuts on my Greek yogurt in the morning. Red meat contains a lot of iron.

https://www.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods#1
  • mistypenningtongoin
    mistypenningtongoin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cheerios
  • mssarah87
    mssarah87 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I had a bowl of cream of wheat today.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    If you are female and eating at any kind of deficit, it's almost impossible to get the recommended 18 mg of iron from diet alone. I am past menopause so my iron need is half that and I almost always can get it from food alone.