Meal prepping for the week

Options
Hi all, I'm going to start prepping my meals for the week ahead. I don't fancy storing more than a couple of days meals in the refrigerator and would like to freeze the rest. I have a good idea of what will and won't freeze but wondered if anyone freezes their prepped meals and has any tips?

Replies

• andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I freeze most my meals if I make for more than 3 days. I've found most things (at least the things I eat) freezes well, but then again I'm not very picky
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the "Recipes" board. There are a couple of current meal prep threads and lots of good ideas.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Homemade cabbage rolls freeze really well, I can get about 21 rolls out of a pot.
  • jollycity
    jollycity Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice guys. The situation I have is that I follow a high protein paleo diet so I don't eat any sauces, stews or prepared foods as such. Generally, my meals are lean meats or fish, usually grilled or oven baked and I eat loads of salad or fresh veggies. I think I might just prep my meat and the limited carbs I eat (Quinoa, pulses, sweet potato) and add the veggies and salad as I need it. Might go for frozen veggies which can just add and reheat with the rest of my meal. Cheers, you've helped me clarifiy my thoughts.
  • jollycity
    Options
    andreaen wrote: »
    I freeze most my meals if I make for more than 3 days. I've found most things (at least the things I eat) freezes well, but then again I'm not very picky

Me too andrea. I love everything!
  • jollycity
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Yep, I'm a weekly meal-prepper. I leave 3 days worth of meals in the fridge, then put the rest in the freezer. When the fridge is empty, I pull out another 3 days worth of food. Works great.

The key to meal-prepping is choosing recipes that reheat well. I find that "saucy" recipes work the best. Things like stews, soups, curries, pastas, etc. Keep your container mostly covered when reheating in the microwave to keep things like rice from drying out.

Cook your veggies al-dente so when you reheat them they don't become too mushy.

Properly layered mason jar salads surprisingly stay crisp in the fridge for a long time, about a week.

Thank you. I always cook my veggies al-dente. Why cook the goodness out of them!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You can batch cook. Prepare and cook your meats and carbs. Freeze half of those and leave half in the fridge. Then, prepare your meals when it's time to eat out of the items you've already made. You can add fresh veg or whip up something quick.

For example, my friend makes a huge pot of each -oatmeal, chicken, ground turkey, rice, sweet potatos, roasted brussel sprouts, and puts them in containers to store. When its time to eat, he portions out of the containers and adds other veg, cheese, avocado, nuts etc.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Reheating dry foods, I sprinkle a little water on and cover the container with either its lid or a paper towel.
  • bodylicious01
    bodylicious01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I meal prep every Sunday, for the week I don't freeze my meals but that's a good Idea.
  • Jennymarie57
    Jennymarie57 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    any tips on freezing meat? is there any thing you absolutely can't freeze or is gross to freeze?
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    jenny6157 wrote: »
    any tips on freezing meat? is there any thing you absolutely can't freeze or is gross to freeze?

Cooked chicken breast can get kinda dry if frozen and reheated. I prefer using chicken thighs with their higher fat content, and lots of my chicken recipes are cooked in liquids so reheating is always perfect. I think a grilled, plain chicken breast that was frozen then reheated wouldn't be the best.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    jollycity wrote: »
    Thanks for the great advice guys. The situation I have is that I follow a high protein paleo diet so I don't eat any sauces, stews or prepared foods as such. Generally, my meals are lean meats or fish, usually grilled or oven baked and I eat loads of salad or fresh veggies. I think I might just prep my meat and the limited carbs I eat (Quinoa, pulses, sweet potato) and add the veggies and salad as I need it. Might go for frozen veggies which can just add and reheat with the rest of my meal. Cheers, you've helped me clarifiy my thoughts.

That’s what I do. Cook a whole chicken, make stock, and use the meat in different ways throughout the week. Throwing a meal together is quick when the meat is done, and I do like the vegetables fresh. To freeze cooked chicken, I submerge it in chicken stock then freeze. Prevents dryness, freezer burn. Best if defrosts 24 hrs in fridge vs microwaving. Same with pulled pork... I freeze it submerged in its juices rendered in cooking. I’ve never frozen cooked fish, but fish defrosts and cooks pretty fast.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Meats freeze really well. I'll refrigerate 3/4 days worth of meals and freeze the remaining. I put them in their own serving size in freezer bags and microwave as needed. Egg cups also freeze well for breakfast, so do pancakes.