Keto diet negative effects (Sexual Functions)

Options
Hey so im dieting down and am going to be starting keto, i choose keto because ive failed so many times doing a normal diet and i just cant do it my hunger is never satisfied so this is why im doing keto as we all know it keeps you satisfied much long, so this is my 1st time going all the way threw with keto and i was jw if anyone has experienced any bad or negative side affect (ladies & men) now for the fellas i was wondering because ive read some stuff about keto affecting testosterone in a negitive way and libido have any of you notice any issues with your sex drive, Performance, erections or anything of the sort as this is very important to me i wouldnt want any negative affect down there especially because im in a relationship, thanks for all the replys anything helps.

Replies

• SirSmurfalot
    SirSmurfalot Posts: 28 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have been doing keto off and on since before everyone called it "keto". I will generally go strict keto (<25g carbs per day most of the month) for a couple of months and then loosen up a little bit (~50g carbs per day with an occasional cheat day with +100 carbs) until I start to gain weight and then restrict carbs again to keep a balance/slight weight loss.

Generally speaking, I tend to have much higher energy while on a fairly strict keto, eating carbs makes me feel bloated and crappy, especially if I slip off for more than a day or two at a time.

More specific to your question, I have never noticed any of the negative effect you describe regarding testosterone and sex drive. It just happens that I had a testosterone blood test recently and was in the high end of normal for my age group. My sex drive also seems to be just fine, I can generally have sex two or three times per day (subject to availability) before it gets unreasonably difficult to maintain performance.

Diet is only half the equation, how much and what kinds of exercise are you getting?
    I have found that can have a major effect on testosterone and sex drive as well.
    Are you getting enough healthy fat in your diet?
    Cholesterol is a basic building block for testosterone synthesis in the body.

Another thing might be electrolyte imbalance. This is the hardest thing about keto for me, I get dehydrated very easily during exercise and have to constantly supplement electrolytes to prevent feeling low energy/cramps.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As a woman, I noticed no difference at all except a slight increase in drive as I lost my extra weight. No problems for me
  • eduction6364
    eduction6364 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just to clear the air up here ik that im satisfied on keto ive dont it before but never finished my diet with it because i thought j was going to the extreme by doing it and told myself i could diet without it eating normally, but ive proven myself i cant so thats why im going back on keto.

Ive done it up to almost 3 weeks before and noticed i wasnt ever hungry but not long enough to notice if there would be any negative affects of the diet
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Just to clear the air up here ik that im satisfied on keto ive dont it before but never finished my diet with it because i thought j was going to the extreme by doing it and told myself i could diet without it eating normally, but ive proven myself i cant so thats why im going back on keto.

Ive done it up to almost 3 weeks before and noticed i wasnt ever hungry but not long enough to notice if there would be any negative affects of the diet

It's mainly people who have familial hypercholesterolemia who need to avoid keto - less than 1% of the population I believe. Some have some minor side effects like bad breath, but it is not the majority.

If it works for you, keto can be your new normal. ;) I've done it for years.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Prolonged calorie restriction affects testosterone in both men and women. It's not just a keto thing.
  • eduction6364
    Options
    Still need answers
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Why not try it for a couple months and see whether your sex drive and performance are affected or not? If there's a negative impact, reassess your diet. My guess is that there are no permanent negative impacts, just a transitory change if any at all. I'm sure your partner will be supportive of your trying something new diet-wise, and if there's a slow down in the bedroom, all you need to do is add some of your old foods back into your life. Pretty low risk, I think.
  • eduction6364
    Options
    I don't get it. Why not try it for a couple months and see whether your sex drive and performance are affected or not? If there's a negative impact, reassess your diet. My guess is that there are no permanent negative impacts, just a transitory change if any at all. I'm sure your partner will be supportive of your trying something new diet-wise, and if there's a slow down in the bedroom, all you need to do is add some of your old foods back into your life. Pretty low risk, I think.

Yeah that was the plan but i wanted to hear our from anyone who has experience doing keto to save me the potential time.