Earthquake!

Options
There was an earthquake in South Dakota yesterday!!! Kinda crazy!!!

Replies

• voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The largest boom boom fault is like 200 or so miles from when I live. I hear when it goes... it's going to take Missouri. I'm attempting not to cheer.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Wait...people live in South Dakota??
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    We had an earthquake in Minnesota this year too a couple months ago! Crazy weather this summer!
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I'm sure she's the only one;)
  • jennyj09
    jennyj09 Posts: 80
    Options

Yup.....
    REALLY......
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    Maybe it's just cause I've lived in California my whole life I think it's hilarious when other people experience an earthquake for the first time.

When I moved back east next year and experience one of the Thunder and Lighting storms or Hurricanes I'm sure I'll be the same way the first time.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Just hang on to your boot-straps the ride is going to get crazier... :happy:
  • jennyj09
    Options
    I'm a couple of hours away from where it happened.
    I'm used to Tornados, Blizzards and -50 below temps....

Guess you could say we are pretty "sheltered" living in good ol' South Dakota!

HAHA
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just cause I've lived in California my whole life I think it's hilarious when other people experience an earthquake for the first time.

When I moved back east next year and experience one of the Thunder and Lighting storms or Hurricanes I'm sure I'll be the same way the first time.

lol I grew up in New York my entire life, so blizzards and hurricanes were nothing.

Then I moved to California and on my first day experienced my first earthquake. Suffice it to say I did not handle it calm and collectively. I'm pretty sure one of the things I nervously kept shouting and repeating was, "WHY IS THE GROUND MOVING? WHY IS IT MOVING?!"
  • jennyj09
    Options
    I bet I'd be yelling the same thing...
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    The first earthquake I ever experienced was the 2001 quake in Washington State. I was at work and the building started shaking and someone yelled it was an earthquake and told us to get under out desks. When we finally went outside I expected there to be huge cracks in the ground like you see in the movies. :laugh: I'm originallly from the midwest (born and raised in Missouri) and I was ready to go back that very day. My supervisor told me I couldn't because I was what kept her sane. :laugh: During the quake she kept asking me if I was okay and I kept telling her yes. I'd rather deal with the tornadoes any day, at least you have some warning that weather conditions are right for a tornado and you can take shelter. There was not warning at all for the earthquake. :noway:
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I remember having an earthquake when I was a kid living in northwest Minnesota. It wasn't a big deal, just knocked a few pictures off of the wall. I think that was the biggest one in MN history.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Funny I'd rather take an earthquake over tornadoes, hurricanes, or blizzards. When I moved from CA to VA, I experienced having to get up at 5:00am to shovel off the driveway so my wife could leave by 6:00am. Glad I'm back in CA.
    Also tornadoes and hurricanes are annual, which means you have to prep for them EVERY YEAR. Eh, I'd rather not have to worry about something like that. The codes for buildings in CA are strict so unless the magnitude of an earthquake is in the 7's or above, the little jolts we get now and then just wake us up.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    Funny I'd rather take an earthquake over tornadoes, hurricanes, or blizzards. When I moved from CA to VA, I experienced having to get up at 5:00am to shovel off the driveway so my wife could leave by 6:00am. Glad I'm back in CA.
    Also tornadoes and hurricanes are annual, which means you have to prep for them EVERY YEAR. Eh, I'd rather not have to worry about something like that. The codes for buildings in CA are strict so unless the magnitude of an earthquake is in the 7's or above, the little jolts we get now and then just wake us up.

Last year we had 169 inches of snow, one storm had 38" in one storm and I had to clear a path for the wife to get out, then another to get myself out in the morning. Luckily, here in MN we generally keep snowblowers around to make it easier. We get snow as early as mid September and it gets cold enough hear to pound nails with a banana.

Last year we also had 113 tornadoes and hail up to 4 inches in size.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options

Last year we had 169 inches of snow, one storm had 38" in one storm and I had to clear a path for the wife to get out, then another to get myself out in the morning. Luckily, here in MN we generally keep snowblowers around to make it easier. We get snow as early as mid September and it gets cold enough hear to pound nails with a banana.

So deal with that yearly or deal with a "shaker" occasionally................................hmmmm, yeah I like my drink shaken..........not frozen.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    The largest boom boom fault is like 200 or so miles from when I live. I hear when it goes... it's going to take Missouri. I'm attempting not to cheer.

Hey... I'm originally from Missouri. :smokin:
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    <--- This Geologist here is so hoping to experience an earthquake.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options

I think you're making Niner's case for him. I'll stay in California. We have several earthquakes every day, but most of them are too small to feel.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    This is hilarious to me. I live in San Francisco and we are all so unimpressed with anything that doesn't cause massive property damage. :yawn: And here in the same state, up in Tahoe - only 2 hours away, an average storm will dump 3 feet in a day and it's common to have 15' on the shoulder of the highway - and it's not on flat land.

What does scare me are tornadoes. Holy crap - I got stuck in Oklahoma once for 2 days because of tornadoes and that was the only phenomenon to really give me pause.
  • liftingbro
    Options

I think you're making Niner's case for him. I'll stay in California. We have several earthquakes every day, but most of them are too small to feel.

I wasn't trying to make any case, just point out that the weather he saw in VA wasn't that bad.

You have to be a hearty soul to live up hear in the Frozen North. There's a reason why a lot of older retired people go to Arizona or Florida for the winters or leave the state all together when they get old.