michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning: The Forgotten Art Of Bodyweight Training

or

you can get you are your own gym
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I think what people are skeptical about is the amount of muscle claimed. Yes, people can build good bodies using bodyweight programs. Bar-men (in prison the guys that do more bodyweight/pull-up bars instead of weights) can get ripped AF. They just don't get that big.

The most efficient way to get big is progressive overload with reps in the 8-12 range as shown by research by Brad Schoenfeld. You can gain nearly as much muscle and get much stronger by going lower rep scheme but not everyone cares about strength and wants every advantage. There is no way on earth I could be squatting 435 and deadlifting 520 in less than a year by doing bodyweight stuff.

I am not coming down on the OP. In fact, I hope he can prove many of us wrong. 25lbs of muscle and limited fat naturally from bodyweight and limited overload just seems hard to believe. I'm a relative noob to lifting at just under a year but agree with the more seasoned lifters.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I think you can definitely put on muscle without going to gym.

You will need progressive resistance of some sort. This could done in many ways.

You can do dips on chairs or parallel bars and add weight as you get stronger. Can be done at home or your local playground. Dips alone can develop your chest, shoulders, and triceps tremendously. Same with pullups. Add weight as needed.

Actually just buy one of those pullup/dip towers and away you go. Pick up a used one on Craiglist. Awesomeness awaits!

A deadlift type movement or squat can be done by lifting heavy objects like the WSM guys do with Atlas Stones. Or just buy a barbell set and train at home.

Combine this with lots of food and you will gain.

My only objection to the OP's idea is his perhaps unrealistic expectations of gaining 25lbs. in a year and still being ripped. The definition of "ripped". Most likely he does not mean "ripped" in the sense of competitive bodybuilding but as in being very muscular and in great shape.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    dart_si wrote: »
    Hello forum. I notice many people on here think it's impossible to get into good shape without going to the gym and lifting multiple times a week. I plan to gain about 25 pounds over the next year and a half without going to the gym once.
    I have a pullups bar, I will be doing a lot of modified body weight exercise. I'm at 145 pounds right now and 5'10. My body fat stays around the single digits naturally so this may be easier for someone like me compared to others. If you want to see my progress in the future feel free to contact me.
    Has anybody had any success doing what I'm doing or similar?

I don't think any regular posters here say you can't get in good shape working out at home or without weights. You certainly can. Programs like Nerd Fitness, You are Your own Gym, and Convict Conditioning are often recommended.

But it is borderline impossible to gain 25 lbs in a year and a half while maintaining single digit BF%. A pro athlete working with an elite trainer and nutritionist might not even be able to do that.

I'm curious how you're measuring your body fat?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Agree with the recent posters, it's the amount of muscle in the the time period in the OP that causes my raised eyebrows.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Putting on 25lbs in a year is doable, but certainly not while staying lean unless you plan on breaking out the needles. The 25lbs you put on will be around 12-15lbs of fat so you won't be ripped so you will have to cut and that will sacrifice a bit of muscle to get down the fat then you'll only be up about 8-10lbs or muscle. This is if you are doing a bodybuilding routine in a gym, I'm not sure what you can gain on bodyweight only exercises but likely somewhat less since you won't be maximizing muscle stimulation. This isn't a knock against bodyweight, but it just takes more time due to the leverages that need to be overcome. You just don't see that many people who are really big from bodyweight only.

I used to workout with a group that alternated between bodyweight and weight training and we always lost size during the bodyweight phase of training. It just doesn't stimulate the muscles the same way nor as maximally, but the things you could do with your body were pretty damn impressive.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    avadahm wrote: »
    I haven’t been successful in THAT much muscle gain (10 so far) but calistnics definitely work to a good degree for me.

I personally avoid the gym because I don’t feel like paying money for it. I can invest in basic equipment at home if needed.

You do you and keep at it and there’s no way you can’t accomplish your goals!

how do you know you have put on 10 lbs of muscle??

I love how people can pin point exactly how much muscles they have gained.

It's simple. You just need a protractor, a graphing calculator, a scientific calculator, a scale, and an abacus.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    avadahm wrote: »
    I haven’t been successful in THAT much muscle gain (10 so far) but calistnics definitely work to a good degree for me.

I personally avoid the gym because I don’t feel like paying money for it. I can invest in basic equipment at home if needed.

You do you and keep at it and there’s no way you can’t accomplish your goals!

how do you know you have put on 10 lbs of muscle??

I love how people can pin point exactly how much muscles they have gained.

It's simple. You just need a protractor, a graphing calculator, a scientific calculator, a scale, and an abacus.

I am pretty sure she did that.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Not to pile on, but I like to hit a Double Biceps with transition into Most Muscular pose and then estimate muscle poundage gained using a secret formula which is accurate to 0.01% (if done in my typical bathroom mirror lighting conditions).
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Well, I hope the OP comes back so we can pummel him some more. o:)