Calories vs protein?

Options
What is more important how many calories you have a day or grams of protein? My protein intake a day is 200grams and around 225-240 on gym days and I’m around 2,000 calories give or take a day, so is calories basically a guideline for weight? And obviously protein builds muscle so I’m trying to get bigger while staying lean......

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weight management is about calories. Protein will help you maintain lean mass (along with a good lifting program) in a calorie deficit.

I'm not sure what you mean by getting bigger while staying lean...are you cutting weight? You aren't going to get bigger while dieting.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Calories come first, then protein, then fiber & micronutrients, then hitting your fat minimum (You don't want to eat 0g of fats for example, your just *kitten* up your hormones and your well being) and at the end carbs.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    What are your stats... current weight, height, estimated body fat % ...

I'm cutting with a pretty steep deficit at 2200 Kcals and losing 1-1.5 pounds a week. I'm definitely not building any muscle on 2200 a day. Your protein intake is similar to mine - which is high for a reason (cutting and following a specific protocol)... and much higher than is normally recommended (or needed).
  • jgzunich09
    jgzunich09 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I guess I feel I should have a little more muscle since I get a good 200-240 grams of protein a day
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    jgzunich09 wrote: »
    I guess I feel I should have a little more muscle since I get a good 200-240 grams of protein a day

Is 2000 cals a day a calorie deficit???

Protein helps build muscle but you need to be purposely trying to build muscle as well.
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    I guess I’m cutting I’m trying to get my bodyfat down to 10% I just thought I would have more muscle I’m 5’8.5 and 158lbs not sure of my body % I know my BMI is close to 24......
  • RoxieDawn
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I guess I’m cutting I’m trying to get my bodyfat down to 10% I just thought I would have more muscle I’m 5’8.5 and 158lbs not sure of my body % I know my BMI is close to 24......

You guess you are cutting? Are you losing weight?

eta: determining how long you have been a calorie deficit, how steep the deficit is, how long you have been lifting, if you program is adequate enough to promote to muscle growth, the best you can do in a deficit is maintain your muscle until you finish fat loss.
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    My macros percentage is usually like this 44% fat 30% protein and 26% carbs
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    Yea I mainly lift heavy been doing it for years joints been getting sore age catching up to me.....
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Yea I mainly lift heavy been doing it for years joints been getting sore age catching up to me.....

But are you in a calorie deficit and currently losing weight????
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

You aren't going to build substantial muscle in a calorie deficit regardless of your protein. To build any kind of meaningful muscle mass, you need energy (calories) and to be in a calorie surplus. You can build some muscle slowly in maintenance, but you can't really build meaningful muscle in a calorie deficit. Essentially, you can't build something from nothing...if you're cutting weight, you're catabolic and building muscle is anabolic.

Protein, along with a good lifting protocol will help you preserve the muscle you have while you're dieting.
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    Wasn’t really going for a calorie deficit jus focused on high protein while eating lean foods
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    No been at the same weight for months
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    If you eat enough calories you'll probably more than satisfy your body's protein needs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to recomp? Eat at maintenance and lose fat and gain muscle over a long period of time?
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    I’m trying to lower bodyfat main concern was with my high protein intake I figured I would have more muscle but with the answers I received I have a better understanding
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    If I recall correctly, 1gr protein = 4 calories, 1gr carb = 4 cal, 1gr fat = 9 cal.

200 - 240g protein x 4 cal = 800 - 960 calories, leaving you 1200 - 1040 calories to trim off if your goal is to lose weight.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Wasn’t really going for a calorie deficit jus focused on high protein while eating lean foods
    No been at the same weight for months

'recomp' is a very slow process. If you want to build muscle, eat at surplus. If you want to get an edge on fat loss you can add in a small calorie deficit, re-do your goals and setup the right calorie plan for those goals.

If you want best results and you are doing your own programming pick an established program designed to for optimal results.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Your protein is quite high as well, you just need enough to support fat loss or muscle building, the rest is just wasted protein.
  • jgzunich09
    Options
    Now I feel silly for this post....