Burning the Calories you Eat..?!?

Options
SkimpyMrsCarter
SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi guys, do you feel that the calories you eat can be equally burned off by the amount of calories you burn while exercising??

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work that way unfortunately. Also It would be very hard for me to burn 2100 calories in exercise every day (my current maintain), unless I were an athlete. Things come to mind like recovery issues; over training, injury, etc.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    It doesn't work that way unfortunately. Also It would be very hard for me to burn 2100 calories in exercise every day (my current maintain), unless I were an athlete. Things come to mind like recovery issues; over training, injury, etc.

Not talking in terms of a whole meal.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You can burn off some calories sure but it's more efficient to just reduce your intake.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Not one meal, but how do I wish. :tongue: This is a whole days calories I burn in 24 hours including my exercise.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    Options

I'm guessing RoxieDawn meant a whole day when she spoke of 2100 calories, not just one meal.
    [/quoe
    When you burn calories through exercise is it the same as the calories you eat is what i am asking.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    Options

Not one meal, but how do I wish. :tongue: This is a whole days calories I burn in 24 hours including my exercise.

Ok that's good
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    edited March 2018
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    You can burn off some calories sure but it's more efficient to just reduce your intake.
    Not what i am asking but thanks
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I traveled 11.8 miles on hike one-way. It took about 2,000-3,000 calories. I was eating chicken and gorp and a whole lot of water. And my companion wouldn't eat or drink anything! (Was kind altitude sickness) I convinced him to eat chicken and water, to fuel his assent toward the peak...but it wasn't easy.

You got to fuel that hike.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Are you asking if, for example, 100 calories eaten = 100 calories burned through exercise? If so, then yes, calories are measuring same amount whether they're eaten or burned.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    Options
    Are you asking if, for example, 100 calories eaten = 100 calories burned through exercise? If so, then yes, calories are measuring same amount whether they're eaten or burned.

Yes thats exactly what i am asking, thanks so much for your advice. Thanks☺
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I'm guessing RoxieDawn meant a whole day when she spoke of 2100 calories, not just one meal.
    When you burn calories through exercise is it the same as the calories you eat is what i am asking.

Yes, they're the same in the sense that they represent the same amount of energy. Like if you deposit $20 in a checking account, or withdraw $20 at the ATM -- the dollars are the same. But in both cases, one is adding and one is subtracting, if that makes sense.

**Edited to fix the quotes that have gotten messed up in this thread.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    Options

Yes, they're the same in the sense that they represent the same amount of energy. Like if you deposit $20 in a checking account, or withdraw $20 at the ATM -- the dollars are the same. But in both cases, one is adding and one is subtracting, if that makes sense.

**Edited to fix the quotes that have gotten messed up in this thread.

Ok Thanks so much☺
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I remember reading one study that showed if you took 2 groups one that reduced their calorie intake by 700 and another that ate the same but burned 700 calories by exercise. The second group lost more weight and kept it off for longer, either way you are creating a deficit but the exercise route will have additional advantages.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP did you get the answer you were looking for with regards to calorie intake and calorie burn? I’m concerned that the original question suggests you may be confused about how the fundamental energy balance of calories in calories out (abbreviated CICO) works.

As others have said, and pardon if I’m being redundant now - you burn a total amount of calories each and every day from being alive, your general activity like moving around your house and workplace, and then purposeful exercise. All of those added together are called your TDEE or total daily energy expenditure. The amount of cals you burn from just being alive represents the biggest part of that equation, then the daily activity and for most people, the exercise burn is the smallest part.

To lose weight you need to have a calorie deficit from that TDEE, if you want to lose 1 lb/week that’s a 500 cal deficit. You don’t need to burn off the amount of food you take in through exercise - you just need to find a way, through either calorie reduction going in, or increased exercise burn - to have the equation of CO-CI = 500. MFP does most of the work for you on set up and figuring out how many calories you need. You just have to do the work to figure out what foods you want to eat, log them accurately, and then determine if you’re going to exercise and track that accordingly.

Hope that helps - good luck.