Really want pizza!

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    One slice of most commercial large pizza is 300 calories. Can your calorie budget afford it?

That slice of pizza, if you choose to eat it, will have 2-3 grams of salt in the crust. Drink a lot of extra water afterward to avoid the water retention issue.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    One slice of most commercial large pizza is 300 calories. Can your calorie budget afford it?

That slice of pizza, if you choose to eat it, will have 2-3 grams of salt in the crust. Drink a lot of extra water afterward to avoid the water retention issue.

One slice of a large Papa John's pepperoni pizza has 805 mg of sodium. The same slice at Pizza Hut has 910 mg. At Domino's, it's 700 mg. One slice of pizza does not have 2-3 grams of sodium in it unless you are adding more salt yourself.
  • betty_veronica4
    betty_veronica4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you want pizza, eat pizza. Just log it and stay in your calorie goals.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    If you are dieting so strictly that you aren’t sure whether pizza will derail your progress then I imagine there are other things you’ve restricted unnecessarily...

Any food can be part of a calorie appropriate, balanced, nutrient dense diet. Cutting out foods that you enjoy is rarely a formula for lasting success.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    melir85 wrote: »
    Give homemade flatbread pizza a try :)

Unrelated and out of curiosity, is flatbread pizza used because it's more convenient to make than dough? Not a trick question, just that if you have the time, thin crust pizza may have fewer calories than flatbread pizza (depending on the bread) because it can be rolled thinner.
  • sportychic87
    sportychic87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Lean cuisine makes tasty little pizzas that run 300-400 calories, small but tasty
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I saw a pinterest 'recipe' using large portabella mushrooms as the pizza base, then add sauce and toppings. Haven't made it yet but will definitely satisfy the pizza urge for me as I have to avoid gluten and I'm not a fan of the 'fake' crust recipes.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I had pizza last night. It fit within my calorie goal, so why not? I had a donut the day before that. I'm not on this earth to be punished. Making things "strict" would be unsustainable for me because I hate being miserable. If I want to eat something, I fit it in my calories or I go exercise to earn more. :D
  • VeggieGirlforLife
    VeggieGirlforLife Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »
    I saw a pinterest 'recipe' using large portabella mushrooms as the pizza base, then add sauce and toppings. Haven't made it yet but will definitely satisfy the pizza urge for me as I have to avoid gluten and I'm not a fan of the 'fake' crust recipes.

Portobella mushroom caps for pizza are so good! I discovered them after I was forced to go gluten free. They're more filling for me, too, and less calories than a traditional pizza crust.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »

Portebello mushroom crust "pizza" is delicious. I like it with tuna fish. Yum!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

One slice of a large Papa John's pepperoni pizza has 805 mg of sodium. The same slice at Pizza Hut has 910 mg. At Domino's, it's 700 mg. One slice of pizza does not have 2-3 grams of sodium in it unless you are adding more salt yourself.

Salt is salt. It has sodium in it.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    https://www.aldi.com.au/en/groceries/recipes/main-meals-recipes/cauliflower-crust-pizza/

Definitely won't be the same - but cauliflower crust pizza :)

I put it through our recipe thing on here - said 1900kj a serve - sounds a lot for cauliflower based pizza - anyone else want to try to work it out?
  • Birder165
    Birder165 Posts: 484 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There's always homemade pita pizzas and English muffin pizzas. This used to be a thing when I went to WW years and years ago.
    There's lots of recipes you can find for them on Pinterest.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When I'm craving pizza, I order a personal pan veggie pizza from Pizza Hut. I can have the whole thing for a little under 500 calories. Kills the craving but doesn't torpedo my whole week.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

You'll notice I didn't say 'sodium'. I said "salt". I make pizza, I know dough. I stand by my assertion.
  • niemzak
    niemzak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I get this craving too. It usually mean progress! So, I make the pizza at home, and I go to a lot of effort to truly make it worthwhile. I use Ken Forkish's recipes from The Elements of Pizza. Some of those doughs take 48-72 hours to prepare (almost all hands off), and they are SO worth it. And it gives me 2-3 days to bank some calories and be a little bit extra active.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I've been eating pizza every Saturday night since I discovered the two Ingredient dough. I make a 10 inch pizza and with sauce, cheese and toppings it averages between 500-650 calories for the whole thing. I love it.

tell me more about this dough please and thank you!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Have the pizza, I know I do :smiley: but a few slices is more than enough for me along with salad.
  • lolothedragon
    lolothedragon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I ate a good portion of a medium pizza tonight. It fit my calories. No regrets.
  • Ziggy2875
    Ziggy2875 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Eat the pizza fit it into your calories. What happens when you finish strict dieting? If you go back to your old ways you will regain the weight. You may find it easier to learn how to eat the foods you enjoy while on your weight loss journey, to better handle them when you meet your goals (unless your goal is to give up pizza forever)