Almond Milk vs. Skim Milk

Options
2»

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Low carb!

Soy milk has 7-8g carbs, Almond milk about 10g per cup while 1% milk has 25-28, crazy!

Both cows milk and almond or soy milk have 30% DRI calcium.
  • KnottyRae
    Options
    [/quote]

Me too! I avoid refined sugar like the plague. Once I'm down to where I'd like I'll probably add back in regular milk...But I also like the almond milk taste bc its thicker--skim milk is gross to me, I prefer 2%. Any girl looking into soy milk should do some research first--there's some (albeit disputable) evidence that soy is not so great for women.
    [/quote]

I've always used Soy Milk, after my daughter was born (and off formula) I just gave her soy milk as well. My mom is a nurse and happened upon some info saying exactly that...because of the way they liquify the soy beans it increases estrogen levels in women and so on and so on. I've not read into it too much though (being that I trust what my mom says). We switched to almond and coconut milk. My daughter L-O-V-E-S the chocolate almond milk, won't drink any other kind!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is crap. The nutrients in milk are fat soluble and your body needs fat to retain them. Also, they have to throw in a bunch of junk in skim milk to keep the consistency.

Whole milk is the way to go if you're going to do real milk (2% is acceptable too I guess).

Almond milk is tasty. Grab the non sweetened one if you can though. It does take a bit of getting used to at first, but it's good. Doesn't taste like Almonds.

Also, I generally would not recommend drinking soy milk, but that's just me.
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    very difficult to find unsweetened almond milk in canada, isn't that odd? safeway in the states has it right on the shelf, not in a canadian safeway - only heavily sweetened vanilla.

I'm in Canada and have no problems. Check the "natural foods section" of Loblaws and there almost is always unsweetened. There's unsweetened vanilla now too!

Smaller Natural Food Stores will also carry it.
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    very difficult to find unsweetened almond milk in canada, isn't that odd? safeway in the states has it right on the shelf, not in a canadian safeway - only heavily sweetened vanilla.

I'm in Canada and have no problems. Check the "natural foods section" of Loblaws and there almost is always unsweetened. There's unsweetened vanilla now too!

Smaller Natural Food Stores will also carry it.

Canadian here too, Walmart has it as well as Loblaws, no problems! Only at smaller grocery stores (i.e the old No Frill's) do they have less selection.
  • pattyproulx
    Options
    It's about what YOU need. Example: I READ Labels, and I know what My Personal Nutritional needs are, I choose the foods that provide those. Soy, Animal Milk or Nut Milk may provide some of those needs. Which one is BEST is up to the individual needs. I don't use Animal Milk because I have problems with lactose, but lactose free brands are good. I used to use Soy, until I RESEARCHED and found that too much Soy is a negative for women, also I began to develop an allergy to it. I now use UNSWEETENED Almond Milk because it Tastes Great, Low Calories (35 Calories a Cup), High Protein. If I start developing an allergy to it I will go back to Lactose Free Milk.

Best Answer, Know YOUR Needs and what You are trying to accomplish with your wellness, research the foods and supplements that will get you there. Someone may be HIGH on a Food that may be Harmful for You.

Agree with this. However, keep in mind that not everything you need to know is on the nutrition label.

Do your research (as you have done) on the different milks available if you're concerned.
  • heathersmilez
    Options

Why? Is it b/c of the estrogen level increasing theory the person above you mentioned. I'll go google that now since I'm newly vegan that's all I've enjoyed daily is soy milk - cheaper than almond but not by much so I won't be that frugal.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i use it just because its lower calories and I can make my own lattes for 20 calories, I am always hungry and every calorie counts for me.
  • pattyproulx
    Options

Why? Is it b/c of the estrogen level increasing theory the person above you mentioned. I'll go google that now since I'm newly vegan that's all I've enjoyed daily is soy milk - cheaper than almond but not by much so I won't be that frugal.

Yes, it can really screw with your hormones (primarily estrogen). I recommend reading up on it a bit more. Some people believe the risks are overstated, but I'd rather not chance it. Have you looked at rice milk? I odn't drink it, but I know that's another option as well.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    It's all about heavy whipping cream. Zero carbs and so satisfying!
  • meowthania
    Options
    Canadian here as well - I found Price Smart has a variety of brands of unsweetened almond milk - Blue Diamond is by far my favourite as it is flavorful, and a bit creamy. I just bought Earth's Own because it was on sale - but I find it to be a lot more watery (which some people may prefer).
  • iluvtosing2u
    Options
    lol No, not really Sandie (I don't like nuts either). It's sweeter for sure than skim milk, and has lower calories. I have a really quick & delicious recipe for making your own ice cream using the almond milk and it's only lik 40 cals ;-)

this might sound stupid...... does it really taste like almonds? lol
  • hcam8
    hcam8 Posts: 69
    Options
    why do you avoid milk...apart from the sugar...is dairy difficult to digest? is it bad for me?!
    I read somewhere that the quickest way to lose weight is to cut dairy from your diary

but i find without dairy i have basically no variety in my diary at all, bc i dont eat a lot of meat

what to do what to do