Minimum stretch hold time?

Options
I know I have to do stretches and I have what I believe is an effective routine, but it strains my patience :) partly because it comes at the end of a workout that takes almost 2 hours and I’m eager to leave the gym by then. Also because stretches HURT. If I can’t see the second hand on a clock while doing the stretch I’m especially prone to cheat. I have heard stretches should be held for 30 seconds. A trainer I worked with for a while (before I got fed up with that gym and moved on) said 20 seconds. Wondering what folks here have decided is the minimum time to hold a stretch?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    30 sec is the common rule of thumb, but that might not work for every single person in the world. Some might need 20, others 40, etc. High level athletes might stretch for several minutes each.
  • boomerising
    boomerising Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you @TavistockToad, @amusedmonkey and @lorrpb for your help. I knew I’d be glad I asked that question here. The trainer who taught me most of what I *thought* I knew about stretching never expressed any concern about my complaints of pain. Neither has any other trainer to whom I’ve mentioned it in passing. Then again they weren’t high-level trainers any more than I’m a high-level athlete. I’m also 65 years old and I’ve been on and off the gym wagon way too much, which probably means I am hopelessly tight in a lot of places and some pain with stretching is inevitable. All that said though, I have always wondered about whether I could hurt myself pushing the stretch too hard (calf stretches being perhaps the most worrisome because those REALLY hurt if I push them). So I’m going to take your remarks to heart and go a little more gentle, searching for that “feel” for the difference between effective and excessive. Maybe with that greater care I can also hold the stretches longer.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Stretching isn't necessarily required right after working out, unless you find certain stretches beneficial. If you're chronically tight in certain areas, what i would do is stretch those spots every few hours, for 30+ seconds. How far you push a stretch isn't as important as how often you do it, because the effects of stretching don't last long. :+1:
  • boomerising
    boomerising Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Cherimoose —that is definitely an alternative for me to consider. And it will help when I don’t make it to the gym until I have barely enough time to do my workout before they close. On those days I usually cut the resistance/weight training portion short, which is obviously not a good thing, because I’m afraid to skip the stretches. I was under the impression stretches needed to be done while the muscles were still warm from exertion. If I can do them a little later on at home, that will be great when I’m short on time. It’s a bit of a pain to do stretches in my crowded 1BR apartment, but once it isn’t so damn cold outside I can do some of them on the porch. A lot of the stretches that seem to help me are ones involving holding on to a bar, of which I don’t have the equivalent indoors.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i never hold stretches for more than a few seconds, until i feel satisfied. and i never stretch after working out when my muscles are hot and abused
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Many people gave found foam rolling to be helpful. It's more of a release than a stretch, which can be very useful.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Cherimoose —that is definitely an alternative for me to consider. And it will help when I don’t make it to the gym until I have barely enough time to do my workout before they close. On those days I usually cut the resistance/weight training portion short, which is obviously not a good thing, because I’m afraid to skip the stretches. I was under the impression stretches needed to be done while the muscles were still warm from exertion. If I can do them a little later on at home, that will be great when I’m short on time. It’s a bit of a pain to do stretches in my crowded 1BR apartment, but once it isn’t so damn cold outside I can do some of them on the porch. A lot of the stretches that seem to help me are ones involving holding on to a bar, of which I don’t have the equivalent indoors.

Using a straight-back kitchen-type chair can work for those :)
  • sophia162
    sophia162 Posts: 115 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i never hold stretches for more than a few seconds, until i feel satisfied. and i never stretch after working out when my muscles are hot and abused

Whoa. I thought that was precisely the ideal time to stretch. Has that been debunked too? :/ (Genuinely and respectfully asking, not being sarcastic.)

I also thought for a stretch to be beneficial, it had to be held more than a few seconds, lol. Like 30-60 seconds, which, just like the OP, is so boring and time consuming for me!

I dunno, I just want to know the right/best way and do that u.u
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    sophia162 wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Whoa. I thought that was precisely the ideal time to stretch. Has that been debunked too? :/ (Genuinely and respectfully asking, not being sarcastic.)

I also thought for a stretch to be beneficial, it had to be held more than a few seconds, lol. Like 30-60 seconds, which, just like the OP, is so boring and time consuming for me!

I dunno, I just want to know the right/best way and do that u.u

what benefits are you looking for from stretching?
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I put on a song I love (slowish paced) which is about 8 minutes and stretch. I really try not to skip it. It does make a difference.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression stretches needed to be done while the muscles were still warm from exertion.

Not necessarily. Your muscles are always about 100 degrees, which is downright hot. As long as you ease into the stretch slowly, and don't push too far, you'll be ok.
    On the other hand, if you're trying to extend your range-of-motion.. like to do a split, for example.. then being warmed up is a good idea. But right after a heavy strength session might not be the best time, for the reason Sonya mentioned..

The studies on stretching say the release of tension is more lasting if it's held at least 30 seconds, with 45-60 being better. You can certainly feel some relief from shorter stretches, but it won't last as long. :+1:
  • mztamaraann
    mztamaraann Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do what feels right. I stretch until I feel good. I hold some longer than others. For me stretching after a good workout is like icing on the cake.
  • puttputt24
    puttputt24 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Under 60 years old = minimum of 30sec
    Over 60 = minimum 60 sec

Physical Therapy student
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    puttputt24 wrote: »
    Under 60 years old = minimum of 30sec
    Over 60 = minimum 60 sec

Physical Therapy student

why
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    seriously, why. because i only hold stretch for a few seconds and i feel great. what are the benefits of holding the stretch for 30 seconds or 60 seconds. And i never hold a stretch static, i'm always moving and stretching the muscles different directions.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't stretch afterward. I spend a long time doing a dynamic warm up or specific stretches before a workout, but it' basically physical therapy. It wouldn't matter when I did it. I only spend time on a muscle if it needs to be released and in that case I can go up to two minutes.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    As long as it takes for your body to settle fully into the stretch.

AKA

No bouncing.

It might be 15 seconds or 60 until your muscles fully relax and you achieve full extension.. Don't be a clock watcher and don't rush it. but once you've reached full relaxed extension and stretch. One full breath or 2 heartbeats is plenty.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to achieve. Are you just looking to stretch out tight muscles or actively get more flexible? I do flexibility training to full extension (and then some). I minimum hold a stretch for a minute. Sometimes up to five depending on what I'm doing. But your goals might be different from mine.

In terms of getting bored, I always, always put on music. And for longer stretches, if I need the extra distraction (and I'm in a good position) I'll read on my phone. I've often trawled the mfp forums while doing middle splits!