Meal replacement shakes

Options
So I have these meal replacement shakes from Advocare and I’ve been hearing a lot of different opinions on them. Some say there good some say just eat regular food if you can. But I’m never hungry in the morning so I usually have one I’m going to see a nutritionist next Tuesday but I just wanted to get everybody thoughts on them here

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If it fits your calorie goal and you like it then great. Also, Anything sold by an MLM usually you can get cheaper and better quality without being badgered about becoming a "coach".
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    You don’t have to eat in the morning if you’re not hungry.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast or delaying your eating till later is okay as long as it does not cause you to not eat all of your calories in the day. Do you like these shakes? Just fit them in your daily calories.

I look at it as how you choose to eat/drink your calories now is how you will want to after weight loss when you move to maintenance. And if you just want to use them up since you paid for them, I see no harm in them from that perspective as well.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,105 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry in the morning, there is nothing written in stone to say you have to eat breakfast, as long as you're getting your calorie intake in across the day then there really isn't any reason to force a meal replacement down just for the sake of it.

Weight loss happens through a calorie deficit so it can be done with normal food (See success stories threads for plenty of real life examples of people losing weight just fine). If you prefer a meal replacement for convenience that's fair enough, but there's nothing magical about them that causes weight loss and unless you see it as something you want to do/spend long term, you may be better off just learning to eat accordingly now.

I have used slimfast in the past and whilst I'd lose a couple of pound of water weight, it would return the minute I went back to eating again because I didn't learn any portion control.

Like @cathipa says most MLM products are overpriced, you can probably pick up better quality cheaper products at the supermarket or online. A lot of the bigger online retailers you can get a large pack for around $30.
  • bribbyx74
    bribbyx74 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys appreciate everybody’s response I know people are saying I don’t have to eat in the morning but iam a diabetic so if I don’t my blood sugar levels drop throughout the day because my body is not use to me eating like this so I know I need to have a little something in the morning so that’s why I have the shakes but I just heard mixed reviews so that’s why I was asking! Thank again ☺️
  • sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bribbyx74 wrote: »
    Thanks guys appreciate everybody’s response I know people are saying I don’t have to eat in the morning but iam a diabetic so if I don’t my blood sugar levels drop throughout the day because my body is not use to me eating like this so I know I need to have a little something in the morning so that’s why I have the shakes but I just heard mixed reviews so that’s why I was asking! Thank again ☺️

Being diabetic changes you should always eat breakfast your sugars will spike when hungry even if you don't "feel" hungry breakfast for diabetics I would say is a must. I'm a type 2 for years and my doctor stresses that a lot.
  • saymyname2
    saymyname2 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I drink them for breakfast and sometimes lunch. I don't eat meat much, and Im a VERY picky eater. I find that they help with protein and other nutritional needs. I had a BAD habit of skipping meals and binge eating at night, this really helped curb that.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Type 2 diabetic. I have been using Premier chocolate since the Fall 2017. I have lost 54 lbs. Of course, I am eating healthier food and in the right quantity which of course helped. On was on my diabetic meds 2x a day. Now I am only on once a day and will have blood work taken this week and I believe I can be off the diabetic med totally. (Also now off my high blood pressure med). Now I did just read on the internet last week about the 12 meal replacements/powders that are the worst. Mine was on the list. So that doesn't make me happy. But of course not really sure if that is a true study. I may call the company to double check. I find the drink extremely easy to reach for. Instead of making myself eggs in the morning and a bowl of oatmeal, I can just reach for the drink and be done with it, no fuss or time.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

Usually helpful to mention something like that in your initial post for future reference :lol: it can make a big difference to the advice you're given.

Have a chat to an Registered Dietician (I notice you mentioned a nutritionist, make sure they are suitably qualified because anyone with an online course under their belt can call themselves a nutritionist, as opposed to an RD who in most countries must be degree qualified in Nutritional sciences)

• tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Hi, I am Type 2 diabetic. I have been using Premier chocolate since the Fall 2017. I have lost 54 lbs. Of course, I am eating healthier food and in the right quantity which of course helped. On was on my diabetic meds 2x a day. Now I am only on once a day and will have blood work taken this week and I believe I can be off the diabetic med totally. (Also now off my high blood pressure med). Now I did just read on the internet last week about the 12 meal replacements/powders that are the worst. Mine was on the list. So that doesn't make me happy. But of course not really sure if that is a true study. I may call the company to double check. I find the drink extremely easy to reach for. Instead of making myself eggs in the morning and a bowl of oatmeal, I can just reach for the drink and be done with it, no fuss or time.

Probably best to do some independent research yourself, no company selling products is going to admit their product is rubbish, particularly in the diet industry.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I did a little poking around, and as best I can tell, the list is from Eat This, Not That, which is trying to sell me things so I’m a little suspicious of their methodologies from the beginning. It looks like they don’t approve of much that isn’t organic, and that Premier ended up on the bad list because it uses an emulsifier commonly made with partially hydrogenated oils, even though the company says they do not use partially hydrogenated oil in their version. It looks like one of those “processed foods are scary” things, but I’m happy to be corrected if someone knows more about the reputability of the source.

From the site: “Commonly used in over-processed breads, DATEM (DiAcetylTartaric acid Esters of Monoglycerides) is used as a shelf-stabilizing emulsifier in both dough and protein shake applications, as protein powder is notoriously difficult to mix with water. Unfortunately, this additive is often made from artery-clogging partially hydrogenated oils, which the FDA will ban from food products starting in June 2018. Premier Protein responded to us and said their DATEM is only made from fully-hydrogenated oil—but why use it in the first place, when so many others don’t?”

ETA: Full disclosure, I drink Premier and prefer the taste and mouthfeel to the organic brands I’ve tried. I also like that it doesn’t need to be refrigerated and is cheaper, although many will point to that as a sign of over-processing. To which I would reply that meal replacements and protein supplements are all highly-processed, even if you slap the word “organic” on them.
  • TynaBaby17
    TynaBaby17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use meal substitute shakes as well! Usually around lunch time in between college classes and my evening job when I don't have a lot of time to make something to eat!

If you don't end up liking the ones you got I use the Herbalife Formula One Meal Substitute shakes, and it comes in like 10 different flavors! I've had the vanilla, cookies and creme and the dutch chocolate, and all three taste really great! I like the chocolate one because it satisfies my chocolate craving sweet tooth best. When I drink it, it usually holds me over really well for another 3 ish hours (134 lbs, 5'6"). I definitely recommend them! They are a bit expensive, $40, but one tub lasts me around a month and a half and I use it about 3-4 times a week!
  • Nbaker0909
    Nbaker0909 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I really like the advocare shakes too. The convenience and fact that i could make it with a shaker bottle and didn’t feel like i needed to blend it to get a good texture was a huge bonus! I’m currently switching it up and doing a protein bar for breakfast. But I’ll definitely go back to those shakes. I love traditional breakfast food too but don’t leave myself much time in the morning so the convenience of a shake or bar in the morning is huge for me.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

This would have been helpful to know in your OP. I certainly would never give advice or recommend something outside of health/medical issues. So advice or comments not tailored to your exact needs should be ignored; seeking guidance from your doctors is always the best policy.
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I drink one at work at my first break to keep me going before lunch. I don't have enough time to eat.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thank you Tinkerbellang83 and MegaMooseE :):)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Test your blood sugar two hours after the Avocare shake to see if it is doing what you need it to do.