Intermittent fasting question

Options
So I just stumbled upon intermittent fasting, and I was wondering if I could combine this with my low calorie diet? Currently I'm taking in 1200-1600 calories everyday, so I'm on a 400-800 calorie deficit everyday depending on how I feel. My diet usually consists of chicken, vegetable, rice and yogurt. I do light exercise 2-3 times a week, I'm a 21 YO 5'9 175 lb male. I have been doing this for two weeks.

So will combining intermittent fasting with this diet boost my fat loss process? I am confused because I was watching a video on youtube and it said that it's different from a low calorie diet.

thanks

Replies

• jozyanda
    jozyanda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    genchiyu wrote: »
    tskj70h993sr.jpeg

If you're on a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight. Intermittent Fasting is another way to restrict you from eating more than your caloric-intake allows because it's giving you a time-window if when to eat and when not to eat

ooh i see, thanks. i'll just stick to my calorie deficit routine.
  • lqmckansas101
    lqmckansas101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you tried soy sauce?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's only different in execution: with IF you eat within a certain eating window or alternate higher and lower calorie days if you're doing something like 5:2. The reason people do it is that some people find a calorie deficit easier to sustain because they can have larger meals sometimes within the same calorie allowance. 1600 calories are 1600 calories, regardless of how you choose to eat them. Fat loss would be roughly the same. If you can maintain a deficit easier on an IF schedule, then maybe it's worth it for you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so little?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting won’t make your losses increase if you’re eating the same amount of calories. All it is is a timing pattern. That said, you should be aiming for 1500 net calories (after exercise) minimum every day, and probably more.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

And eating such a restrictive diet? How are you getting sufficient dietary fat?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

As a male, this cannot be emphasized enough.

OP, if you care about your muscle, you will want to increase calories and make sure you get adequate protein.