How to lose weight in a country where no one posts calories??

Options
I'm living in China and have gained a few pounds since I was last on MFP so I wanted to watch my calories again. But nobody here posts calorie info! Even chains like starbucks and mcdonald's (not that I eat there all the time) don't post calorie information in store or online and then there's so many little stalls and restaurants and street food that obviously don't have calorie information. And then at work we get served lunch and it's obviously very Chinese i.e. rice heavy and cooked in a tonne of oil. I'm really struggling - any advice?

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Where in China? I'm currently in Suzhou and I feel you! I have resorted to cooking from scratch because of the Chinese oil thing I can taste in all prepared food I buy here.
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Very near Suzhou actually! I'm in Zhangjiagang which is about an hour away from Suzhou. I try to cook from scratch too but I'm a terrible cook lol.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I'm living in China and have gained a few pounds since I was last on MFP so I wanted to watch my calories again. But nobody here posts calorie info! Even chains like starbucks and mcdonald's (not that I eat there all the time) don't post calorie information in store or online and then there's so many little stalls and restaurants and street food that obviously don't have calorie information. And then at work we get served lunch and it's obviously very Chinese i.e. rice heavy and cooked in a tonne of oil. I'm really struggling - any advice?

Doesn't China have Wal-Marts?

Do they not list the calorie info for the products sold there either?
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem when I travel, especially for eating out. I guesstimate using entries already in the data base and aim high. I'll also try to log ingredients separately. For instance, if I'm eating a stir fry dish, I input the vegetables and meat (again guessing high) and then also add tbs or two of oil.

As for buying packaged food, they will also often put labels on! Kcal is calories, and items are often listed by the 100 gram. If you're also interested in other macros, learn the symbols for them so you know what to look for.

It really isn't perfect by any stretch, but it does still at least give me accountability.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The old fashioned way: guestimating.
    There are infographics available that will show you what a serving should look like. Ie, chicken should be the size of your palm, veggies should be the size of your fist...the hard one is guessing at oils. If it doesn't seem greasy, I would guess a half tablespoon. Pretty greasy, I would guess two.

This is precisely why exchange diets and weight watchers points made sense when they first came out. It was burdensome to carry a calorie book around with you all the time.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Look into intuitive eating and a hunger scale. Basically rate your hunger from 1(starving) to 10(sickley full) . Eat when you are moderately hungry, and stop when you are moderately full.(between 4-6) It takes some practice but I have lost weight this way. It helps you to be mindful of over eating. Try to moderate your empty calories such as drinks as well.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The first time I counted calories in 1974, there were no calories on nutritional labels, menus, websites, or anywhere else. We had a generic list of foods, measured using cups and spoons, and we didn't know we were doing it "wrong". I still lost weight. We are spoiled today by comparison!
    Answer to your question : estimate the best you can.
  • dietcoke281
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes packaged food in supermarkets has kj measurements so I can convert, it's more of a problem when eating at work, in a communal setting, etc. If you've been to China you'll know this is pretty common :-) and it can be quite offensive to not eat a lot. Especially when you are the only foreigner at the table so everyone is watching what you're eating.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If your profile pics are current, you don't look like you need to lose any weight.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Hey just checked back - yes you are close by! We also have a chinese run caterer although most of the meals are ok - they load all the cooked stuff with oil :( I have reverted to salads and whatever meat I can pick from the rest of the meal - kind of works.
  • dietcoke281
    Options
    If your profile pics are current, you don't look like you need to lose any weight.

Thanks but they are from when I was last on MFP! Wish I looked like that now.
    Hey just checked back - yes you are close by! We also have a chinese run caterer although most of the meals are ok - they load all the cooked stuff with oil :( I have reverted to salads and whatever meat I can pick from the rest of the meal - kind of works.

Yeah I always think I'm being healthy picking veggies at lunch and then you get to the bottom of the bowl and it's swimming in oil - not good!
  • sxh529
    sxh529 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m a Taiwanese and I used to live in Shanghai for a year. I feel your frustration. My personal experience was to reduce half (50%) carbon hydrate food and to take more than usual (of you normally take) protein to keep my weight. Good thing in China is that the way of cooking is having lots of choice. You can find steam, stew more than stir fry and fried foods. Try to eat steam and stews food, this can help to reduce calories. In Chinese carterer, noodle soup is always the saviest options unless it’s spicy flavor. One year later, my weight didn’t go up but looked more fit. But you will need to get used to Chinese food first if you want to apply my way. Hopefully my experience helps.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Thanks but they are from when I was last on MFP! Wish I looked like that now.

Yeah I always think I'm being healthy picking veggies at lunch and then you get to the bottom of the bowl and it's swimming in oil - not good!

Have you looked into low carb eating? One nice thing about traditional Chinese cooking is that outside of gyoza, dishes are usually veg, protein or starch. If you can feel satisfied with veg and protein and leave the rice and dumplings out of it, you might be satiated on less calories than you were before. Well, the sweet sour fish would be off the menu, too, but it always took a lot of effort to get over it looking at me, anyway.
  • dietcoke281
    Options
    Your profile states 125lb and 5'10. That is a BMI of 17.9 - Is that where you are now or what you are aiming for? Either way that is underweight territory, so please be careful :heart:

I'm 5'10" but definitely not 125lbs any more. Although I did love being that weight, I thought I looked better. I'm actually not sure what I weigh - need to buy a scale for my apartment here.

Have you looked into low carb eating? One nice thing about traditional Chinese cooking is that outside of gyoza, dishes are usually veg, protein or starch. If you can feel satisfied with veg and protein and leave the rice and dumplings out of it, you might be satiated on less calories than you were before. Well, the sweet sour fish would be off the menu, too, but it always took a lot of effort to get over it looking at me, anyway.

I will look into that but I love me some dumplings haha. Thanks!