Ganglion cyst

Options
Appeared last night after heavy leg session. On inside my wrist. Never had one B4 and have self diagnosis until I see Dr on Monday but it looks exactly like pics I saw. It's small but so are my wrists and it's ugly :( Anyone ever have this B4? Do they go away? Is it from lifting?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    My dear old nan had them. She swore blind the doctor told her to cover it with a small towel and repeatedly hit it with an 8oz hammer.

And that's what she did every evening until it went.
  • bensmom555
    bensmom555 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My husband had one on the back of his wrist years and years ago and asked the doctor what to do. Doc said look away, then hit it with a big medical book and it was gone! Don't know if that would happen these days!
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    My dear old nan had them. She swore blind the doctor told her to cover it with a small towel and repeatedly hit it with an 8oz hammer.

And that's what she did every evening until it went.

Oh boy! Lol I can't wait to hear what my Dr has to say.
  • flowerhorsey
    Options
    bensmom555 wrote: »
    My husband had one on the back of his wrist years and years ago and asked the doctor what to do. Doc said look away, then hit it with a big medical book and it was gone! Don't know if that would happen these days!

We'll see! Lol
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

That's about what Doc did to my daughter. But he told me she might continue to have them, and for me to never do that. Always bring her in, because he wanted to be sure there was nothing in it before he did it. She's never had another one.
  • raishiwi
    raishiwi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I got an injury in december. I ended up getting a cortisone injection and about 2-3 weeks later i was good to go again!
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The issue with them popping is that there is a good possibility they will come back. I have one on the back of my wrist that will get big, pop, and be back within a few months. I will need surgery if I want mine to be gone permanently.
  • flowerhorsey
    Options
    I'm not going to try to pop or hit mine without Dr looking at it first. So weird that it just appeared out of the blue.. No warning.. No nothing.. Just there suddenly
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The old-fashioned remedy was to hit a ganglion with the family bible.
    Maybe the modern version would be to hit it with your laptop? :smiley:

(No don't try this!!)

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I had them repeatedly as a child and teen. The doctor said they weren't harmful. A whack with Webster's dictionary was the home remedy. :)
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I had one on the back of my wrist 7 years ago. Initially my doctor told me it was small enough that it wasn't an issue -- most people live with them and they're harmless. But mine kept getting bigger as the months went on and got to the point that I couldn't hold onto anything for more than a few seconds before my hand would just drop things. My ganglion got so big it literally had its own shadow and was visible in pictures.

Everyone I'd known who'd had ganglions aspirated had to go back multiple times because it would keep coming back. I opted for surgery because there is only about a 5% chance that it would come back. It's been 7 years and all I've had since is the faint scar -- the ganglion hasn't come back.

If it's small enough and not causing other issues, doctors will probably tell you to live with it -- but if it gets bigger and more troublesome, that is more likely when they will consider it a medical necessity to act on it.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    SoozeE512 wrote: »
    I had one on the back of my wrist 7 years ago. Initially my doctor told me it was small enough that it wasn't an issue -- most people live with them and they're harmless. But mine kept getting bigger as the months went on and got to the point that I couldn't hold onto anything for more than a few seconds before my hand would just drop things. My ganglion got so big it literally had its own shadow and was visible in pictures.

Everyone I'd known who'd had ganglions aspirated had to go back multiple times because it would keep coming back. I opted for surgery because there is only about a 5% chance that it would come back. It's been 7 years and all I've had since is the faint scar -- the ganglion hasn't come back.

If it's small enough and not causing other issues, doctors will probably tell you to live with it -- but if it gets bigger and more troublesome, that is more likely when they will consider it a medical necessity to act on it.

If you don't mind me asking, how was recovery? I'm almost to the point of asking for surgery. It ends up popping on it's own, but comes back and gets big and painful before it pops.
  • patriciawatson10888
    Options
    I had one on each wrist many years ago. I was initially told to hit it with a heavy bible! It didn't work. A couple of years later they became very painful so I had them surgically removed.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    DD has hers removed then when it came back, she was mri'd and saw that she needed something sewn up under the muscle. long story short, it could mean something, it's not just an ugly thing. it could be protecting tendons etc.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    I had one surgically removed when I was 7 on the inside of my wrist. It has never returned. I do have one that comes and goes on the back of my hand though. It doesn't hurt or get too big and unsightly so I just leave it.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options

It was the Bible in the day, the heaviest book people had!
  • flowerhorsey
    Options
    So far today I've soaked it with a black tea bag and put frankinscence eo on it. Met my sis for a walk and showed her. she said she gets one on the top of her foot and hits it with a book to make it go away and welcomed me to middle age! I'll let the Dr hit it with a book on Monday!! Hoping maybe it will just disappear B4 then.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Appeared last night after heavy leg session. On inside my wrist. Never had one B4 and have self diagnosis until I see Dr on Monday but it looks exactly like pics I saw. It's small but so are my wrists and it's ugly :( Anyone ever have this B4? Do they go away? Is it from lifting?

My wife had this. She had the cyst removed surgically and so far so good.

The cyst was quite extensive and had wound itself around the tendons in her wrist so the surgery had to be very carefully done.

She was in surgery for several hours.

No clear reason why this condition arose (for her).

• theknitpicker
    theknitpicker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've had them on both wrists - and was categorically told my my doc NEVER to hit them with a book, that's an old wives tale.

They're basically just a lil tear in your connective tissue that fills with fluid. The lump comes when that fluid calcifies. So either your body absorbs the calcification and it goes away, or you have to get it removed. No biggie! That's why they tend to happen in joints, knees, wrists, etc.

On my right wrist, it got to the point where it had to be surgically removed, it wasn't disappearing and was restricting bone growth. I've had no troubles since then.

My left one comes and goes, it usually pops up 2-3 times a year. I wear a wrist brace while it appears and just adapt my grip while training, and it goes down in 2-4 days. I still lift as normal when I have one, but I may need to hold the bar differently. The only thing I find I can't do are push-ups!
  • flowerhorsey
    Options
    Mine is probably a permanent part of me now!