Cutting evening snacking habit

Options

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Or, you could just embrace your evening snacking. Make sure you otherwise hit your macros, then make sure you have plenty of calories saved up for the evening hours.

Me, I have had a thing for doritos and peanut butter cups of late.

This is what I do because I love my nighttime snacking and have no interest in fighting it. I eat lighter throughout the day (watching macros of course) and save the bulk of my calories for dinner and beyond.

• Hulbert0089
    Hulbert0089 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I keep telling myself no muchies after 7pm but I still find myself opening the Pantry and fridge about a half dozen times before bedtime. Been hitting some low cal snack size microwave popcorn lately.
  • mistypenningtongoin
    mistypenningtongoin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots or Dry Multi Grain Cheerios.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I had to embrace the late night snacks. Cutting them out was ruining my evenings! I buy little snack size bags of pirates booty for my kids lunches. One of those and a sugar free popsicle usually do the trick over the course of the evening. I always make sure to leave room for them in my calories for the day and usually just pre log them so I know where I am at. If I have more calories at the end of the day I definitely eat them in the evening. I love my snacks haha!
  • amberbarry1
    amberbarry1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i snack on sunflower seeds because it takes me 3 hours to eat ~110 cals.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Be aristocratic and dine at 8.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The food I usually choose are fiber one bars, an ounce of cheddar cheese, a couple of chocolate truffles if I have room for them, mini rice cakes in ranch or cheddar, a small bag of popcorn that i buy in single servings so I don't nibble on it all night. If it is cold I might have a cup of coffee instead with creamer or a glass of hot chocolate.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I can't manage having snacks. I always over indulge. If I stick with just meals, then I'm fine. So, I don't bother with them. However, my kids love to snack, but they fall victim to that high carb over indulgence trap too. So, my rule is that if they're hungry, they can have as many vegetables as they want. If they're *really* hungry, they'll eat veggies. Otherwise, I view it as "boredom," which (IMO) becomes more of a habit.
  • MarcA1218
    MarcA1218 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Any raw veggie and light dip/ popcorn/ sometimes peanut butter crackers. Lately I’ve been trying to cut out night time snacks.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I save 300-400 calories for a late evening snack. Trust me, I'm way happier like this. Usually it's a big bowl of popcorn and a cup of (carefully weighed out) m&ms. I have 4 kids, and 9 pm is the only calm quiet time I get to eat during my day so there's no way I'm giving that up. I lost 90 lbs doing this and have been maintaining since April.

This is me to a T. I save 300-400 calories for nighttime, usually about 9pm. My work computer shut down, every ones asleep. Me, tv a bowl of popcorn and usually a 100 calorie fudge pop. It’s my “leave me alone” time.LOL!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I have a huge problem with night time snacking myself and always turn to things that are obviously not good for me plus a soda. When I'm laying around watching TV, I get the temptation to EAT EAT EAT! I hate it!. My question here is, is when should I stop eating at night?

If you eat too late then it will impact sleep because your body will still be digesting whilst you're trying to sleep.

I go by the rule of not eating last 2 hours before bed, unless it's something very small

I have the opposite problem, my sleep is more impacted if I'm hungry. I HAVE to have a snack before bed or I will not fall asleep.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    I have a huge problem with night time snacking myself and always turn to things that are obviously not good for me plus a soda. When I'm laying around watching TV, I get the temptation to EAT EAT EAT! I hate it!. My question here is, is when should I stop eating at night?

If you eat too late then it will impact sleep because your body will still be digesting whilst you're trying to sleep.

I go by the rule of not eating last 2 hours before bed, unless it's something very small

I have the opposite problem, my sleep is more impacted if I'm hungry. I HAVE to have a snack before bed or I will not fall asleep.

This is me. My body will just wait patiently for more food and no sleep until it gets some! That said, I also plan for it. I pre-log my snack before I even have breakfast.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I just try to have a bunch of calories left over so that I can have late evening snacks. I also try to keep some reasonably low-cal stuff around, as well. For instance, at the moment I'm working on a stick of celery and a dollop of hummus.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I floss and brush my teeth right after dinner, around 6-7 pm, and consider the kitchen closed after that. Maybe once a month on a weekend night I'll go ahead and have a snack like string cheese or a cooked egg with salsa, if I actually feel hungry at 8 or 9 pm...but it's kind of rare.

For those who really enjoy late evening snacking and/or truly get hungry before bed, I love the idea of reserving calories to "use" then...that is what I'd do if I fell into those categories, too. That is why I usually have 700-800 calories alloted for dinner (from a 1400-1500 day), because I almost always like to tack some kind of dessert onto my meal (whether it's strawberries or a big piece of cake).
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    For a couple of weeks I was saving enough calories for 2 low fat multi-grain eggo waffles (140 calories), 1 tablespoon of real maple syrup (51 calories)and a tablespoon of buttery spread (60 calories). I felt like I was cheating but I wasn’t.
  • Flyingfingers51
    Flyingfingers51 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My standard snack rotation is fresh fruit, sugar free jello or sugar free pudding with some sugar free cool whip; 100 calorie pop corn, veggies and humus, or caramel flavored rice cakes, and occasionally, some dark chocolate with a glass of red wine. If I have the calories left at the end of the day, then I get a treat. If not, then I drink water or tea. If evening snacking means a lot to you, plan for it. You'll stick to your game plan if you don't feel deprived all the time.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I have a packet of 'fun size' sweets that I have as a late night snack pretty much every night. It's a way to treat myself for being 'good' all day long. Little mini snickers bar (88 calories) or little mini twix (76 calories), hell, if I've got plenty of calories left for the day I might even go wild and have one of each!

This has the double effect of satisfies both my late night snacking and my sweet tooth without blowing out my calories.
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Late night snacking literally makes calorie deficits bearable for me. I fit it in .
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm a late night snacker, I love it. I'm not a breakfast person so that helps. Whatever calories I would have eaten for breakfast I eat at night :smile:

Currently snacking on a big bowl of popcorn topped with hot sauce instead of butter. My new favourite night time snack :smiley:
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    whosshe wrote: »
    I'm a late night snacker, I love it. I'm not a breakfast person so that helps. Whatever calories I would have eaten for breakfast I eat at night :smile:

Currently snacking on a big bowl of popcorn topped with hot sauce instead of butter. My new favourite night time snack :smiley:

I use spray on oil with Tajin. So yummy!