Getting ripped without a gym membership

Options
Hello forum. I notice many people on here think it's impossible to get into good shape without going to the gym and lifting multiple times a week. I plan to gain about 25 pounds over the next year and a half without going to the gym once.
I have a pullups bar, I will be doing a lot of modified body weight exercise. I'm at 145 pounds right now and 5'10. My body fat stays around the single digits naturally so this may be easier for someone like me compared to others. If you want to see my progress in the future feel free to contact me.
Has anybody had any success doing what I'm doing or similar?

Replies

• dart_si
    dart_si Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I can just put in a backpack while doing pull ups or any body weight exercise. Single leg squats are also an effective way to build the legs. There's more than one path to get a nice body.
  • dart_si
    dart_si Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm going to alternate between 3 and 4 days a week. The workouts will vary, but they will target the same groups routinely. I do have some dumbbells at home, so I'm able to do more than someone with nothing can. I'm only trying to put on 20 pounds of mass so it shouldn't be difficult, especially since I've done it before already.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    dart_si wrote: »
    Hello forum. I notice many people on here think it's impossible to get into good shape without going to the gym and lifting multiple times a week. I plan to gain about 25 pounds over the next year and a half without going to the gym once.
    I have a pullups bar, I will be doing a lot of modified body weight exercise. I'm at 145 pounds right now and 5'10. My body fat stays around the single digits naturally so this may be easier for someone like me compared to others. If you want to see my progress in the future feel free to contact me.
    Has anybody had any success doing what I'm doing or similar?

I certainly think it's possible to get in extremely good shape without going to a gym.

But I don't think you could gain 25 lbs. in a year and be ripped. You could be in great shape though.

"Ripped" means extremely low bodyfat levels attained by reducing calorie levels over an extended time period.

If you plan to gain 25 lbs. over the next year I don't think you can get ripped. You'd be bulking up.

You are very low in bodyweight presently at 5'10" and 145 so there is a lot of room to add bodyweight. Adding 25 lbs. and you'd be 170 which is still fairly light.

Gaining 25 lbs. in a year is certainly do-able but only with increasing your bodyfat along with it. A good % of the 25 lbs. would be fat. You wouldn't be ripped anymore.

25 lbs. of only muscle is impossible without drugs. Even impossible with drugs.

• Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Where did he say he was 125 lbs. in the Army?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm not anti gym. I just don't need it. I didn't use a gym in the army when I bulked up quite a bit, and I can do it again. I've just been lazy lately. Everyone has a different body type. I've always been extremely lean and able to build muscle easy as long as I'm eating enough. There's tons of ways to work out without having to go visit a gym all the time.
    I'm going to alternate between 3 and 4 days a week. The workouts will vary, but they will target the same groups routinely. I do have some dumbbells at home, so I'm able to do more than someone with nothing can. I'm only trying to put on 20 pounds of mass so it shouldn't be difficult, especially since I've done it before already.
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Where did he say he was 125 lbs. in the Army?

The minimum weight for entry into the Army for his height is 132. You won't make it past MEPs if you are under and will be put on extra rations and medical supervision if you go under after you are in (I know, as I did this once while enlisted). His current weight is 145 - that means, if he was the bare minimum when he entered he only gained 13 pounds during his enlistment. Typically, for a technical field that is at least 4 years of active duty. Some of the combat arms MOS's can be 2 years active but they are the exception. I doubt he was a mortar butt-plate carrier or an infantryman considering his physical stature... but that is just a guess. He says he's done it "before already" when he refers to gaining 20 pounds. He also said he bulked up quite a bit - which I assume means more than 13 pounds in 4 years, or even 2...
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Buy a good barbell, rack, and bench and I think you could strength train perfectly well at home. I like squats and deadlifts too much to drop them. Although, I do hope to drop my gym membership someday.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Good luck, hope it works for you again! I personally couldn’t get much stronger without progressive overloading. I am close to 2x body weight squats and 2.5x on deadlifts. I don’t believe that body weight exercises would help me much.

Now body weight exercises and small overload from weighted backpack along with a spot in diet could get you ripped. I am just not sure if it’s super efficient. Still I wish you the best.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'm not anti gym. I just don't need it. I didn't use a gym in the army when I bulked up quite a bit, and I can do it again. I've just been lazy lately. Everyone has a different body type. I've always been extremely lean and able to build muscle easy as long as I'm eating enough. There's tons of ways to work out without having to go visit a gym all the time.

Yeah well that's generally how it works.

Okay so what about quad, glute, hamstring, and spinal erectors development? What are your plans for them?

You are completely entitled to your preferred exercise. I just know I would never have reached this level or look the way I do without lifting hundreds of pounds over several years.

Besides work pays for my gym so I can't see a reason not to train. Also my sport requires weights..sooooo