Need Breakfast ideas

Options
1CW87
1CW87 Posts: 5 Member
Need some healthy breakfast ideas that are low calorie and/or fat and will keep me full until lunch time. Need both on the go (for the days I wake up late) and something I can make quickly and eat at home before I head to work. The last couple days I was hungry before lunch time causing my sugar to drop some and a headache to start.

Replies

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    What about leftovers from dinner? All you would need to do is heat them up. Also, egg muffin cups are amazing and you can make ahead and freeze.
  • 1CW87
    1CW87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What about leftovers from dinner? All you would need to do is heat them up. Also, egg muffin cups are amazing and you can make ahead and freeze.

We rarely have leftovers. Lol but will try the egg cups. :) thanks.
  • kristingjertsen
    kristingjertsen Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Try 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1/2 tbsp flaxseed, 1 tablespoon mixed nuts (I use almonds, pecans, walnuts), 1/2 tsp earth balance or butter, 1/2 tsp maple syrup or brown sugar, a dash of cinnamon and ginger, and fruit (I mix it up--1/4 banana sliced, or 1/3 cup mixed berries, or 1/3 cup melon, a cut up apple, or a small date and a tsp of raisins). Have a cup of coffee or tea with 1 cup milk or a dairy-free milk ( I like Ripple Unsweetened Almond Milk and split the milk between my coffee and the oatmeal).

Another good option is scrambled eggs (2 whole eggs and 1 white) with 1/2 tbsp olive oil, salt, pepper, and spices. I usually mix in some veggies (a cup of spinach, a few cherry tomatoes, peppers, onions, sometimes zucchini, mushrooms, avocado--whatever is in the fridge). I add a slice of toast (Dave's Good Seed at 70 calories) with 1/2 tbsp earth balance or butter or 1/2 tbsp vegan cream cheese and a cup of coffee with a half a cup of Ripple Unsweetened almond milk and some stevia, vanilla, and a dash of cinnamon or unsweetened cocoa.

Both these combos have enough variety, fat, fiber, and protein to satisfy your hunger and keep you full until lunch time. If I eat really early, I will sometimes eat an apple as a snack around 10 a.m. My goal is to keep my blood sugar stable, so I don't get very hungry and overeat at lunch. Hope these ideas are helpful to you.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    1CW87 wrote: »

We rarely have leftovers. Lol but will try the egg cups. :) thanks.

You can always double up on recipes, we do this with fajitas which happen to go in our eggs cups the next day
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I tried the egg cups this week. Now, I do all my eating at work, but I need to be able to carry it in my bag and easily heat it up. The egg cups were good (mine had eggs/bacon/broccoli/cheese in them) and the were about 180 calories for 2. I have to say though that I was not full until lunch. But nothing does that for me. I keep my breakfasts at about 220-240 calories. The only way for me to be okay until lunch is on about 350 calories.
  • holytricoli
    holytricoli Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I stir one serving of protein powder into my coffee every morning. That combined with a couple hard boiled eggs should do the trick. That's roughly 260 calories. Good luck! :)
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'm a cereal eater most days. It takes less than 5 minutes. I like shredded wheat with berries or a banana or oatmeal with raisins, chia seeds and cinnamon (which you can mix the night before, add water in the morning and put it in the microwave while getting ready). Add milk - done.

I also like avocado toast. smear some avocado on a piece of plain toast, add a sprinkle of salt & tomatoes if you have them.

How about soup? Totally filling, easy to heat up.

Or get a thermos if you want to eat at work. Pack those leftovers.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
  • Rachel6xxx
    Rachel6xxx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Have you tried overnight oats? There my absolute favourite at the moment and you can choose any flavour/fruit combo you want. Make them the night before and then all you have to do is get them out the fridge in the morning, so quick and simple.
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My favorite on-the-go breakfast is to spread a tortilla with crunchy (my preference) peanut butter, sprinkle a few raisins or dried cranberries on it, and then roll a peeled banana up in it. Put some hot tea (or coffee if you like) in a travel mug, and off I go. Add a peeled hard-boiled egg on the side if you want a little more protein for not too many calories. Weigh everything as you are making it, as calories can add up depending on what, and how much, you put in your roll-up!
  • leahannhorton
    leahannhorton Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I make homemade egg mcmuffins in bulk and freeze them- I use a canning jar lid to steam eggs in a frying pan on the stovetop, and top it with a slice of cheese (and sometimes ham or canadian bacon if we have it on hand) on an english muffin. I usually get the double fiber english muffins, and the whole breakfast is around 300 calories. I also second overnight oats. Easy to meal prep for the week!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have two tablespoons of peanut butter (33g if we are being honest) for breakfast with a cup of tea. My husband makes fun of the way I slowly lick it off the spoon between sips. Unmushed nuts would be even easier to grab and go.
    OHFlamingo wrote: »
    My favorite on-the-go breakfast is to spread a tortilla with crunchy (my preference) peanut butter, sprinkle a few raisins or dried cranberries on it, and then roll a peeled banana up in it.

I assume this is a flour tortilla?

• JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I really enjoy making egg muffins, you can adjust them to your taste. I make them Sunday and they last in the fridge all week.. takes 45 seconds to heat up in the morning. And keeps me full til lunch!

I use egg whites (I buy a carton instead of cracking my own), bell pepper, onion and breakfast sausage links. Heat up the sausage and cut up. Chop up the peppers and onions and heat up in a skillet until soft.. fill muffin pan 2/3 of the way with egg white and then add equal amounts of sausage, pepper and onion, season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes at 350* I take them out of the muffin pan and let cook on a cooling rack.
  • OatmealBowl
    OatmealBowl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of oatmeal with chia seeds, pb and berries. sometimes with a side of wheat toast. does me good until lunch.

other than that I eat cereal with a banana. but I do add a snack in between.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My quick and easy breakfast is black coffee w/a bowl of 1/2 cup low fat yogurt with 1/2 cup blueberries (other other berries), 1/4 cup mixed unsalted nuts and 1 tbsp honey.

When you see it in a bowl it looks like a lot of food (because it is) and it fills me up well past noon. Total cals only about 400 depending on the type of yogurt you use.

Just had this this morning for breakfast. :)

My other fave which takes longer to prepare is black coffee w/a diced hard boiled egg sandwich w/avocado, tomato and lettuce plus a 1 tsp mayo to bind the egg; salt & pepper to taste. Total cals only about 400 depending mainly on the type of bread you use.

I only use 1 egg and 1/2 of a small avocado for the sandwich but eat the other 1/2 separately out of the shell which is included in the cal estimate.