Whoosh effect

Options
Posting this for all to see who are doubting themselves that they are not making progress cause the scale is not going down even tho your 100% tracking and training etc

http://pinchofnom.com/the-whoosh-effect-explained/

Replies

• Matt151288mfp
    Matt151288mfp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I’m experiencing this myself atm it’s weird most of my fat apart from the low abdominal area are feeling squishy and like there is marbles under my skin my measurements are dropping every few weeks but scale is not really moving and now I know why ....so hang in there keep doing what use are doing the scale will catch up it’s just lagging behind :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Its a good link, apart from all the ads but thanks for posting :smile:
    I'm a huge believer in whooshes :smiley:

Lets hear it for the whoosh :smiley::smile: :smiley:
  • Matt151288mfp
    Options

Lol Ano bit of a pain but good info :smile: ....you been experiencing the whoosh? Lol
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Yeah, three cheers for the whoosh!
  • tonilaporta
    tonilaporta Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Interesting read! Thanks for posting :smile:
  • rach021979
    rach021979 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

Lol Ano bit of a pain but good info :smile: ....you been experiencing the whoosh? Lol

oh regularly! :smiley: and I'm in maintenance, it happens then as much as it does when losing :smiley: .
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't have the link, but I've seen better information that shows the explanation in the article is wrong. Fat cells can't hold water, so the idea that the cells fill up with water is wrong.

The woosh is real, and the water is being help somewhere, just not in the fat cells themselves.

This is another article on the matter, but again is wrong on where the water is held.

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html/

I will see if I can find the link on fat cells not holding water.
  • Matt151288mfp
    Options
    I don't have the link, but I've seen better information that shows the explanation in the article is wrong. Fat cells can't hold water, so the idea that the cells fill up with water is wrong.

The woosh is real, and the water is being help somewhere, just not in the fat cells themselves.

This is another article on the matter, but again is wrong on where the water is held.

I’ve just upped my water in take today from 3ltrs to 6 lol flush my self out cause I know I’m holiding a fair bit of water ...so hoping this will release the water rentention
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, it explains alot!
  • Matt151288mfp
    Options
    mulecanter wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this, it explains alot!
    No problem :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options

I don't think Lyle presents the water in the fat cells as the answer, but rather as an explanation that has been put forward to explain an observable phenomenon in many people.
  • 25agirard
    25agirard Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i appreciated this today!!! I've been getting frustrated...I am just going to keep on keeping on
  • Matt151288mfp
    Options
    25agirard wrote: »
    i appreciated this today!!! I've been getting frustrated...I am just going to keep on keeping on
    Yea stick with it aslong as ur 100% with tracking etc your losing fat :)
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand why the whoosh effect is so widely accepted around here. As far as I can tell there is no scientific evidence and this community usually jumps all over any kind of “woo.” As far as I can tell weight loss is not linear. Sometimes it jumps up and sometimes it jumps down. There are an infinite number of variables that play into the jumps and it is important to keep your eye on the main point which is the downward trend.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    I don’t understand why the whoosh effect is so widely accepted around here. As far as I can tell there is no scientific evidence and this community usually jumps all over any kind of “woo.” As far as I can tell weight loss is not linear. Sometimes it jumps up and sometimes it jumps down. There are an infinite number of variables that play into the jumps and it is important to keep your eye on the main point which is the downward trend.

I'm not sure about that either but there is certainly a case for other forms of water retention that can cause weight loss to appear to stall then suddenly drop. Maybe this is why it's not challenged too much because people just assume it's water stored in muscle etc and in the end it amounts to the same thing as far as weight stalling then suddenly dropping as far as I can see.
  • niemzak
    niemzak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just experienced this for the first time-- it's fitness plan affirming :) Thanks for the encouragement to keep at it, even when progress seems to be stalled. Impact is just around the corner.
  • Ademann1
    Ademann1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just love the pictures of the fat cell. It’s adorable watching it try to justify its existence by holding on to water.

So when someone starts a new diet and they have that initial x pounds of weight loss and they get excited and others say “it’s JUST water weight” would that be fat cells becoming depleted or does that come later? Because if it was water-plumped fat cells then I would think that that totally counts as “losing weight” because you just deflated a fat cell!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Ademann1 wrote: »
    I just love the pictures of the fat cell. It’s adorable watching it try to justify its existence by holding on to water.

So when someone starts a new diet and they have that initial x pounds of weight loss and they get excited and others say “it’s JUST water weight” would that be fat cells becoming depleted or does that come later? Because if it was water-plumped fat cells then I would think that that totally counts as “losing weight” because you just deflated a fat cell!

Again, the fat cells don't hold water, despite what the article shows.

When a person starts a diet, first thing most do is cut back on carbs. Less bread, potatoes etc. What this does is reduce the amount of glycogen stored in muscles and the liver. Glycogen storage need water as well, so for each gram of glycogen lost there are 3-4 grams of water lost. You could in fact be eating at maintenance, lose 1 lb of glycogen, gain 1 lb of fat and lose 3-4 lbs of weight.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!