Maintaining/losing small bits of weight while pregnant

Options
Me: 26, 5'3" on a good day, and 216lbs. 7 weeks pregnant and moderately active (I work retail and on my busy days my fitbit logs 16k or more steps).

I had a miscarriage late last year so I'm being a bit more aggressive in how I'm handling this go around, but unlike last year I haven't been in pain or been particularly sick.

I am fairly strong but I carry maybe.. 20-30lbs of fat that I can see losing while being pregnant and still having plenty for baby. Regardless of being pregnant, my goal isn't to become teeny tiny - it's more to be able to move better, breathe better and hopefully be better prepared for delivery.

I realized Monday that I'm having more problems adjusting to the tiny resident when doing some field work for class and having extreme difficulty getting back up a trail I've done hundreds of times before without exhaustion.

I meet with my primary who will be helping me manage and track my pregnancy next Friday and I already have a laundry list of questions on what I should be doing for exercise and how much restriction is too much. Right now I was hoping to hear what others have done in my situation, or any ideas on ways to be healthier now and after birth.

Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My situation was VERY similar to yours when I was pregnant with my son, down to the active retail job. The advice I received from my doctor, and that I think is common for women who enter pregnancy with extra weight, is not to try to restrict calories or actively lose weight at this time, but rather to work on limiting the weight gained during pregnancy. In my case, I had no appetite the first 3 months and actually lost 10 lbs during that time, unintentionally, and then gained about 20 during the 2nd & 3rd trimester, which my doctor said was perfect. After delivery, I actually weighed a little less than before the pregnancy.

Clearly, your doctor is the best person to advise you in your particular situation.

I am curious what you mean by "being more aggressive" this time? More aggressive in your weight & fitness goals, or more aggressive in your caution? And BTW, don't worry that the previous pregnancy was accompanied by morning sickness (if that's the sickness you're referring to). Morning sickness is actually a good sign in most cases that your body is doing it's thing :)
  • sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I was considered obsess during my last pregnancy, and was told never to intentionally try to lose weight. You can try to keep within your maintenance calories but don't cut any. But as always speak to your Dr please. Also on the morning sickness note, I never had any and had a fairly healthy pregnancy. I also only gained 14lbs while pregnant.
  • insomnical
    insomnical Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am curious what you mean by "being more aggressive" this time? More aggressive in your weight & fitness goals, or more aggressive in your caution? And BTW, don't worry that the previous pregnancy was accompanied by morning sickness (if that's the sickness you're referring to). Morning sickness is actually a good sign in most cases that your body is doing it's thing :)
    I was in a lot of pain from what the ER doctor thought was about week three to about week five before I miscarried. I couldn't keep anything down besides a little bit of toast and some protein shake later in the day.

I'm being "more aggressive" as in, cut out caffeine almost entirely, tripled my water intake, way more veggies, prenatal vitamin, etc. Previously I didn't know I was pregnant until a day before I miscarried.

Thank you for sharing, it's encouraging to hear about your pregnancy! This is a brand new ball park for me.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    That's great that you are mindful of wanting to make your pregnancy as healthy as possible! I don't know what your water intake was before, but I will point out that it's possible to drink *too* much water, so a little caution :)

Hope everything goes well for you! :)
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Ask for nutritional counseling would be my suggestion. The general recommendation is to gain a healthy amount of weight, and that typically depends on mom's weight at the start of pregnancy. Pregnant women have special nutritional needs, especially protein, in order to help grow a healthy baby and prevent maternal illness during pregnancy and preterm delivery. Dieting during pregnancy can make it difficult to hit those macro targets and ensure proper nutrition.

You gain weight in the form of 50% more blood throughout your body, your amniotic fluid, the placenta, the baby itself, and your breasts as they grow to feed your baby. After that, the rest is fat stores to help fuel your milk supply after you give birth. If you maintain your weight throughout your pregnancy, you're actually losing weight because all of that extra stuff weighs something and it offsets your weight loss. Your doctor will help you come up with calorie goals that you should be hitting for each trimester.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I know you said you will be seeing a doctor so that is great. Please tell the doc what you said here - that you want to lose weight while being pregnant. I am not a doctor and I think that is so not the right thing to do. I do not see how you plan on losing your 30 pounds while you are pregnant. You will be gaining from the baby and from the nutrition you need to feed the baby and you. You should be gaining weight while you are pregnant - the doctor will tell you the amount he feels is right.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Your doctor can tell you if there's anything you need to do to keep weight gain to a healthy level

I was very ill in pregnancy, gave birth at 25 weeks and had lost several stone in that short space of time. I looked like death warmed up after giving birth, became unwell and ended up needing surgery 5 weeks post partum (developed an abscess as my body couldn't fight infection from a teeny tiny scratch)
  • insomnical
    insomnical Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh no, in my sleepiness I forgot to mention that if I wasn't pregnant, I'd want to lose about 30lbs. I'm sorry! I'm very aware that the gain is from more blood circulating - though I feel I have plenty of fat stores already lmao.

Shoot. I hate when I forget that I posted something and get caught up at work. Sorry for any misunderstanding or slight panic that may have caused!
    btente wrote: »
    Gestational diabetes is a real concern. If there's anything to restrict in your diet it's refined sugar. That doesn't mean you have to reduce calories or sweet foods either!

This is one main thing - I've cut out the sweets I used to go for (though I totally went full ham on a puffle waffle from the mall yesterday) and have been having more fruit and more smoothies. I'm hoping to get a new ninja with the individual cups very soon, I haven't had a blender since I moved and miss it so much.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    This is what I would advise as someone who was obese during pregnancy (the most I gained was 85 pounds in my second pregnancy, for the other four pregnancies I gained between 33-55lbs). Focus on gaining a healthy amount of weight. Whatever your doctor advises.

Think about it this way. You have your starting weight + all of the extra fluids + baby + placenta + breasts + a little bit of inevitable fat stores. Let's say that's 25 pounds at the end of your pregnancy. In the weeks immediately following birth, that weight drops off almost completely because you're not carrying it around anymore. You can return to your starting weight pretty quickly if you focus on gaining a healthy amount of weight.

If you have extra fat stores, those get burned while you're breastfeeding if you eat at maintenance because your body uses that as fuel while you make milk. That's what nature intended. That is how I've dropped 50 pounds in almost 11 months since I had my last baby. If you're not planning to nurse, make a plan to set a modest deficit through MFP once you're cleared by your doctor and ready to tackle weight loss. Make healthy weight loss a priority after you give birth. Focus on growing a big, healthy baby for now.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    insomnical wrote: »
    Oh no, in my sleepiness I forgot to mention that if I wasn't pregnant, I'd want to lose about 30lbs. I'm sorry! I'm very aware that the gain is from more blood circulating - though I feel I have plenty of fat stores already lmao.

Shoot. I hate when I forget that I posted something and get caught up at work. Sorry for any misunderstanding or slight panic that may have caused!
    btente wrote: »
    Gestational diabetes is a real concern. If there's anything to restrict in your diet it's refined sugar. That doesn't mean you have to reduce calories or sweet foods either!

This is one main thing - I've cut out the sweets I used to go for (though I totally went full ham on a puffle waffle from the mall yesterday) and have been having more fruit and more smoothies. I'm hoping to get a new ninja with the individual cups very soon, I haven't had a blender since I moved and miss it so much.

Eating whole fruit is a great idea and the sugar that is part and parcel of a fruit is not considered added sugar for people who want to limit their added sugar intake.

Once you blend or juice the fruit this changes and the sugars in the fruit are considered the same as the sugar in your puffle waffle: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/enjoy-food/what-to-drink-with-diabetes/fruit-juices-and-smoothies