Hello!

Options
Hi, I am new to MyFittnessPal and I can't wait to get started. I have about 150 pounds to lose, and I have been trying to lose it since I was 14 (I am now 21). I hope I can find support here!

Replies

• its_allie_g
    its_allie_g Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey Summer! I am new at this too, I have been on my "journey", I prefer that to the word "diet", and have just over 3 stone to shift. I am getting married next May, and want to feel more like "me" again, so that is my motivation!

How are you doing? :-) keep smiling, and have a marvellous Monday! xx
  • SummerWindstrom
    SummerWindstrom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey Summer! I am new at this too, I have been on my "journey", I prefer that to the word "diet", and have just over 3 stone to shift. I am getting married next May, and want to feel more like "me" again, so that is my motivation!

How are you doing? :-) keep smiling, and have a marvellous Monday! xx

Feeling a bit overwhelmed. I finally hit a point where my size scares me. I see shows like 'my 600 pound life' and I look at myself and think "if I don't change, that will be me...."
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    welcome!! if you have any questions or just someone to talk to, I'm here for you!
  • Deisler26
    Deisler26 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. You'll find all the support you need here. Interact, add people... your journey doesn't have to be alone.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision to become a healthier you!
    I started my own health journey last year, January 15th and have lost 80 lbs in the last 14 months. Let me tell you straight away that this journey requires CONSISTENCY. Every day, every minute, you just keep being consistent toward your better health.
    Go through your kitchen NOW. Completely eliminate processed foods, and "white" carbs (white bread, rice, etc). Your meals (content of your plate) should always be 1/2 veg, 1/4 complex carb, 1/4 protein. Think of your plate like a clock and fill it accordingly.
    I weigh myself once per week on Wed morning first thing after the washroom. I was very dedicated to my food plan and have been really consistent and some weeks didn't lose anything, and some gained a little. By being consistent and NEVER overdoing my food (so being completely dedicated to weighing and measuring every morsel and logging it FIRST on MFP) I did manage to lose an average of 2 lbs per week over the first 12 weeks. But again, the weight loss wasn't consistent week to week, just overall when I added up my total loss over a period of time. This is what discourages most people. They want consistent results but our bodies just don't work like that.
    This is where the emotional responses come in and where most will quit or binge. Keep the emotions in check and just keep being CONSISTENT with your calorie intake. It works over the long run but you MUST be diligent and just keep up weighing and measuring EVERY MORSEL and log it BEFORE you eat it. I can't count the times I have altered my plate because I didn't want to eat that many calories, take off a condiment, make a portion smaller, etc.
    I blew out my knee badly so didn't add in exercise for months and still lost weight. In fact, exercise will make you hungrier so it is actually a good thing I got my calorie intake in check BEFORE I added in activity.
    I now work out quite a bit but with a much smaller size it is easier to accomplish.

If I could quit drinking completely and lose 80 lbs at almost 50 years old I truly believe that anyone can do it with the same determination and dedication.

Believe in yourself and take one day at a time (I had to do this myself). I couldn't think about the big picture, it was just to overwhelming, I just promised myself each morning that I would maintain my dedication toward my health. One day at a time . . . and here I am now 14 months later and in a "normal" BMI for the first time in over 20 years!

You CAN do it!!!
  • SummerWindstrom
    SummerWindstrom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lutzsher wrote: »
    Congratulations on your decision to become a healthier you!
    I started my own health journey last year, January 15th and have lost 80 lbs in the last 14 months. Let me tell you straight away that this journey requires CONSISTENCY. Every day, every minute, you just keep being consistent toward your better health.
    Go through your kitchen NOW. Completely eliminate processed foods, and "white" carbs (white bread, rice, etc). Your meals (content of your plate) should always be 1/2 veg, 1/4 complex carb, 1/4 protein. Think of your plate like a clock and fill it accordingly.
    I weigh myself once per week on Wed morning first thing after the washroom. I was very dedicated to my food plan and have been really consistent and some weeks didn't lose anything, and some gained a little. By being consistent and NEVER overdoing my food (so being completely dedicated to weighing and measuring every morsel and logging it FIRST on MFP) I did manage to lose an average of 2 lbs per week over the first 12 weeks. But again, the weight loss wasn't consistent week to week, just overall when I added up my total loss over a period of time. This is what discourages most people. They want consistent results but our bodies just don't work like that.
    This is where the emotional responses come in and where most will quit or binge. Keep the emotions in check and just keep being CONSISTENT with your calorie intake. It works over the long run but you MUST be diligent and just keep up weighing and measuring EVERY MORSEL and log it BEFORE you eat it. I can't count the times I have altered my plate because I didn't want to eat that many calories, take off a condiment, make a portion smaller, etc.
    I blew out my knee badly so didn't add in exercise for months and still lost weight. In fact, exercise will make you hungrier so it is actually a good thing I got my calorie intake in check BEFORE I added in activity.
    I now work out quite a bit but with a much smaller size it is easier to accomplish.

If I could quit drinking completely and lose 80 lbs at almost 50 years old I truly believe that anyone can do it with the same determination and dedication.

Believe in yourself and take one day at a time (I had to do this myself). I couldn't think about the big picture, it was just to overwhelming, I just promised myself each morning that I would maintain my dedication toward my health. One day at a time . . . and here I am now 14 months later and in a "normal" BMI for the first time in over 20 years!

You CAN do it!!!
    @lutzsher I would love to get rid of all my processed foods, however I have a wife who is 100 lbs soaking wet and shes a trucker. She would kill me if I got rid of processed food, her white bread etc. I have tried that before and I just got told to go pick up more... heh heh. Shes an irish, meat and potatoes kind of girl. I try to keep them out of my diet, but keeping them out of the house is a no go.