Help me save my left foot

Options
I've plateaued! I really need to lose another 3 kg or so but it just won't go.

The objective set by this site is a net 1200 cals a day (BMR approx 1800). I'm regularly 300 - 500 cals below that (in other words, I'm averaging 900 cals a day net). I'm really putting in on aerobic exercise.

But in spite of all this effort, I've just see-sawed across a 2kg range for the past 3 weeks.

What do I need to change?

If I don't get the answer, I'll hack off my left foot to mid-shin level with a McDonalds menu ... unsterilised..

That should do it.

:explode:

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    you aren't eating enough. You're body is starvation mode, causing it to store instead of lose. You NEED to eat more! 1,200 NET is the lowest you should go daily. Below that and you may start doing damage....
  • Happy0326
    Happy0326 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm not for sure but I think because your not eating all your calories your body is going into starvation mode. Try eating more as crazy as that sounds. Your body needs fuel.
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    you aren't eating enough. You're body is starvation mode, causing it to store instead of lose. You NEED to eat more! 1,200 NET is the lowest you should go daily. Below that and you may start doing damage....

^^^^ This describes your problem exactly. Up your calories :)
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You need to eat ALL your calories or as close to your target as possible (some days i can't possibly eat anything else).
    Are you drinking water until you are floating?
    Think about mixing up your exercise routine. Your body gets used to it after a while and it's no long as effective as it once was.
  • kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    Eat more, your net shouldn't be below 1200.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If your diary is up to date, you are not getting enough protein, whole grains, veggies or fruits (in fact, almost no veggies or fruits). You need to get the proper nutrients in your body for it to be able to funtion well.
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    I've plateaued! I really need to lose another 3 kg or so but it just won't go.

The objective set by this site is only a net 1200 cals a day (BMR approx 1800). I'm regularly 300 - 500 cals below that (in other words an average of 900 cals a day net) as I'm really putting in on aerobic exercise.

But in spite of all this effort, I've just see-sawed across a 2kg range for the past 3 weeks.

What do I need to change?

If I don't get the answer, I'll hack off my left foot to mid-shin level with an laminated McDonalds menu ... unsterilised..

That should do it.

:explode:

You're eating too little.

Your BMR is what you would burn by staying in bed all day. So in actuality you burn way over that based on your activity level. By eating under what MFP suggests you're going into starvation mode.

If your BMR is 1800 use the following to calculate your daily caloric need based on activity level: (this is the harris benedict equation)
    If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

So lets say you are sedentary at a desk job, you would calculate 1800x1.2 = 2160 calories.

So you would need to eat 1200 calories or more a day to not go into starvation. Thats why its important to meet the MFP calorie goal it sets for you AND to eat back your exercise calories.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE!!
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    Sounds like you aren't eating enough. Aim for net of 1200cal/day. Do more strength training in addition to cardio.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I've heard from many people close to reaching their goal weight that they usually have to up their calories further than the 1200 minimum set. Try setting your goal to a 1/2 pound (or whatever the equivalent is to a kg) per week loss instead and eat those calories. It may take a week or two for your body to adjust, but you should start seeing results.
  • boost your metabolism, your body is retreating to storing any fat you consume as you are below a natural intake with your net cals. Increase so you balance out your cardio work more with more protein which kicks the metabolisms butt, keep sugars low, drink a huge amount of water.
    Change your meal plan if you are stuck in a rut, try out new recipies.
    Try a protein shake which will replenish your body with nutrients lost in exercise plus protein and carbs to balance you out.
    ForGoodnessShakes are ace.
    I sincerely hope the foot survives!
  • terence
    terence Posts: 119
    Options

But should I be eating at least 1200 cals or 1200 cals net of exercise? I'm eating at least 1200 cals a day. Exercise is expending approx 300 cals.

I neever go hungry. If I can manage to stuff myself with another meal a day, will that cause me to lose weight? Really??
  • terence
    Options
    Sounds like you aren't eating enough. Aim for net of 1200cal/day. Do more strength training in addition to cardio.

Oooooh!! My skinny little biceps just squealed.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    What the others said....

Also remember that when you are within your goal range, you really can't expect to lose 1kg/week anymore.

I'd suggest you raise your net caloric intake to somewhere just above your BMR - perhaps do it incrementally with 250 cal/day added each week until you are about 1900 cal/day.

Also when you are close to the goal many have experienced great results with switching up the exercise a bit. Perhaps do some strength training and drop some of the cardio.
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options

But should I be eating at least 1200 cals or 1200 cals net of exercise? I'm eating at least 1200 cals a day. Exercise is expending approx 300 cals.

I neever go hungry. If I can manage to stuff myself with another meal a day, will that cause me to lose weight? Really??

Yes, it will.

If you burn 2160 on average + 300 calories or exercise you should be eating a minimum of 1460 calories a day. And its helpful to let that number change periodically. Some days eat even more then that just to keep your body from hitting a plateau.
  • terence
    Options

^^^^ This describes your problem exactly. Up your calories :)

Up your calories too, Claire!

Oh ... sorry ... now I know what you meant. :laugh:
  • terence
    Options
    Your BMR is what you would burn by staying in bed all day. So in actuality you burn way over that based on your activity level. By eating under what MFP suggests you're going into starvation mode.

If your BMR is 1800 use the following to calculate your daily caloric need based on activity level: (this is the harris benedict equation)
    If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

So you would need to eat 1200 calories or more a day to not go into starvation. Thats why its important to meet the MFP calorie goal it sets for you AND to eat back your exercise calories.

1800 cals seems like a lot of food. If I ate 1800 cals (even with exercise) I have no doubt that my weight would take off. I've always found it difficult to accept the BMR they've calculated for me ... experience tells me that it's closer to 1200 (maybe lower). I just can't make sense of it.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    BMR is you being in a coma all day. As soon as you get up, you spend more calories . So imagine eating even less then your BMR and then exercising.... You are trying to kill yourself and your body won't let you (surprisingly!!!)

I am 123 pounds, 4'11'' and I eat 1400 calories then eat my exercice calories. I lose weight fine
  • terence
    Options
    Ok. I'll give it a go. I'll be my own guinea pig (or maybe just a pig).

For the next two weeks, I'll eat a net of 1200 cals but maintain my exercise program. That means approx 1500 cals a day. I'll also increase fruit and veg considerably.

Two weeks ... if it doesn't work, you'll see 3 left work shoes going cheap on eBay.

I'll post my progress.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options

YES, your NET should equal 1,200. So you start with 1,200, burn say 300 for example, eat 1,500 to NET back to 1,200. As I've gotten closer to my goal, but also increased my activity level (significantly), I've upped my calories quite a bit to keep losing. You need fuel. If you don't feed yourself, you have no fuel. No fuel - engine stops cranking. period!