Carb % ?

Options
Reading conflicting reports. I am down 20lbs and looking to shed another 25lbs. (started out at 252 back in Jan). Just curious what my ratio of Macro food should be. Right now MFP has me set at:

Carb: 40%
Fat: 30%
Protein 30%

Really new to the nutrition game. So looking for any advice you can shed. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• HarveysBud
    HarveysBud Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Thanks @kommodevaran and @tinkerbellang83. So my next point, and I should have included it in my post. I certainly want to lose that remaining weight, but looking to also not lose a lot of muscle, and gain if possible. I know, best of both worlds, but I assume that affects my Macro ratio?
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    HarveysBud wrote: »
    Reading conflicting reports. I am down 20lbs and looking to shed another 25lbs. (started out at 252 back in Jan). Just curious what my ratio of Macro food should be. Right now MFP has me set at:

Protein 30%

Really new to the nutrition game. So looking for any advice you can shed. Thanks in advance.

Note. Looking to lose the weight, but also maintain and gain muscle as well. How does that affect the ratio??
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Protein 30%

Note. Looking to lose the weight, but also maintain and gain muscle as well. How does that affect the ratio??

See the link I posted, there's guidance there for minimum RDA in grams, protein is important for maintaining muscle but 30% should be more than adequate.
  • HarveysBud
    Options

Protein 30%

See the link I posted, there's guidance there for minimum RDA in grams, protein is important for maintaining muscle but 30% should be more than adequate.

Thank you!
  • musickfit
    musickfit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey @HarveysBud! I'm Lauren, a personal trainer and nutritionist. This is what I personally would recommend to my clients: Yes, your macros do play a large part in maintaining lean mass while losing fat. Well just one macro really - protein. When you're in a caloric deficit, that a little higher than it would be during a maintenance phase. I usually shoot for 1.5-1.8 grams per kg of body weight (bodyweight in lb./2.2). Keep in mind also, the best way to maintain your muscle while also eating enough protein is to train adequately as well. Lift heavy enough to tell you central nervous system you still need those muscles even when you're in a deficit.
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    musickfit wrote: »
    Hey @HarveysBud! I'm Lauren, a personal trainer and nutritionist. This is what I personally would recommend to my clients: Yes, your macros do play a large part in maintaining lean mass while losing fat. Well just one macro really - protein. When you're in a caloric deficit, that a little higher than it would be during a maintenance phase. I usually shoot for 1.5-1.8 grams per kg of body weight (bodyweight in lb./2.2). Keep in mind also, the best way to maintain your muscle while also eating enough protein is to train adequately as well. Lift heavy enough to tell you central nervous system you still need those muscles even when you're in a deficit.

Lauren, thanks so much. Definitely going to push/lift as much weight as I can during each session!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Ratios are meaningless in and of themselves, what matters is getting adequate protein and dietary fat while being in a caloric deficit, after hitting your protein and fat minimums any calories you have left over can go to c/p/f of your choosing. E.g. An endurance athlete with a calorie goal of 3500 might have 80% of their calories coming from carbs because they can already hit their protein and fat requirements and still have so many cals left over which they might all put into carbs, whereas a sedentary older female with a calorie goal of just 1200 may have a much smaller % coming from carbs because after hitting protein/fat requirements she won't have much calories remaining since she only has 1200 cals to work with.
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    Ratios are meaningless in and of themselves, what matters is getting adequate protein and dietary fat while being in a caloric deficit, after hitting your protein and fat minimums any calories you have left over can go to c/p/f of your choosing. E.g. An endurance athlete with a calorie goal of 3500 might have 80% of their calories coming from carbs because they can already hit their protein and fat requirements and still have so many cals left over which they might all put into carbs, whereas a sedentary older female with a calorie goal of just 1200 may have a much smaller % coming from carbs because after hitting protein/fat requirements she won't have much calories remaining since she only has 1200 cals to work with.

This is very informative @nosebag1212 . Thank you.
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    Someone seems to not understand what "woo" means on MFP. None of the posts above deserve to be "woo'ed" in my opinion. They all seem to give good, solid advice.

Here "woo" is more along the lines of BS (Bro Science).

@harveysbud You want to get your protein up in grams and start picking heavy things up and putting them back down. I also think you will need to slow your weight loss down some to spare the muscle loss.

Have a look at this thread for lifting ideas. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Hey, thanks for all of this, especially the 'Woo' education!! Ha, and picking heavy things up and putting them back down...love it. What do you think, 1lb a week as a goal? Been at 2lbs the last 10 weeks. Again, thanks for this.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Someone seems to not understand what "woo" means on MFP. None of the posts above deserve to be "woo'ed" in my opinion. They all seem to give good, solid advice.

@harveysbud You want to get your protein up in grams and start picking heavy things up and putting them back down. I also think you will need to slow your weight loss down some to spare the muscle loss.

Have a look at this thread for lifting ideas. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Hey, thanks for all of this, especially the 'Woo' education!! Ha, and picking heavy things up and putting them back down...love it. What do you think, 1lb a week as a goal? Been at 2lbs the last 10 weeks. Again, thanks for this.

Yeah, I would go for 1 lb. Good news is you get to eat a bit more, but it does take longer to lose. I'm kinda going back and forth between 1 and .5 lbs, depending on my day. I'm set to .5 but some days I leave more on the table. But I'm also at the beginning of 1/2 marathon training so I will be switching to maintenance even though I'd still like to lose more, but training and losing weight don't go hand in hand and I'd rather do the training right now.
  • HarveysBud
    Options

Yeah, I would go for 1 lb. Good news is you get to eat a bit more, but it does take longer to lose. I'm kinda going back and forth between 1 and .5 lbs, depending on my day. I'm set to .5 but some days I leave more on the table. But I'm also at the beginning of 1/2 marathon training so I will be switching to maintenance even though I'd still like to lose more, but training and losing weight don't go hand in hand and I'd rather do the training right now.

Right on. And ya, going to have to be a bit more patient. rather it take a bit longer to get to my goal either if I can keep on building some muscle along the way.

ll the best with the 1/2. That;s awesome. And thanks again for the note.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Not sure on percentage but I eat about 200g/day maybe 180g if I haven't been very active
  • HarveysBud
    Options
    Not sure on percentage but I eat about 200g/day maybe 180g if I haven't been very active

Protein?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

Protein?

150g protein which is admittedly a little high for me but I'm experimenting with a supplement that requires a little extra for the next 8 weeks lol fats fall around 60g