Almond Milk vs. Skim Milk

Options
Can someone tell me the benefits of using Almond Milk over Skim Milk?

Replies

• aslm
    aslm Posts: 71
    Options
    Yeh I'd love to know this too...
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me the benefits of using Almond Milk over Skim Milk?

You mean other then the vastly superior taste? that in itself is more then enough reason for me to use almond milk.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    They are both beneficial. Almond milk does contain fat and more calcium than skim milk.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Lots of people avoiding dairy, for allergies or other reasons.

I personally just found and LOVE cocount milk. YUM!
  • For me I use Almond Milk because of the sugar and carbs in Skim Milk. Skim milk has 12 g of sugar per serving.
  • sknopps
    sknopps Posts: 166
    Options
    this might sound stupid...... does it really taste like almonds? lol
  • Amandamccl
    Amandamccl Posts: 380
    Options
    Almond milk is absolutely
    disgusting. Don't
    put yourself through that! I
    personally buy Light Soy Milk. It's
    delicious and is healthy. Skim milk
    is also gross.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Lots of people avoiding dairy, for allergies or other reasons.

I personally just found and LOVE cocount milk. YUM!

OMG that stuff is amazing expecially if you buy the vanilla one mmmmm
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    For me: it lasts longer in the fridge (I always end up throwing out half the skim milk I buy) & it allows me to have cereal in the morning & not have to worry about a dairy interaction with my medication.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options

My opinion is, not really. I like both, I think almond milk can be a bit thick sometimes....depends on the brand. I like the vanilla. Also Silk (soy milk) tastes fantastic.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    For me I use Almond Milk because of the sugar and carbs in Skim Milk. Skim milk has 12 g of sugar per serving.

Me too! I avoid refined sugar like the plague. Once I'm down to where I'd like I'll probably add back in regular milk...But I also like the almond milk taste bc its thicker--skim milk is gross to me, I prefer 2%. Any girl looking into soy milk should do some research first--there's some (albeit disputable) evidence that soy is not so great for women.
  • Reneda
    Reneda Posts: 140
    Options
    Thanks for the comments!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

it does have a hint of almond, especially if you stick with the unsweetened and unflavored kind. I love it in my cereal or in my protein shake but I would not really just drink a glass of it.... maybe if I dipped some Oreos in it, but that would kinda defeat the point. LOL
  • NWLARealtor57
    NWLARealtor57 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lactose free and easier to digest. I love the Blue Diamond unsweetened vanilla almond milk. The Silk to me taste terrible. I use mine in my protein shakes in the morning.
  • Fleshandlace
    Fleshandlace Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I never drink milk, when i do buy it, i buy Skim. I LOVE the tast of Almond Milk and Rice Milk! BUT Almond milk goes bad REALLY FAST. You have to drink it within days of opening it. :/
  • ilikejam33
    ilikejam33 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I use almond breeze vanilla in my protein shakes, becasue it has less cal, sugar and carbs. it does only stay good for 7-10 days after opening but you can buy it on sale and as long as its not open it leeps for about a year.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    It's about what YOU need. Example: I READ Labels, and I know what My Personal Nutritional needs are, I choose the foods that provide those. Soy, Animal Milk or Nut Milk may provide some of those needs. Which one is BEST is up to the individual needs. I don't use Animal Milk because I have problems with lactose, but lactose free brands are good. I used to use Soy, until I RESEARCHED and found that too much Soy is a negative for women, also I began to develop an allergy to it. I now use UNSWEETENED Almond Milk because it Tastes Great, Low Calories (35 Calories a Cup), High Protein. If I start developing an allergy to it I will go back to Lactose Free Milk.

Best Answer, Know YOUR Needs and what You are trying to accomplish with your wellness, research the foods and supplements that will get you there. Someone may be HIGH on a Food that may be Harmful for You.
  • Cokamo
    Cokamo Posts: 51
    Options
    Unsweetened Almond milk has 40 cal/cup vs 90/cup for skim. Vanilla almond milk has 90/cup and makes a far superior smoothie!
  • vanrunninggirl
    Options
    very difficult to find unsweetened almond milk in canada, isn't that odd? safeway in the states has it right on the shelf, not in a canadian safeway - only heavily sweetened vanilla.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I never drink milk, when i do buy it, i buy Skim. I LOVE the tast of Almond Milk and Rice Milk! BUT Almond milk goes bad REALLY FAST. You have to drink it within days of opening it. :/

I find that it actually lasts longer in my fridge! lol I buy the Blue Diamond unsweetened original flavor.