Eating in a deficit help

Options

Replies

• kazane1
    kazane1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    What is the maximum expected muscle gain for a male? 3-5 lbs a month? Of course you won't gain all muscle, but i, personally, would be hesitant to aim for a faster gain than that unless I had pharmaceutical assistance....

The idea is to give you maximum length of time at a surplus to train and grow before having to cut ...

@PAV8888
    Okay great thanks for this hoe long would you recommend bulking for then on average before entering a cut?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    kazane1 wrote: »
    I saw your thread about the jump in calories, I was confused by all that. And bulking 6 weeks and then cutting sounds odd as well, but I am sure there are reasons why you need to do this???

To being a cut ideally you reverse where you are calorie wise by taking 250 off your current intake to begin a cut cycle. This is .5 lb per week or 1 lb in 2 weeks? 1 pound loss is hardly enough to warrant a cut cycle to being bulking again.

If you could provide some more info that would be helpful.

@RoxieDawn
    Yeah now I think of it like that that seems very right and true.. if you read my above post that describes why I was considering doing it this way.
    And okay that helps me understand eating in a deficit now.. so my current intake is 3,089 so my deficit would be 2,839 this means then. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

The Arnie info is what I saw from your previous thread. And following this is completely unnecessary.

1) You were not putting on weight at 3089 so this intake is/was not enough. You would bump that up by 200-250 to continue with weight gain, we can stall in gaining just like we do when losing so after a period of time you will need to increase it again.

2) These calculators and calculations for finding TDEE are only good for the beginning which gives you a base line calorie intake to begin. The calculations given to you in your thread are way over kill for you to be eating like that. I know its easy to want to follow a cookie cutter calorie goal given to you by an online calculator, but if you take your current intake and scale weight you can determine your own TDEE, you have been doing this long enough have those data points.

3) What is your weight gain goal? Follow a structured lifting plan and do it for the duration of the plan layout. When you have completed the program you decide the next step based on your goals. You will get the best results by not doing your own program especially your first bulking experience.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This advice is spot on.

Also in response to the short bulks, it won't be as optimal for overall muscle building... with all the jumps back and forth with water weight, not knowing your bulking calories, you won't even know you are in a surplus (which according to you, you didn't gain during your "bulking" phase anyhow), by the time you get the muscle building momentum going you switch again to a cut? This is definitely not the best way to do it. Bulk for for at least 4 months, (I wouldn't gain more than 4lbs per month to minimize fat gains)....and cutting typically is half that.. but it will depend on your bodyfat% starting off, after the bulk and your cutting goals.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I saw your thread about the jump in calories, I was confused by all that. And bulking 6 weeks and then cutting sounds odd as well, but I am sure there are reasons why you need to do this???

To being a cut ideally you reverse where you are calorie wise by taking 250 off your current intake to begin a cut cycle. This is .5 lb per week or 1 lb in 2 weeks? 1 pound loss is hardly enough to warrant a cut cycle to being bulking again.

@RoxieDawn
    Yeah now I think of it like that that seems very right and true.. if you read my above post that describes why I was considering doing it this way.
    And okay that helps me understand eating in a deficit now.. so my current intake is 3,089 so my deficit would be 2,839 this means then. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

The Arnie info is what I saw from your previous thread. And following this is completely unnecessary.

1) You were not putting on weight at 3089 so this intake is/was not enough. You would bump that up by 200-250 to continue with weight gain, we can stall in gaining just like we do when losing so after a period of time you will need to increase it again.

2) These calculators and calculations for finding TDEE are only good for the beginning which gives you a base line calorie intake to begin. The calculations given to you in your thread are way over kill for you to be eating like that. I know its easy to want to follow a cookie cutter calorie goal given to you by an online calculator, but if you take your current intake and scale weight you can determine your own TDEE, you have been doing this long enough have those data points.

3) What is your weight gain goal? Follow a structured lifting plan and do it for the duration of the plan layout. When you have completed the program you decide the next step based on your goals. You will get the best results by not doing your own program especially your first bulking experience.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This advice is spot on.

Also in response to the short bulks, it won't be as optimal for overall muscle building... with all the jumps back and forth with water weight, not knowing your bulking calories, you won't even know you are in a surplus (which according to you, you didn't gain during your "bulking" phase anyhow), by the time you get the muscle building momentum going you switch again to a cut? This is definitely not the best way to do it. Bulk for for at least 4 months, (I wouldn't gain more than 4lbs per month to minimize fat gains)....and cutting typically is half that.. but it will depend on your bodyfat% starting off, after the bulk and your cutting goals.

Nothing like spinning wheels. :smiley:

And yes if you are quite lean which I suspect you are at 140 and your height, you can get optimal results in your bulking process and keep fat gain at bay and enjoy the ride.

Do not overthink it, get plenty of protein, pick a program from the link, and adjust calories as needed so you keep a steady gain. Lift/sleep/eat and repeat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Bulk means gaining weight. Cut means reducing weight. If you're trying to gain weight and haven't achieved that yet, why are you already planning the date of your weight reduction?

Depending on starting position, I would not add more than 20% to my CURRENT energy needs if I were not at the fat levels one would expect one to be near the bottom of healthy BMI.

In fact i would be tempted to look at an only a 10% to 15% accurately measured surplus if the purpose is just muscle building and I were starting with the fat reserves one would expect to have at BMI 21+

If your are starting from an underweight position I would be going with a 25%+ surplus.

I will defer to the ladies who have posted and who know a heck of a lot more about this though.

Thanks for your advice and yah my BMI is at “21.46” it’s just I’ve been eating in a surplus for 6 weeks now and if I were to follow what my past training coach taught me it was to bulk for 6weeks then cut for 1-2 weeks but reading what people have said about this it probably doesn’t seem like the best idea now.

How much weight have you gained in those 6 weeks?

@TavistockToad
    Nothing lol my weight still fluctuates between 9stone and 9stone4. And that is what it was doing at the beginning of the 6 weeks too, sometimes it did actually fall a couple pounds under 9 stone and I haven’t gone under 9 stone in these 6 weeks not once.
    So really I would say possibly 2lb’s maximum.

Then, as I said in your last thread, you're not eating in a surplus, it if you are it's tiny.
  • kazane1
    Options

@RoxieDawn

@RoxieDawn
    Okay this is helpful thanks a lot and I have been following the PHAT workout routine and just applying heavier weights every week or two in order to increase strength. And my desired weight gain will be to just do a clean bulk so I guess 0.5lb a week and I am currently on average 130lb so my current goal is to get to 140lb and then once I am happy there I would like to get to 150lb and so on.
  • kazane1
    Options

@RoxieDawn

This advice is spot on.

@sardelsa
    Okay this is good to know thank you so from now on I will bulk for a minimum of 4months a time I can see now how this makes a lot of sense how long would you then recommended cutting for before then entering a bulk phase again?
  • kazane1
    edited March 2018
    Options

@RoxieDawn

This advice is spot on.

And yes if you are quite lean which I suspect you are at 140 and your height, you can get optimal results in your bulking process and keep fat gain at bay and enjoy the ride.

Do not overthink it, get plenty of protein, pick a program from the link, and adjust calories as needed so you keep a steady gain. Lift/sleep/eat and repeat.

@RoxieDawn
    I’m 130, 140 is my current goal to get too and yeah I am quite lean allready and I want to clean bulk in order to minimise fat gains. I’m currently eating 140g of protein would you that is and okay to amount to be eating at my weight and height?And thanks for the advice it really helps.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

@RoxieDawn

This advice is spot on.

@sardelsa
    Okay this is good to know thank you so from now on I will bulk for a minimum of 4months a time I can see now how this makes a lot of sense how long would you then recommended cutting for before then entering a bulk phase again?

Like I said, it depends on your gain and bodyfat%. For males I would typically say get around 10-12% before you bulk again
  • kazane1
    Options
    Bulk means gaining weight. Cut means reducing weight. If you're trying to gain weight and haven't achieved that yet, why are you already planning the date of your weight reduction?

Depending on starting position, I would not add more than 20% to my CURRENT energy needs if I were not at the fat levels one would expect one to be near the bottom of healthy BMI.

In fact i would be tempted to look at an only a 10% to 15% accurately measured surplus if the purpose is just muscle building and I were starting with the fat reserves one would expect to have at BMI 21+

If your are starting from an underweight position I would be going with a 25%+ surplus.

I will defer to the ladies who have posted and who know a heck of a lot more about this though.

Thanks for your advice and yah my BMI is at “21.46” it’s just I’ve been eating in a surplus for 6 weeks now and if I were to follow what my past training coach taught me it was to bulk for 6weeks then cut for 1-2 weeks but reading what people have said about this it probably doesn’t seem like the best idea now.

How much weight have you gained in those 6 weeks?

@TavistockToad
    Nothing lol my weight still fluctuates between 9stone and 9stone4. And that is what it was doing at the beginning of the 6 weeks too, sometimes it did actually fall a couple pounds under 9 stone and I haven’t gone under 9 stone in these 6 weeks not once.
    So really I would say possibly 2lb’s maximum.

Then, as I said in your last thread, you're not eating in a surplus, it if you are it's tiny.

@TavistockToad
    Yeahh I’m going too add on 250 calories and start eating at 3,339 calories now and see how that goes. Thanks for the help!
  • RoxieDawn
    edited March 2018
    Options

@RoxieDawn

@RoxieDawn
    Okay this is helpful thanks a lot and I have been following the PHAT workout routine and just applying heavier weights every week or two in order to increase strength. And my desired weight gain will be to just do a clean bulk so I guess 0.5lb a week and I am currently on average 130lb so my current goal is to get to 140lb and then once I am happy there I would like to get to 150lb and so on.

@RoxieDawn

This advice is spot on.

@RoxieDawn
    I’m 130, 140 is my current goal to get too and yeah I am quite lean allready and I want to clean bulk in order to minimise fat gains. I’m currently eating 140g of protein would you that is and okay to amount to be eating at my weight and height?And thanks for the advice it really helps.

@ 2 pounds a month, this is a 5 month slow bulk. When you reach 10 pounds gained, assess ou feel, how you look. Embrace the fat gainz you do get as these are necessary for building muscle, you can decide to keep with bulk process going to another another 5 pounds and assess. Cutting at the end of your cycle.

Protein/macros Per lean body mass (or per goal weight):
    Protein: 0.8 to 1g
    Fats: 0.35 to 0.6g
    Carbs: The rest

eta: I have fat typing fingers today.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There is no obligation to cut after a bulk or bulk after a cut. People bulk to facilitate muscle growth and cut to reveal the muscle that they have grown and avoid geting over-fat.

So, in my opinion, I don't know that I would be setting out with the timeframe of when to have a cut first and foremost. it depends on whether and what and how much you've gained as to whether you even want to cut in the first place.

You used stone so I am going to assume you're in England. And for some reason it seems that a lot of people in England weight themselves at the drug-store wearing various items of clothing and perhaps after eating or drinking and not on a home scale placed on an un-yielding surface and at the same approximate time every day after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking anything and with the same or no clothes on.

Particularly if this is the case, start using a weight trend application to evaluate your relative weight gain or weight loss. Look at your weight trend in 3 week periods and adjust your food intake and caloric expenditure IN SMALL INCREMENTS up or down to match your goals (like 150 to 250 Cal increments, not 500 Cal increments, unless your rate of weight change indicates the need for an emergency intervention).
  • kazane1
    Options
    @RoxieDawn

Okay then this is really insightful thank you for helping me with this. So if I am going by my Desiree’s weight would I do 1g of protein per lb for my desired 140lb target totalling at 140g of protein? Thanks a bunch!
  • kazane1
    edited March 2018
    Options
    There is no obligation to cut after a bulk or bulk after a cut. People bulk to facilitate muscle growth and cut to reveal the muscle that they have grown and avoid geting over-fat.

So, in my opinion, I don't know that I would be setting out with the timeframe of when to have a cut first and foremost. it depends on whether and what and how much you've gained as to whether you even want to cut in the first place.

You used stone so I am going to assume you're in England. And for some reason it seems that a lot of people in England weight themselves at the drug-store wearing various items of clothing and perhaps after eating or drinking and not on a home scale placed on an un-yielding surface and at the same approximate time every day after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking anything and with the same or no clothes on.

Particularly if this is the case, start using a weight trend application to evaluate your relative weight gain or weight loss. Look at your weight trend in 3 week periods and adjust your food intake and caloric expenditure IN SMALL INCREMENTS up or down to match your goals (like 150 to 250 Cal increments, not 500 Cal increments, unless your rate of weight change indicates the need for an emergency intervention).

@PAV8888
    Okay thanks for the tips and yeah I live in England but I have my own home scales I weigh myself on and I keep my weight tracked using this app. And yeahh I want to avoid getting “fat” so I am looking at gaining weight initially and gaining muscle and then cutting to reveal the muscle that I would of gained and repeating this process. Thanks for the insight though!
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    @RoxieDawn

Okay then this is really insightful thank you for helping me with this. So if I am going by my Desiree’s weight would I do 1g of protein per lb for my desired 140lb target totalling at 140g of protein? Thanks a bunch!

You're good. Make your protein a min. I have a pretty good idea that you have a close eye on calories and macros and that good, enjoy the process and don't stress to much. :smile:
  • kazane1
    Options
    @RoxieDawn

You're good. Make your protein a min. I have a pretty good idea that you have a close eye on calories and macros and that good, enjoy the process and don't stress to much. :smile:

@RoxieDawn
    Yeahh I like to get pretty much the exact same calories every day and I have been eating 140g of protein for about 2 months or so now and I think that this is working well for me, I will keep my protein intake at 140g then as I am aiming to get to 140lb in weight and I will workout my fat intake at a later time today and I am going to up my calories to 3,339 from tomorrow too and hopefully I will get the weight gain that I have been trying to get this way. Thank you lots for all of your help with this you have a been a great Help!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    Options
    The reason for looking at a trending weight app is so that you can have a good representation of your weight level while smoothing out water weight spikes or drops.

For example you say that you haven't gained at all. I'm on the phone and it would be painful to scroll back.

But to me the averages you talked about a few posts ago sounded like they could be a 2-3lb gain over the past few weeks which would be only marginally slower than what you actually want to achieve.

From the ground level a slow enough weight gain or loss often seems to be no change whatsoever. Yet when you look at your weight trend graph you discover that yes, indeed, you are changing as expected... it is just slow.

In other words there is a good chance that what you're already doing is working fine and that you don't need an additional increase and correction.

Unless MFP has recently changed the way they present weight, they do not do the averaging/smoothing a weight trend app does. MFP just records your daily weight.

Libra android/happy scale iphone/trendweight.com or weightgrapher.com web and i am sure many others will do the trick for you.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    @RoxieDawn

@RoxieDawn
    Yeahh I like to get pretty much the exact same calories every day and I have been eating 140g of protein for about 2 months or so now and I think that this is working well for me, I will keep my protein intake at 140g then as I am aiming to get to 140lb in weight and I will workout my fat intake at a later time today and I am going to up my calories to 3,339 from tomorrow too and hopefully I will get the weight gain that I have been trying to get this way. Thank you lots for all of your help with this you have a been a great Help!

If you go with a weight trending app, it might help you it might not. Below is a sample of my weight gain data that covers Nov 17 - Feb 24th (I bulked from October to Feb) End graph shows me reversing my surplus, fluctuations look strange but I am maintaining weight now. Just something to show if you want to trend your weight. Best of luck!

qcmbzw6raud9.png
  • kazane1
    Options
    The reason for looking at a trending weight app is so that you can have a good representation of your weight level while smoothing out water weight spikes or drops.

For example you say that you haven't gained at all. I'm on the phone and it would be painful to scroll back.

But to me the averages you talked about a few posts ago sounded like they could be a 2-3lb gain over the past few weeks which would be only marginally slower than what you actually want to achieve.

From the ground level a slow enough weight gain or loss often seems to be no change whatsoever. Yet when you look at your weight trend graph you discover that yes, indeed, you are changing as expected... it is just slow.

In other words there is a good chance that what you're already doing is working fine and that you don't need an additional increase and correction.

Unless MFP has recently changed the way they present weight, they do not do the averaging/smoothing a weight trend app does. MFP just records your daily weight.

Libra android/happy scale iphone/trendweight.com or weightgrapher.com web and i am sure many others will do the trick for you.

Okay this is great thank you for the reassurance and helpful advice :)
  • kazane1
    Options
    @RoxieDawn

@RoxieDawn

If you go with a weight trending app, it might help you it might not. Below is a sample of my weight gain data that covers Nov 17 - Feb 24th (I bulked from October to Feb) End graph shows me reversing my surplus, fluctuations look strange but I am maintaining weight now. Just something to show if you want to trend your weight. Best of luck!

qcmbzw6raud9.png

Okay Hank you for the example but I think by memory I will know if I am putting on weight and maintaining it so I dont think I will get much use out of using charts for weight gain and I do allready log my weight weekly on mfp as a backup too so that helps as a reference for me too
  • kazane1
    Options
    So is the general rule of thumb that you bulk until you get to your desired weight and then you cut for two months and then repeat the cycle then? Would this work?