Quitting sugar!?

Options
Hey guys, so I'm eager to quit sugar since I have quite a sweet tooth. However I've been finding it really difficult since it's all around me. I need motivation! How did you guys quit sugar and how has it made you feel- hopefully better? Thanks in advance everyone!
And feel free to add me, always happy to have new friends!

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Changing profile pics might help, yours surely has to keep reminding you of it. :smiley:

Seriously I never gave up 'sugar' and it does not make me feel bad as needing to rid my body of it. Having a sweet treat is something I do each day.. I fit dessert in my calories everyday.

Ditto. If I did not have something sweet everyday I am sure I would go crazy and binge out on everything sweet when I did. To each their own, but I look forward to my dessert every night.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are you quitting all sugar or just reducing added sugars or something in between? I think that there's a lot to be said for identifying how much sugar you're comfortable with and working your food plan around that through more home-cooking, prelogging, finding savory dishes, trying new foods, etc. Knowing how much you want to have and how far you need to cut it and what kind of things you like to eat might help.

But if you want to quit all sugars, including natural sugars, I think the only way to do that is with an all-animal/oil keto-type diet? (I can't for the life of me remember what it's called right now) If so, you're going to need to get a lot stricter than I've ever been. You might seek out some of the keto groups or see if there's a group for the type of no dairy, no carb, zero sugar type diet that could help you out.

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, so I'm eager to quit sugar since I have quite a sweet tooth. However I've been finding it really difficult since it's all around me. I need motivation! How did you guys quit sugar and how has it made you feel- hopefully better? Thanks in advance everyone!
    And feel free to add me, always happy to have new friends!

BTW I also have a sweet tooth. If you think that is what you need to do then try it. I think it would be difficult to cut sugar out entirely. You might want to try figuring something into your daily calories. If that does not work for you, then you can try other alternatives. There are foods that I did not eat initially because I did not think I could control how much I would eat. I have learned that it is okay to eat what I want, within reason. Good luck.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't quit sugar anymore because it's always a temporary thing for me. Quitting sugar helps me diet, but it doesn't help me maintenance.

Instead I manage my sugar intake. I find individual portion packs help. Dark chocolate squares instead of Hershey kisses. I allow myself 2 snacks. One snack is always something sweet. The second snack can be sweet or salty (it just depends).

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I cut it out for a month as an experiment and do from time to time, but I have no desire to quit it for good.

I didn't find it difficult (and don't find it difficult to moderate). Assuming you mean added sugar (I don't think quitting the sugar from fruit, veg, and dairy, and things like sweet potatoes, is healthful), here are tips:

Read labels and cook most things from whole foods if you find you are buying packaged savory foods with sugar in them (this wasn't an issue for me, but some claim it is -- I've always read labels and mostly cooked from whole foods).

Watch condiments -- again, I don't find the amount in a condiment like, say, sriracha is enough to care about, unless you drown your food, but something to look at if you are trying to cut it all out for an experiment (most people have trouble moderating sweets and don't get lots of calories from sriracha, though).

If you put it in your coffee or tea or drink soda, switch to artificial or just start cutting back the amount you add (I didn't do this either -- I adore black coffee).

If you eat lots of sweets, well, just don't. What I found was the key for me was not snacking between meals. This actually demonstrated to me that I could consume sweets and moderate just fine too, but instead of snacking just because foods were available or I felt bad -- emotional eating was really my problem -- I would have a planned dessert after dinner IF and ONLY IF I had the calories available. But for a while I just didn't, and if I wanted something special after dinner I'd have cheese or nuts or fruit or a nice brewing chocolate (there are kinds with no sugar and which aren't sweet at all) or an iced herbal tea, again no sugar added. If you drink a glass of wine or something would work too, but I don't.
  • birdenerd
    birdenerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I cut back on added sugar but I was eating quite a bit of it when I first started logging. The key for me was finding reasonable replacements for my cravings. Like with soda I just crave flavored bubbly water and not necessarily the sugar content so I can get away with drinking la croix instead. Sometimes a piece of fruit satisfies my sweet tooth or just eating the correct portion of the sugary thing I'm craving. My self control varies so I try to buy single serving sizes. If I know it's a food I will overeat despite better judgement, I don't bring it into my home unless I have friends over to share it. I don't think I could quit eating added sugar completely though.., there are too many delicious desserts out there. Plus eating desserts less frequently makes me appreciate them a lot more now. Good luck :)
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying to steer clear of most of the usual sugary suspects (soda/chocolate/sweets) and I have instead eaten 2-3 pieces of fruit a day (usually an apple, banana and raspberries). I get a sweet hit but with the bonus of the fibre that fruit gives me.

I would say it took me 10 days to feel like I no longer had sugar cravings, and I have been successful at resisting cakes in the office.

I now add maple flavour agave to unsweetened things like Greek yoghurt or porridge oats as I feel I can control the portion I have and I don’t seem to be suffering from blood sugar spikes anymore.
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am always going over my sugar limit on MFP. It is mostly because of the fruit I eat. I am wondering if fruit should be counted as it has health benefits.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It's counting sugar. There's sugar in fruit, so it should be counted. It's not saying not to eat fruit -- whether you think it's a problem to go over a particular number in total sugar is the more significant question, and that's a call for you, not MFP (personally I don't care about sugar from fruit, veg, or dairy, but I also don't care much about total sugar -- I just make sure that my calories from non nutrient dense foods in general aren't too high).

Many think counting fiber is a better option (I look at sugar and fiber, but the sugar just for interest).
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have quit eating sweets for 6 weeks; although I have quite a sweet tooth, for the most part it was not that difficult. I just resolved not to eat sweets (sweet baked goods, candy, jam, sugar, honey, syrup, etc.), and hence just don't eat them. I do have sweets on Sundays (and also St. Patrick's Day: Irish scones, jam and clotted cream!) but on the other days, if I start craving things, I will just have a banana or a glass of orange juice instead. Some days it can be harder than others, especially since we have a lot of cake and really delicious cookies in our house from my daughter's birthday. Over the past month I have had a couple of lapses: jam on a piece of toast one day, and a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats on another day. I just brushed myself off and moved on. It does make it a lot easier to stay within my calories (I am in a cut) when I don't give into that siren song of cookies, chocolate and cake!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    I have not quit sugar.

(probably should reduce further than I have for ideal nutrition)

But I think the key should be sensible moderation, not absolute quitting - which would be almost impossible and unrealistic and unhealthy anyway.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Nancela wrote: »
    I am always going over my sugar limit on MFP. It is mostly because of the fruit I eat. I am wondering if fruit should be counted as it has health benefits.

Fruit has calories. You should log it when you eat it.
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi... I’m not quitting it but I am starting to cut the sugary snacks out. I started eating fruit as snacks and it’s working. Today I ate a candy it was too sweet after not eating candy for a while. So it gets easier. I was eating a lot of cereal bars before. After Easter I will be more committed.
    I sent you a request