Food Servings! What a joke!

Options
2»

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I saw one that blew my mind. Product advertised as LOW SODIUM. Less than 35mg per 8oz.
    Serving Size: 12oz (50mg)
    WTH!
  • Valechka
    Valechka Posts: 192
    Options
    Same for ice cream, here in US regular "small" over ice cream shop is size is 3-4 serving sizes , kids size is 2 sizes ... So we go to real frozen yogurt place were you can get smaller size and also it has good bacteria in it, my son loves ice cream, and now it is hot here
  • uhhmandaa
    Options
    I'm pretty sure serving sizes are like that so you can eat a balanced diet. Say eat cereal with skim milk with some fruit salad and coffee for breakfast. Or Hamburger helper with squash and asparagus for dinner. Their not meant to be the ONLY thing you eat.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I think it's mostly on purpose so they can claim lower calorie content. In my case, if a serving has less than one gram of carbs, they can list zero. But 0.9 is less than 1, yet 3-4 servings of that can add up for me on a low carb diet.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind cereal is supposed to be PART of a balance breakfast. That means some fruit or juice, some protein (ie sausage, etc), it's not supposed to be the only calorie source to begin the day.

This is exactly what I was thinking! All of these pre-packaged foods are meant to be part of a meal, not the whole meal. That's why they're usually so small.