Those last 5 pounds

Options
Hey all- I’ve been tracking what I eat for about a year now- recently switched from another app to MFP bc I was worried I wasn’t eating enough calories. I’ve plateaued since the holidays and keep gaining and losing the same few pounds.
Almost all of my workouts/runs are early morning before work. Then I eat breakfast and pack lunch. I feel like I’m in a rut and wonder if maybe I’m not eating my calories properly. Breakfast is usually the smallest calorie meal of the day. Would it make any difference if I switched that up? What’s your typical calorie breakdown for meals?
Thanks so much!

Replies

• hsiino
    hsiino Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I greatly appreciate you taking your time to answer me:)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You're eating at maintenance calories basically. To lose those last pounds it takes being really vigilent at logging calories, for me it took cutting out an extra snack that had snuck into my diet. That saved me around 250 cals a day and got the scale moving again.

My meal calories at maintenance look like this:
    Small breakfast: 250 cals
    Mid morning snack: 200 cals
    Lunch 500
    Dinner 600-700
    evening snack 150-250
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    While "meal timing" doesn't seem to matter much, switching up a pattern that isn't getting you where you want to go is helpful. It may be that your non-exercise activity has slowed down a bit (mine has, thank you cold weather and icy sidewalks) and bumping that up will help.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    As others said, your margin for error is razor thin with only a few pounds to lose. Somewhat of the same point personally (6'1" male, 172lbs, ~12-13% bodyfat by most methods, trying to get leaner on a slow cut/recomp) and any time I stall it's either because I've let my calories creep up or gotten lazy with my logging (and calories have krept up that way).
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: 100-300
    Lunch: 300-500
    Dinner: 500-700
    Snacks: 100-300

I aim for 1200 a day (usually add an extra 200 for exercise)
  • hsiino
    Options
    You're eating at maintenance calories basically. To lose those last pounds it takes being really vigilent at logging calories, for me it took cutting out an extra snack that had snuck into my diet. That saved me around 250 cals a day and got the scale moving again.

My meal calories at maintenance look like this:
    Small breakfast: 250 cals
    Mid morning snack: 200 cals
    Lunch 500
    Dinner 600-700
    evening snack 150-250
    This was exactly what I was looking for- thank you!

• hsiino
    Options
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    Breakfast: 100-300
    Lunch: 300-500
    Dinner: 500-700
    Snacks: 100-300

I aim for 1200 a day (usually add an extra 200 for exercise)

Thank you so much! Hoping making a few minor adjustments will be all I need! My biggest problem is snacking and seeing how few calories I should be eating for snacks really helped it hit home! Thanks again!
  • hsiino
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    While "meal timing" doesn't seem to matter much, switching up a pattern that isn't getting you where you want to go is helpful. It may be that your non-exercise activity has slowed down a bit (mine has, thank you cold weather and icy sidewalks) and bumping that up will help.
    I usually run 4-5 days a week with runs ranging from 5 miles to 12 miles. My down days I should not be eating as many calories as the days I’m active, I get that:) I will definitely keep closer tabs on tracking and try switching up a few activities- thank you:)
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Have you done a diet break? On my last cutting phase, I was stuck at 158-160 lbs, I was already lean at that point. But as a challenge, I wanted to be at 155 lbs. So I went on a diet break (stayed for 2 weeks near maintenance) and lost those 5 lbs with ease.... I was probably holding on to too much water or something.
  • bodylicious01
    bodylicious01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same boat. Im 9 months pp, and I have jist a few more lbs to go for my goal weight but I can't seem to shake those off. I work out, ear healthy drink alot of water and they are still there lol.. I thinj I need to do more cardio
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    When I need to cut a few pounds, I skip breakfast. Call it IF if you wish, but it saves me about 250 cals per day. Once I’m back in range, I add breakfast back in.