Half Marathon Training

2»

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    JessM822 wrote: »
    I’m currently training for a 50 miler in February, then continue training for a 100 miler late this year. Then returning to Ironmans next year.
    It will be a very exciting journey for you. Doing your first half, then your first marathon are extremely motivating and exciting. It never gets old crossing that finish line.
    There’s always so much advice out there on running. Just remember to listen to your body. Know when to push your body and when to back off. It’s not worth risking an injury. Race your own race, and don’t worry about what others are doing. Find out what works for your body. Everyone’s body is different.

Crazy person! My other IM buddies are trying to get me to try Ultras - I don’t like running that much

You should listen to them!!

Haha. That's how these bad habits start...... ;)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I’m currently training for a 50 miler in February, then continue training for a 100 miler late this year. Then returning to Ironmans next year.
    It will be a very exciting journey for you. Doing your first half, then your first marathon are extremely motivating and exciting. It never gets old crossing that finish line.
    There’s always so much advice out there on running. Just remember to listen to your body. Know when to push your body and when to back off. It’s not worth risking an injury. Race your own race, and don’t worry about what others are doing. Find out what works for your body. Everyone’s body is different.

Crazy person! My other IM buddies are trying to get me to try Ultras - I don’t like running that much

Only if they sign up to do an endurance open water swim with me ;) I have a 5k on the books and looking at something longer
  • deannalfisher
    Djproulx wrote: »

Haha. That's how these bad habits start...... ;)

Like I need more of those!
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member

Only if they sign up to do an endurance open water swim with me ;) I have a 5k on the books and looking at something longer

That’s impressive! I only swim fast because I really want out of the water. Not a fan of the water but it’s getting better. Good for you on the distance though!!!
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member

That’s impressive! I only swim fast because I really want out of the water. Not a fan of the water but it’s getting better. Good for you on the distance though!!!

I have only swam for fun LOL
    When I signed up for my triathlon, I was hesitant then found out it was canoeing and I was relieved LOL
  • JessM822
    JessM822 Posts: 73 Member
    boehle wrote: »

I have only swam for fun LOL
    When I signed up for my triathlon, I was hesitant then found out it was canoeing and I was relieved LOL

The swim is the shortest discipline, but is the most challenging part mentally. It still take me 300 yards or so to calm myself down during the swim portion.
  • deannalfisher
    I know I’m an anomaly - I was a swimmerbefore I started tri’s - so thexwater is my happy place
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    That plan is fine for a half. If you can already manage a 10K without problem, getting to a half will be a non-issue.

The strength training is good but not absolutely necessary within the training plan itself. Don't be afraid to skip a day if you'd rather have the rest or do another sort of cross training.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @boehle Come join us on the January 2018 Running Challenge A few of the good folks from there and related groups have already commented.
    Sign-up now - its a huge motivator. Customize what ever plan you decide to use. I use Hal Higdon but move run days around to match my life schedule.
  • DLove9321
    DLove9321 Posts: 67 Member
    training for my 4th and 5th half marathon this summer.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    DLove9321 wrote: »

Any advice? I'm new to this thread - longest run is 10 miles, but want to train for a 13.1 then 26.2.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    acbraswell wrote: »

Any advice? I'm new to this thread - longest run is 10 miles, but want to train for a 13.1 then 26.2.

if you can do 10 miles, you can do a half!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member

if you can do 10 miles, you can do a half!

Yep most training plans only go up to 10 miles for a half.
    I've got my last long run in marathon training on Sunday then I'll be tapering for my first ever marathon next month.
    From my limited experience so far
    1. Do not attempt to lose weight while training for a marathon. Runger is very real and you will want to eat everything in sight for 24-48 hours after a long run.
    2. Do not step on the scales while marathon training. As well as wanting to eat everything you'll put on water weight. Apparently I've lost a coupe of inches but my weight has gone up by a coupe pound.
    3. Incorporate hill and sprint training. It makes the longer runs and flat runs so much easier.
    4. Never underestimate the value of a good stretch session. I stretch with my PT every Wednesday morning and it really does help.
    5. Cross train I work with a PT but we do strength work as well as pylometrics, trx and other cardio.
    6. Don't neglect your core, as my PT says it holds you up as you're running.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,734 Member
    edited March 2018

Build your base first - doing a half on 35 mpw is a lot easier than doing it on 20. My best half marathons were while marathon training and running 50. If you are currently running 3 days a week, go to four. If you are running 4 days a week, go to 5. That's the easiest way to add miles to your week.

About 12 weeks before your half, find a plan that is at the same level of mileage that you are currently doing. It doesn't have to be a novice plan if you are already doing more miles than the plan calls for. (My first marathon I did an Intermediate 2 plan because I was running 35 mpw at the time).

A good half program will include at least one harder speed session each week - either intervals, hill training, or a tempo run - and will also incorporate some miles run at your goal HM pace. If you are a rank beginner, then just doing easy miles will get you to the start line, but doing well at the race requires at least some quality work.

And while you can finish a HM with your longest run at 10 miles, those last 3 miles will be a real struggle. It's a lot easier if you have already had the experience of running at least 13 miles.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    I have a 5K this summer with friends (June) and then in September I am running a half with friends and my sister. The half is what I’ve started training for. I’m using my customized plan on RunKeeper Pro. I can’t wait. It’s going to be a fun race.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    You can do it! I always use Hal Higdon's programs.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I second Hal Higdon's plans. Always come through.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member

I'm just finishing up training for a HM in three weeks. I loosely followed the HH novice 1 plan. If you can run 10 miles, 13 won't be a problem. The question is how fast you want to run it.

If your goal is just to finish, then you're pretty much already there. Keep up your weekly mileage (~25+ mpw) and throw in a longer 8-10 mile run once per week in the 3 weeks leading up to your taper to ease your legs into the distance.

If your goal is to finish within a certain time, then you're going to need to add a few harder paced distance runs (6-8 miles) into your weekly schedule to get yourself used to pushing for an extended duration when already tired. You may also want to run a couple of 13 milers later in your training to learn how to pace it.

Alternatively, start training for 26.2 and just hit a HM along the way. Easy mile training for a full marathon will definitely translate into speed at the HM distance.