Looking for Low carb salad dressing recipes.

Options
bizinfi
bizinfi Posts: 8 Member
I am doing the Ketogenic diet. I am looking for low carb home made salad dressings. Also no sugar in it thanks

Replies

• verywisegnome
    verywisegnome Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    1 part olive oil
    3 parts apple cider vinegar
    salt & pepper to taste
  • bizinfi
    bizinfi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • Chip477
    Chip477 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually add some ( and please don’t laugh :p ) lemonade sugar free , together with some extra olive oil and balsamic vinegar, solutions and pepper
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love some olive oil (the light tasting kind) with red wine vinegar and pepper. I love pepper on my salad!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    like the above posters said, jus make your own to taste with oil and vinegar. There are a million kind of infused oils and vinegars to change the tastes a bit. Go to an oil store and do a tasting and see how they pair things. Store bought salad dressing is so 2017
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    1 part olive oil
    salt & pepper to taste

Noooooo! exactly the opposite

4 parts olive oil
    1 part vinegar

most restaurants use way too much vinegar in their dressing, as do commercially prepared offerings in stores. IMO this is the culprit when people say they don't like salads. It's the mouth-searing acidity of too much vinegar.

if you care to spend just a leetle time, add a little Dijon mustard to your vinegar before adding the oil, maybe add in some minced shallot.

Here's how David Lebowitz does it:

Basic French Vinaigrette

There's also a bunch of low carb salad dressings here

you'll need to scroll down a bit. :smile: enjoy
  • greenmeggsnham
    greenmeggsnham Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, little Dijon mustard and Italian spices. May also need a pinch of salt & pepper
  • huladog1
    huladog1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Garlic Caesar Salad Dressing. This recipe makes a lot and it is VERY garlicy (is that a word?). I love it, but if you're not so big on garlic, you could cut the garlic a bit. Mason jar works to prepare it in. Just add everything and shake.
    2/3 c oil
    6 Tbsp mayo
    2 Tbsp dijon mustard
    2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
    2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
    6 cloves fresh garlic
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp lemon juice
  • KetoKitty666
    KetoKitty666 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice, dried garlic, red pepper(optional but nice zing), salt/pep, Olive oil, finely chopped cilantro and enough avocado to make it slightly thicker
    Measure the oil and avocado the other ingredients are negligible in terms of recording for Keto
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Cashew cream: 1 c soaked cashews drained, 1c (or more to dressing consistency), juice of half or so lemon plus tap of zest, 1/2 tsp salt, garlic cloves or two, 1/2 tsp cider vinegar, salt to taste. Blitz in blender.
    Avocado dressing: 2 avocados, water to thin to consistency, salt to taste, garlic cloves or two, juice of 1 lime plus zest, cilantro and pepper to taste.
    I use 1 to 2 TBS serving.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hidden Valley Ranch.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Salad dressings are naturally low in carbs. The carbs are in the salad.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    MistressPi wrote: »
    1 part olive oil
    salt & pepper to taste

4 parts olive oil
    1 part vinegar

most restaurants use way too much vinegar in their dressing, as do commercially prepared offerings in stores. IMO this is the culprit when people say they don't like salads. It's the mouth-searing acidity of too much vinegar.

if you care to spend just a leetle time, add a little Dijon mustard to your vinegar before adding the oil, maybe add in some minced shallot.

Here's how David Lebowitz does it:

Basic French Vinaigrette

There's also a bunch of low carb salad dressings here

you'll need to scroll down a bit. :smile: enjoy

To each their own. I can't stand an oily dressing -- the flavor of even a really good olive oil is pretty understated, and needs a generous amount of vinegar to wake it up. If the vinegar is "mouth-searing," try using a better vinegar. Balsamic is nice, or a champagne or herbal- or fruit-infused vinegar, depending on what's in your salad. I'd say I usually end up close to 1:1 on vinegar and olive oil, or maybe a smidge more of either depending on what's in the salad (if there are no fatty ingredients like avocado, cheese, nuts, or olives, I'm probably going to go a little higher on the olive oil; if it's a salad chock full of rich ingredients, I'll probably go higher on the vinegar).

I agree it's definitely worth the time to add a little mustard (and/or honey, for somebody who isn't avoiding sugar as much as the OP) as an emulsifier and flavor booster, and I'll add any compatible herbs I have on hand. And yes to shallot, or garlic if you don't have shallots on hand, or even a little minced scallion or green onion.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    1 part olive oil
    salt & pepper to taste

4 parts olive oil
    1 part vinegar

I personally am a fan of salad dressings with a 3: or 4:1 ratio of vinegar to olive oil; too much olive oil just tastes bland and oily to me.

It's just about finding your personal preference. As other people have said, there are many types of vinegars that you can use, and be sure to use a good quality olive oil. I enjoy my dressing with regular, not extra-virgin oil. My go-to vinegar is balsamic, but red or white wine is also excellent, as is rice, apple cider or a mixture of a variety of types. It also depends on what flavor palate you're going for.

I usually add honey or mustard as an emulsifier, and because a bit of honey or sugar improves the flavor. I also add salt, cayenne, and various herbs or spices depending on the mood and the flavor I want. Go-to herbs often include tarragon, thyme, rosemary, etc. I also often add different types of ground pepper, such as cayenne, ancho, or chipotle.

Just raid your cabinets and go nuts! If you store it in the fridge, the dressing will separate, but will shake back together easily (the emulsifiers help with this, of course).

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    1 part olive oil
    salt & pepper to taste

4 parts olive oil
    1 part vinegar

I personally am a fan of salad dressings with a 3: or 4:1 ratio of vinegar to olive oil; too much olive oil just tastes bland and oily to me.

It's just about finding your personal preference. As other people have said, there are many types of vinegars that you can use, and be sure to use a good quality olive oil. I enjoy my dressing with regular, not extra-virgin oil. My go-to vinegar is balsamic, but red or white wine is also excellent, as is rice, apple cider or a mixture of a variety of types. It also depends on what flavor palate you're going for.

I usually add honey or mustard as an emulsifier, and because a bit of honey or sugar improves the flavor. I also add salt, cayenne, and various herbs or spices depending on the mood and the flavor I want. Go-to herbs often include tarragon, thyme, rosemary, etc. I also often add different types of ground pepper, such as cayenne, ancho, or chipotle.

Just raid your cabinets and go nuts! If you store it in the fridge, the dressing will separate, but will shake back together easily (the emulsifiers help with this, of course).

I just make a small batch (mixed in little handle-less tea cups I use for mise-en-place) fresh each time -- it takes so little time, and allows you to customize the dressing to the ingredients you used in that particular salad.