350+ pounds Support for Men & Women

Replies

• giigiiboo
    giigiiboo Posts: 2 Member
    Oh okay sorry figuring this community thing out. Hi I’m Gladys, I just turned 30 and I feel like I need to finally work on my best self and stick to it. I am currently 344, but I’ve seen my weight go from 218 to 332 to 234 to 353. I just need to lose the weight and maintain it but my hardest struggle is FOOD itself I LOVE food!!! I don’t want to be the queen of fad diets and on a constant roller coaster anymore. Don’t get me wrong I’m a bomb chick but it’s hard! I am a single mom of 4 who just recently had twins. So life has been a whirlwind so I guess no better time than now right
  • MzCara148
    MzCara148 Posts: 205 Member
    @giigiiboo What a coincidence, I was just about to answer your question on how to join when you were posting. To find our group, click on the Community tab from the menu at the top of the screen (how you found this thread). Right under that menu bar will be another menu bar and one of the options is Groups. On the right side of the screen you will see an Group Options and a box with the default text of "Search Groups". Put "350" in that search box and we come up first.

Once you join you can just click on Community and if you page down at the bottom of the page there is a section for "My Groups".

Welcome!
  • TishMarie86
    TishMarie86 Posts: 6 Member
    Wow I didn’t realize so many amazing people were on the same journey. I’m still so uncomfortable putting my numbers out there for the world to see but I can say I’ve got a long road ahead. I need lots of motivation so feel free to add me and I’ll give motivation too! I’m following keto because that’s the only way I seem to be successful with PCOS and hypothyroidism. I’m currently down about 35lbs. I love the positivity in this group!
  • CassieBinTC
    CassieBinTC Posts: 59 Member
    @Jobar001 What an amazing job you have done so far. Keep it up. We are all here for you.
  • Mellykay88
    Mellykay88 Posts: 306 Member
    Bump!
  • LoobyJLou
    LoobyJLou Posts: 36 Member
    Reading all of your posts has made me feel so inspired ! I have 150 lb to lose and there are days that I wake up and think it’s too much to handle . I read posts from others who are moaning about losing 10 lb !!! Oh how I wish I only had that to lose !
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Reading all of your posts has made me feel so inspired ! I have 150 lb to lose and there are days that I wake up and think it’s too much to handle . I read posts from others who are moaning about losing 10 lb !!! Oh how I wish I only had that to lose !

I think that the amount of weight to lose makes little difference to to each individual, as its probably just as daunting to all of us, (but i know what you mean ;) )..... you just need to get your mind around the fact that it will take months or years to lose 150lbs, i have currently lost 182lbs with another 80lb to go, so far its taken about 26months, averaging about 1.7lbs a week, but you will plateau, and lose focus along the way, but its got to be a long term project and life change.
    Don't beat yourself up on the bad days, and as i have put in a previous post i suggest only weighing once a month, so you will only disapoint yourself 12 x a year.!!
    Joining MFP is a great start to your journey.... good luck with the rest of it.. believe in your ability to succeed and you will !!
  • Silhouette_man
    Silhouette_man Posts: 104 Member
    Hi Everyone

I'm new to MFP. I started at 331 a few weeks ago. I would like to get back to 200 by next year. If anyone wants to get some motivation and little pushes when they slip, feel free to add me to your list.

Gabe
  • Silhouette_man
    Silhouette_man Posts: 104 Member
    @Jobar001. That's fantastic Jo.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    I love hearing all your stories on here :) Its wonderful to be with other folks who "get it". The world is so different for those of us who are starting at such high weights, and it gets really daunting, I think, when you see the regular forums and folks claiming to be "a large person at 170 lbs". I'd almost kill to be 170 lbs! lol

It makes it harder to celebrate my successes, too - for instance, I'm finally into size 22W pants, and actually into some 20Ws depending on how they are made, and into a 3x top. For me, its almost impossible to really grasp the reality of that because I was in 28Ws for a good 10 years, and had been in 26W's since high school, and 5X tops. So for me, a 22W is a dream come true! but then I see that many people posting on MFP are lamenting how fat they are that they have to wear a size 14, or I see this other poster who claims that its completely unhealthy and rediculous for the average size to be a 16W in the US and that if your waist is over 35 inches, you cannot call yourself healthy at all. and I'm thinking "I started out with a 55" waist with a 60" muffin top above that; I'm down to a 45" waist and a 49 1/2" muffin top (hey, I'm very proud of that 1/2" lol) - I'd be beyond thrilled to get to a 35" waist!

Its so easy to get lost in guilt and lose sight of where I've come when I start comparing myself to folks like that; so I really appreciate meeting others who understand my starting point and why my milestones like a 45" waist or a size 22W are so meaningful to me! :smiley:
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member

I think that the amount of weight to lose makes little difference to to each individual, as its probably just as daunting to all of us, (but i know what you mean ;) )..... you just need to get your mind around the fact that it will take months or years to lose 150lbs, i have currently lost 182lbs with another 80lb to go, so far its taken about 26months, averaging about 1.7lbs a week, but you will plateau, and lose focus along the way, but its got to be a long term project and life change.
    Don't beat yourself up on the bad days, and as i have put in a previous post i suggest only weighing once a month, so you will only disapoint yourself 12 x a year.!!
    Joining MFP is a great start to your journey.... good luck with the rest of it.. believe in your ability to succeed and you will !!

I'm finding that to be so true! I've heard that it only takes 28 days to establish a new habit; I seriously question that because I've been at the calorie counting thing for over a year, and I find it is still so very easy to slip into old habits, such as "I'll just get that tea half cut instead of completely unsweet - half cut is better than full sweet!" which it is, but its not counting that 100 calories that's in the half cut version that gets me into trouble!

I'm fighting a plateau right now, and its so easy for me to slip into guilt over it. I've lost before and regained, and that's my biggest fear at this point!
  • CassieBinTC
    CassieBinTC Posts: 59 Member
    Good morning everyone. How was your weekends?

I am feeling pretty good. Still having side effects from my accident that was 2 months ago today. I am tried to keep my motivation and keep going but with the pain in my shoulders and knee it is tough. I have been trying to walk more as the gym is not such an option still. I am still at 300 pounds and I just want so badly to be at 299 but TOM hit and pushed all that back. Friday was supposed to be my pre-op for surgery and this coming Friday would have been my surgery. I know it is still there if need be but I prefer to do it on my own.
  • NightOwl7777
    NightOwl7777 Posts: 26 Member
    I love hearing all your stories on here :) Its wonderful to be with other folks who "get it". The world is so different for those of us who are starting at such high weights, and it gets really daunting, I think, when you see the regular forums and folks claiming to be "a large person at 170 lbs". I'd almost kill to be 170 lbs! lol

It makes it harder to celebrate my successes, too - for instance, I'm finally into size 22W pants, and actually into some 20Ws depending on how they are made, and into a 3x top. For me, its almost impossible to really grasp the reality of that because I was in 28Ws for a good 10 years, and had been in 26W's since high school, and 5X tops. So for me, a 22W is a dream come true! but then I see that many people posting on MFP are lamenting how fat they are that they have to wear a size 14, or I see this other poster who claims that its completely unhealthy and rediculous for the average size to be a 16W in the US and that if your waist is over 35 inches, you cannot call yourself healthy at all. and I'm thinking "I started out with a 55" waist with a 60" muffin top above that; I'm down to a 45" waist and a 49 1/2" muffin top (hey, I'm very proud of that 1/2" lol) - I'd be beyond thrilled to get to a 35" waist!

Its so easy to get lost in guilt and lose sight of where I've come when I start comparing myself to folks like that; so I really appreciate meeting others who understand my starting point and why my milestones like a 45" waist or a size 22W are so meaningful to me! :smiley:

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve struggled with my weight most of my life. Back in my teens and 20s having a terrible case of self loathing, if I could go back and talk to that old me I would tell her she is beautiful and those few pounds are really not worth all the stress. My late 20s and 30s have been possibly the most dramatic in terms of body change. This vessel carried three big babies but sadly pregnancy did not like me at all. I was very ill and immobile and gained a lot of weight. My health has since been very bad. Leaving me bedbound the last two years. I have around 7stone to shed. What I really have little patience for if I’m honest is when a slim person, (my perception I know) wants to tell me how fat they are and how disgusting their body is! I think, wow what the heck do you think of me then?! I know rationally that weight and body image is relative to the individual, but it still hurts the vulnerable me who is mortified by the size I am. I don’t have any friends that are very over weight. Like me I mean. It’s a lonely place. So finding people to talk to who really get it is so uplifting. It’s like the invisible illnesses I have, unless you have actually walked in my shoes (extra wide fit!!!) then I struggle to relate to people claiming to understand. That’s really unfair I know, as most people are good and kind and want to help and support. But basically it’s really nice to speak to people on the same path with the same mountain to climb. (Sorry for waffling On!)
  • sevenlabors
    sevenlabors Posts: 6 Member
    Hey all, token member of the 400+ pound club clocking in to put in some work. Getting real sick and tired of (and numb to) my own *kitten*, and it's really viscerally hitting me lately.

I'm around 430lbs right now and have an immediate goal of hitting that 399 mark, but would ultimately like to get to 250.

I turn 35 this weekend.

Long road ahead of me, and I've wasted a lot of time.

Feel free to send over a friend request.
  • Hi my name is Dawn my current weight is 375. I'm 34 yes old. In the past ive lost alot of weight but things happened gained it back plus more. So I'm starting my new journey to losing weight until I reach my goal of at least 130 or less. I know it's going to take along time but it's worth it to get healthy.
  • bigghunny
    bigghunny Posts: 549 Member
    Welcome Dawn you found a good place for support. Look forward to following your journey. Feel free to add me :)
  • SmeagolsBane
    SmeagolsBane Posts: 16 Member
    Hi everyone! My name is Steve. I started my journey before using my fitness pal at a little over 370. I felt my life was going nowhere and had so much difficulty doing just the most basic tasks. Some days I would plan my day so I could stay on just one floor instead of going up and down the stairs at my home. my body ached, I had difficulty staying awake and felt like an addict. I would easily drink a 2 litter bottle of soda every day.

I started slow by making simple one month goals: month 1-no soda, month 2-no fast food, month 3-walk for 10 minutes, etc... I eventually was recommended the my fitness pal app on my phone and started tracking my calories. I noticed I had a binge pattern of eating well for several days and then eating something very high in calories one day, just to reset all of my progress. As I've been tracking I can now see these big trip ups.
    I started my fitness pal weighing 352 lbs in December, 2017; I now weight 313 lbs 3/27/18.

What I've learned is that it's all about consistency-probably years of it. The nice thing about being big though is that you don't have to make a big change right away; we've got more calories to disperse than anyone. I still try toe eat 500-1000 under my caloric intake and that's usually about families normal so I don't feel like I'm really giving up that much so far.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Hi all I am coming up on my 10th anniversary this May. I started at 367 with out of control BP and heart rate and slowly I started to cut out different foods and drink starting with alcohol I haven't had a hard drink since 2008 when I started and wine only 3 times in the last 10 years. At one time I couldn't imagine a day without drinking much less a life but that's what I am doing. I settled at about 200 pounds and kept increasing my exercise levels and now after a long plateau I have started losing again to reach my final goal of 167 or 200 pounds lost total. I feel everyone can do this if I could by making changes and sticking to it.
    There are no magic bullets or special secrets just make small changes in your life and stick to it.
    I am a 70year old who is swimming running 5K and 10ks and training to run a half marathon this year and enjoying my life a lot more than I was 10 years ago,
    So everyone Good Health and Good Losing
    Ken