Will a 1200 calorie diet initially do any damage?

Options
I’m following a Rosemary Conley diet plan which features a 1200 ‘jump start’ to the plan and then 1500 cals. MFP actually says for me to eat 1200 cals per day but I have around 60lbs to lose and this seems too low. If I start on 1200 and then increase to 1500 will my metabolism slow? X

Replies

• PoppyFlower1
    PoppyFlower1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    No, but your body doesn't need a "jump start" either. I'm guessing if MFP is giving you 1200 your deficit might be too aggressive. Are you at 2lbs/week? You may want to drop it to 1lb/week.

Yeah it is 1200 cals for a -2lb a week loss. It does seem too low though. I’m 5ft 7, 232lbs, and an RN so lightly active on some days but mostly sedentary.

What is the definition of lightly active? On work days I do 10,000 steps but I also do a lot of activity that isn’t steps. For example, washing patients, moving patients up and around the bed, transferring patients, cleaning bedspaces, moving equipment or pushing beds, and standing for procedures like putting in an NG or catheter. These are all activity based stuff but might not show up on my step count. I work 3 13 hour shifts per week. What would my activity level be?
  • PoppyFlower1
    Options
    No, but your body doesn't need a "jump start" either. I'm guessing if MFP is giving you 1200 your deficit might be too aggressive. Are you at 2lbs/week? You may want to drop it to 1lb/week.

Yeah it is 1200 cals for a -2lb a week loss. It does seem too low though. I’m 5ft 7, 232lbs, and an RN so lightly active on some days but mostly sedentary.

What is the definition of lightly active? On work days I do 10,000 steps but I also do a lot of activity that isn’t steps. For example, washing patients, moving patients up and around the bed, transferring patients, cleaning bedspaces, moving equipment or pushing beds, and standing for procedures like putting in an NG or catheter. These are all activity based stuff but might not show up on my step count. I work 3 13 hour shifts per week. What would my activity level be?

I'm an RN as well, work days are definitely active not lightly active.

Thanks I work on a well staffed unit though so it’s really variable for me. One day for example a patient arrested so I was literally running to get equipment running around and then went with the patient and team to theatres, holding heavy equipment and then running back and catching up with my regular work.....I will have burned calories that day. But then the next day everyone might be stable and it’s not that demanding. I always never know what to class it as. Or is it better to not count the activity at all? X
  • TynaBaby17
    TynaBaby17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you set your goal to loose 2 pounds a week then 1200 calories is about right. It does this becasue you need to have a calorie deficit of 7000 at the end of every week in order to loose 2 pounds every week.

2 pounds a week is pretty aggressive for starting out, I would change your goal to 1.5 pounds a week or even just 1 pound a week. This will increase your amount of calories per day and make it more likely for you to reach your goal.

You can also exercise to allow for more calories a day. So if you burn 300 calories a day from exercise you would be able to eat 1500 instead of 1200.

• markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    slowly losing is best for most people, unless of course there are serious health reasons. It's also more sustainable as a lot of people start the hit plateaus earlier or have blips or start researching cheat days

no jump start required, log and weigh your food when you start , exercise if you like, lift if you like

food is fuel, you need a certain amount to survive but everybody needs a different amount. What you require to lose weight will be determined by good logging and being patient

good luck
  • PoppyFlower1
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

My understanding is that 10,000 steps is the threshold for "active". 1200 calories is a terrible idea for someone as active as you. You may feel perfectly fine- until you don't- and you will burn a lot of lean muscle mass :(

Thankyou, I didn’t realise the threshold for active was so low so if I’m classed as active that makes a big difference to my calorie allowance. I thought active would be someone that runs a few miles a day etc.

Sorry if I haven’t replied to all messages I’m on my phone and reading while shopping otherwise would have thanked everyone xx